Safe email service?

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
So Hotmail sux ... anyone recomend a decent free email service? not gmail btw :X

Cynix

Banned
Get an ISP e-mail, hotmail only sucks if you make stupid secret questions.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Why not the one from your ISP ?

your ISP might not support webmail, so that you cannot access it away from home, either that or it wont autenticate your pop3 mailbox unless using an isp assigned IP address.

:m00:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge said:
your ISP might not support webmail, so that you cannot access it away from home, either that or it wont autenticate your pop3 mailbox unless using an isp assigned IP address.

which is extra secure ;)

use that for your subs email address, then if you do need a reminder you'll have to be on from your ISP - a possible inconvenience but probably less so than having your account haxxor. Just remember to change the email address if you're about to change ISPs.

Then use some other email address (hotmail or whatever) for things you're not so fussed about being insecure like emailing people.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Before you goto bed / school / work or that thing sometimes known as 'real-life', wrap a condom over it. :p

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Varna said:
Before you goto bed / school / work or that thing sometimes known as 'real-life', wrap a condom over it. :p

rjo0512l.jpg

not quite the pic I was looking for but after 10min I gave up :<

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
tbh.. ISP mails can be read tho.. im on a DSL provider now.. but can still get msg's from my old cable provider.. (email stays open for a year after ormst). Just need to know the real mask/ip of that server. Sending however is different.

So basicly, there's no safe email :p _ Hotmail is as good as it gets free.. if someone can hack hotmail, they can hack any webmail based site.

What you can try is, getting a mask over your hotmail. Maybe you got a friend with a website.. and he can forward all msgs send to say you@friendssite.url to your@hotmail.com :>

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the reason hotmail is insecure is because people pick stupid security questions.

If you have an ISP email you need to have your password to get into it - if you lose the password you phone up customer support and prove who you are, rather than answering a particularly stupid "what is the colour of an orange?" style question.

Your account is only as secure as your email password and your email password is only as secure as it is hard to recover.
When your password is protected by a mindless security question it will get hacked, and people using hotmail tend to pick stupid security questions ;) ISP emails don't tend to have that problem because they don't give you the opportunity.

MaCaBr3

Banned
scorge said:

The 2nd reason would be secure - yes - but pretty stupid, because what would all those traveling customers do when they wanna check their mail abroad.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
MaCaBr3 said:
The 2nd reason would be secure - yes - but pretty stupid, because what would all those traveling customers do when they wanna check their mail abroad.

thats what i was talking about..

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge said:
thats what i was talking about..

how often do you need to request a new subscriber password when abroad?

Use ISP mail for secure things, get a hotmail for other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom