SATA headache

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I'm trying to help my friend set up a new box and getting very annoyed at it. It's a bog standard Foxconn mobo with via VT8237 onboard sata/raid controller, maxtor 200GB sata hdd, XP3000 cpu and 512MB of generic ddr400 ram.

The HD is detected in the VIA config tool which pops up briefly after POST, so in goes the XP cd, F6 is pressed to load a 3rd party/scsi driver. I put the floppy that came with the mobo in, up pops the menu asking which driver I want to install (XP chosen), then I get the annoying error message with

"caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

I've had a bit of a search and it seems quite common, usually path errors in txtsetup.oem, but from what I can see those look fine. I downloaded the drivers from the VIA site as well just to try on another disk, and I get the same error.

Does anyone out there know how to save my sanity?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Never mind, I found a bios option allowing me to set the onboard sata to IDE rather than RAID mode. Hopefully it won't have any performance impact, and it makes no odds not using RAID as it's the only drive in the machine. It didn't even need a 3rd party driver then.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
its better than that babs - if you disable the raid, it will reduce your boot up time :) I disabled both sata & pata RAID on my mobo and the unused IDE channels

tbh, ime, sata is a pain to set up - nice wires/connectors tho.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
my sata also took a few goes, but once it's going it's nice, especially, as smurkin said, nice wires

/me runs off to disable a whole load of RAID

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I like the wires, they're purty.
Bit of an expensive hobby though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom