News Ryder Cup

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
So why was it the number 1 trend for all the days it was on, rather than just the last couple of hours?

Stop talking horseshit. I hate the boring shit as well, but you're talking shite.

hahahaha is that the argument you are seriously trying to use?

"It can't be dull because people are talking about it on twitter"

I think DaGaffer answered you perfectly well.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I think the point being made is that the Ryder Cup is very much enjoyed and talked about by a very wide global audience; even my mate's girlfriends were into it. To say that it was dull because "golf is dull" is like saying "the champion's league final is dull because my mate's Sunday league game down the park is dull". There is no comparison between stroke play golf and team based match play. Gaff's narrow minded view that golf is for a bunch of dullard business types displays complete ignorance and says more about his social circle than the game of golf.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
hahahaha is that the argument you are seriously trying to use?

"It can't be dull because people are talking about it on twitter"

I think DaGaffer answered you perfectly well.

You can't read can you? I also shared the opinion that it was shite, but evidently you completely ignored that in favour of showing yourself up to be a bit of a spacker.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You can't read can you? I also shared the opinion that it was shite, but evidently you completely ignored that in favour of showing yourself up to be a bit of a spacker.

I can read.
Your opinion is irrelevant for the point being discussed.
You are resorting to personal insults.

I think the point being made is that the Ryder Cup is very much enjoyed and talked about by a very wide global audience; even my mate's girlfriends were into it. To say that it was dull because "golf is dull" is like saying "the champion's league final is dull because my mate's Sunday league game down the park is dull". There is no comparison between stroke play golf and team based match play. Gaff's narrow minded view that golf is for a bunch of dullard business types displays complete ignorance and says more about his social circle than the game of golf.

I didn't dispute the fact that some people enjoy it. That doesn't stop it being dull.

Lets take your example. The Champion's league final this year was awful. If you had to watch a match like that every weekend you would rapidly become as dull and repetitive as Turamber. The only reason people kept watching it was because it was the final. If that had been a friendly between Chelsea and Bayern nobody would have cared, in the same way if it had been your mate's Sunday league game.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I know I'm always trying to force that website down peoples throat on here...but it really is a cut above almost all other sports journalism that I've read!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I know I'm always trying to force that website down peoples throat on here...but it really is a cut above almost all other sports journalism that I've read!

Yankee sports, GTFO! ;) :p :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Golf is for dullard business types. To deny that is patently ludicrous. And there's nothing narrow minded about that assertion. Golf is also ecologically damaging and elitist. For the record, I caddied when I was a teenager. And by the way, your sunday league/champion's league analogy makes no sense; even badly played, the intrinsic rules of football don't change; there may be different levels of skill involved, but I'd contend that your analogy shows complete ignorance about football and the reasons people turn up to watch Port Vale on a wet Tuesday in November. Same applies for golf, even played with skill, its still two blokes walking about a field in bad knitwear.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Btw, read 3 of their articles, excellent writing.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Prefer crazy golf myself, real golf is just a nice walk with some putting thrown in.

old.user4556

Golf is for dullard business types. To deny that is patently ludicrous. And there's nothing narrow minded about that assertion. Golf is also ecologically damaging and elitist. For the record, I caddied when I was a teenager. And by the way, your sunday league/champion's league analogy makes no sense; even badly played, the intrinsic rules of football don't change; there may be different levels of skill involved, but I'd contend that your analogy shows complete ignorance about football and the reasons people turn up to watch Port Vale on a wet Tuesday in November. Same applies for golf, even played with skill, its still two blokes walking about a field in bad knitwear.

You're talking utter fucking bollocks. Sometimes you post well educated facts, other times you just make it up as you go along because you don't like to be wrong.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Even if it is boring or isnt we still stuffed the americans good and proper and we can all be happy with Europeans that do that :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
DaGaffer said:

You know, in all my time of being on this forum, and that's a while now, I don't think I have ever read such an ignorant, clueless pile of retarded donkey toss as what you've just posted there. I play golf twice a week, normally with a teacher and an NHS worker, in a club full of posties, plumbers and retired coppers. Ite a chance to get out in the fresh air, chat rubbish with your mates and enjoy a game of skill you have to use your brain for. OK it's a bit more complicated than kicking a leather clad bag of wind from one end of a field to the other, but some of us can cope with that. If you don't have the skill or intelligence to be any good that's ok, I won't mock, I'm sure there is something more suited to you. But to dismiss the game as dull because you don't understand it is the behaviour of a simpleton.

Not sure I follow where you've got golf is bad ecologically from either, just what part of the square miles of grass and woodland is bad precisely? All the wildlife and the vegetation on your average course? If our.course was to close, the first people to buy the land would be housing.companies, I take you would prefer that?

You will probably never understand the satisfaction of crushing a drive 300 yards, or sinking a monster putt, as from the sounds of things your mind is probably closer to the prospect. However I feel perfectly justified in saying, that is your loss.

DaGaffer

Scottish mafia defending their only contribution to world "sport". Big surprise. Love the claim that its an intellectual challenge. If it was, you wouldn't be doing it. QED.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Shitting hell, agreeing with Bodhi, I need a lie down.

The golf course just outside our village is the only thing stopping the ever creeping spread of nasty housing estates.

The sport itself I will take or leave, I play now and again but have never been any good at it.

DaGaffer

Shitting hell, agreeing with Bodhi, I need a lie down.

The golf course just outside our village is the only thing stopping the ever creeping spread of nasty housing estates.

The sport itself I will take or leave, I play now and again but have never been any good at it.

You need to look at the issue globally. Most golf courses are about as Biodiverse as The Sea of Tranquillity. Golf courses are intensive over-users of pesticides and in a lot of developing countries there are even protest movements to stop Golf courses being built on wetlands or even coral reefs! Then there are the unintended effects; like Japanese golfers flying every weekend to Guam and Hawaii because they can't get membership of local clubs. In golf's defence, its cleaned up its act a lot since the 90s, but its still not exactly a paragon.

Bodhi and G need to lighten up and recognise taking the piss for what it is. And by the way Bodhi, the "satisfaction" of hitting a ball with a stick...really? Hardly solving Fermat's last theorem is it? And for the record, I do know how to play golf, even if I did have to learn to play right-handed (another reason it annoys me, its "leftist"). I still find it boring. But what really boils my piss is how its wormed its way into boardroom culture in the UK and US and you're looked on as a weirdo if you don't play the stupid game. I've lost count of the number of corporate events/team building/exec retreats I've been invited to put together by some unimaginative dullard based around golf days. At first I used to play anyway, but now I won't as a point of principle.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah I know they are but its still better than a sea of semi detached houses and mid range family saloons.

old.user4556

Bodhi and G need to lighten up and recognise taking the piss for what it is.

Scottish mafia defending their only contribution to world "sport". Big surprise. Love the claim that its an intellectual challenge. If it was, you wouldn't be doing it. QED.

You're being a troll, and rather fucking crap one at that with your borderline racial slur. I'm not rising to it because we both know you're wrong.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I play Golf, I'm fooking shit at it, but it's a good few hours away from the missus with the boys, taking the piss of each others 4 foot mis-hits, and high fiving and fist pumping when someone lashes a drive straight down the middle, or chips in of the green. £10 quid for a round and a bacon butty on the 9th hole aint expensive at all, for a good few hours entertainment in a 4 ball.

DaGaffer

I'm not rising to it

Bit late for that.

You're being a troll

I think you need a better understanding of trolling. This is a disagreement. Bit different see? You think a game that allows you to wear interesting knitwear and has the concept of servants who carry your stuff for you is great, based on observation and actual experience, I don't.

... your borderline racial slur.

Oh do fuck off. You're a bit quick to throw the racism accusations around lately. If I'd called you a skirt-wearing ginger cunt with rampant heart disease and cirrhosis of the liver, that would be a racial slur. But I didn't.

old.user4556

Wow - you really are a patronising, belligerent cunt. I feel sorry for you mate :). Another for the ignore list.

On that note, I'm out of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom