Running two accounts...

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone know how to control two DAOC accounts on one PC with two monitors and two keyboards at the same time without having to alt-tab between programs? The PC is more than high enough to handle it GF6800, 3.4 Extreme Pentium, 4GB ram blah...Any suggestions - no ideas how to go about this atm...
:confused:

Thelonius
L50 ML0 RR1 Speed Freak...

DavidH

Part of the furniture
lol, you sure wasted a lot of money on that comp :twak:

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Who said i bought it out of personal funds? :) Any more helpful suggestions anyone? :m00:

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
dont htink you would be able to as one instance of daoc would be in the foreground and would have the keyboard usage while the other would be in the background effectively minimised.

One possible solution would be to run them both in small windows (800*600) on a 1600*1200 res monitor, that way its a simple mouse click to switch between them.

i just use 1 keyb/mouse have main account running in 1600*1200 and the other in 800*600 and alt tab between, with the main char on the 1600*1200 and a char that doesnt do much on the other. if you will be using 2 characters actively i would just suggest getting anotehr computer :p

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
2 base units is really answer

If your budget can stretch it get another low powered base unit & KVM switch unit & a usb data link cable. I don't think there is a better way to run 2 accounts than this. The switch from one alt to another is more or less instant. So much so that i could heal inbetween strokes using my buffbot on the low powered. Infact there were instances in darkness where my sb was attacked by an inf and i could switch to my buffbot so fast he effectively couldn't kill my sb.

How this works is this:

top notch base unit for your main alt
low powered base unit for your buffbot (not too low powered obviously - my own is or was a 1300 cpu with 512 mb ram though.)
kvm switch connects both units to one keyboard/mouse and monitor (available from ebuyer - at least it was).

No need to go too large on the monitor either because some 'collapse' before showing the other comp. When i played DAOC in places where i knew i would get attacked i would swap monitors from my monster 22 inch to a 19 inch. That way using the kvm switch would display my buffbot or wotever instantly with no delay on the monitor.

It is a very neat setup and you wonder how you ever managed without it after you get it nicely settled. Obviously this is networking so you really need xp on both as it sets them up very quickly and easily.

MKJ

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Ta for the idea - will give it a tinkle - i get stuff very cheap (trade prices), and a large amount of stuff i can slap onto the budget of a company i do web design for (mugs!), since their loaded. Ta muchly :clap:
2nd PC is probably out of the question at the moment...But soon...soon my prettys...soon :)

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Why not do like that crazy alb fire wizard, who got 4 accounts (4 different computers though) and used a single keyboard to make all 4 chars fire at the same time LOL.

Bleam

Fledgling Freddie
I got 4 too

50 Paladin - Main tank!
50 Cleric - 40 Enhance / 36 Rejuv ftw
47 Theurg - 6sec ftw
43 Minstrel - PS/Speed/Abla, wot ya need more :x

poisono

Fledgling Freddie
Ive just got 2x PC's set-up both over 2Ghz running and both got good RAM and Gfx card's :)

The other day I had 3 accounts 2x on me buff bot Shuttle and 1x on me main gameing machine was nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom