Runemaster or Spiritmaster

S

Sigurd Volsung

Which should I choose? And how should I spec them? And please don't use abbreviations like PBT as I have no clue what half of them mean ;)

Runemaster: You can be a dwarf. You get a great AOE spell for RvR. Get a speed spell. Epic Armour is the best in Midgard. Gets groups easily thanks to bladeturn spell (correct me if I am wrong about that)

Spiritmaster: Pet classes are always a good laugh, and having ghosties fight for you sounds pretty cool. You get mez, which is at the moment unstoppable, and in the future also rez I believe. Can also heal a bit.

Runemaster - great in groups in rvr, Spiritmaster - better solo in rvr, I believe.

So, any tips on why I should choose one over the other? Bear in mind I have never played a caster before :)

D

Damon_D

Spiritmaster gets da rocking PBAOE = point blank area of effect . its a massive dmg dealing spell , who deals waves of major pain to peopel close to you, if you can manage to survive, you can actualy kill quite some peopel with this bugger I belive , but we must wait till 1.52 to get it , so no real experience yet. But all in all its comes down to how you like to play . RM's are the rocket launchers of midgaard , SM's cant hit that hard from afare , except for full specc darkmasters, but got some nice xtras and the pbaoe landmine effect later

O

Old Nicodemus

Runemaster: You can be a dwarf. You get a great AOE spell for RvR. Get a speed spell. Epic Armour is the best in Midgard

Runemaster armour is nice.... but the best Epic armour is the Spiritmasters ;)

No contest.

Nicodemus
Spiritmaster in funky Epic clothing! Yay!
Moooo! RP COW! :m00: Hit me!

R

runirstel

Agree about that best-looking armour Nico. However i wouldnt choose a dwarf if you want to play caster, yes they are small but have a great deal of Con which is nearly unusable as a caster (You'll die anyway if you get hit) so if you're planning on a damagedealer my opinion would be that you should go kobbie/Runemaster and high specc in Darkness.

O

old.ViscountCharles

Runemasters are the easiest to play. Select target, mash the nuke button til it blows up. Only real subtleties are how to avoid aggro, power management and when to Root 'n Run. Fun, though.

Spiritmasters come with a much more varied bag of tricks - even the all-dark SMs, who are nukers with their own tank. My SM is a real jack of all trades - he heals, nukes, mezzes, roots, debuffs and has his own little tank to manage. Much more varied, soetimes trickier.

SMs are easy to solo - with an AoE mez and a tank to act as peeler, getting jumped by aggro mobs is not often fatal (unless they are puple) - fire off an AoE mez, throw pet at whatever mez hasnt stuck to, and run like buggery. In small groups, because they do so much, they can often make up for the lack of one other class type. It's only in a big group where they struggle to find a role where they pull their weight. And all-SM groups are great fun (soon to be made much, much better when we get the point-blank area nuke).

I live both my casters, and haven't really played my tanks much since I rolled the casters.

O

old.Zarff

dorffs r good casters cuz of the conc beleave me.... u'lll b sooo glad when a fire wizzi bolted u twice and leave u with xx hp instead of being a dead kobie with 0 hp left...

J

Jonaldo

Zarff is a bitch to kill so yes, and I always target 1 Kobolds 2 Norse 3 Troll and Dwarves last so really dwarves last the longest just cos they have more hp's and I want to kill the easiest first before mez wears off/ is purged

I

ImLestat

Unfortunately, dwarves can't become SM's, or I would have done that when I made mine. :)

S

Sarnat

RM, IMO, has 2 good specs.

Full suppression for a nice DD and very good AE (3s casting time, 130DD vs. 4s casting time 150DD in RC line) and of course, 6s pulse bt.

Darkness 47, supp 26. You don't really need the debuff or the AE that bad as you wouldn't get pulse bt with those. The debuffs are on a 20s timer, too. Probably using only the spec DD results in same damage, or maybe more than 1st using the slower and worse damage + debuff and then using spec DD. AE only breaks mezzes anyway ;P

Some people also spec 50 darkness 20 suppression, but are left without pulse bt which makes you less wanted in groups.

SM: either darkness or suppression. No SM should spec summoning above 4 or something, unless you really really want the rezz spell at 21 summoning or something. Probably get more bang for your buck if you spec both darkness and suppression.

Suppressions SMs are great for PBAE groups (once they get the PBAE...) Probably very easy to level IF you get the right group together.

Darkness gives you nice nukes and a life tap to heal yourself with.

Also some nice mezzes in SM lines, PBAE in darkness and single target and AE (after 1.52) in some line, forgot now which one.

I

ignore

Originally posted by old.Zarff
dorffs r good casters cuz of the conc beleave me.... u'lll b sooo glad when a fire wizzi bolted u twice and leave u with xx hp instead of being a dead kobie with 0 hp left...

U positively sure it isnt because of that buffing troll called Zarffi that sits at the mpk? - just wondering - :D

O

old.ViscountCharles

Nothing. Well, bolts are of limited application (great range, but do no damage most of the time if anyone else has the same person/mob targetted), the area of effect damage spell is of limited application (it can bring unwanted adds or break mezz), and the baseline nuke is weaker than Dark spec. But a lot of runies can live with that. FWIW, it's probably the best spec to solo with, as the bolts work properly then.

O

old.Zarff

i can't use zarffi atm so it isn't him doing the job :D and about rc..if the upcomming bolt fix isn't effective enuff im gonna respecc to darkness....

S

svartalf

Originally posted by Sigurd Volsung
Which should I choose? And how should I spec them? And please don't use abbreviations like PBT as I have no clue what half of them mean ;)

Runemaster: You can be a dwarf. You get a great AOE spell for RvR. Get a speed spell. Epic Armour is the best in Midgard. Gets groups easily thanks to bladeturn spell (correct me if I am wrong about that)

Spiritmaster: Pet classes are always a good laugh, and having ghosties fight for you sounds pretty cool. You get mez, which is at the moment unstoppable, and in the future also rez I believe. Can also heal a bit.

Yeah runey gets groups coz of PBT.

SM gets to res if they spec in a line that is good for nothing else to 23. TBH, most SM don't spec it for 2 reasons :
1) What good is it to you that you can rez? (kinda selfish but totally understandable), and
2) to spend points elsewhere.
SM also gets one of the best mezzes in all the realms.

Runey kicks butt, but don't be a dorf, nobody likes dem fat, ugly, smelly guys :p

O

Old Nicodemus

Ok... <cracks knuckles>

I didn't have time to post a proper reply earlier, so here it is now!:)

Runie
====

You like things to go boom? Then a Runie is for you. Each race has it's advantages. Kobold is weak in Hp but quick, Dwarf is Strong in hp but a bit slower and the Norse is in between.

Spells are very grp friendly. You have three viable spec lines and you can solo things.

Spiritmaster
=========

The Spiritmaster is a complicated char. You have to be devious to play it. You have a large number of spells to play with and you have a built in butler too ( I call mine Jeeves ;) )

In the bad old days Groups would shun an SM as one zerker once put it " They choose to play a solo character so let them solo " (that may not be word for word... but the zerker in question knows who I'm talking about ;) )

However, having grouped with a few people and quite happily proved that I can be useful (best way is to pull purple mobs. don't do anything on one apart from nuke and watch peeps struggle. Next one debuff the mob and watch it drop pretty quickly!) People don't think debuffs work.. boy are they wrong! When you have 2 area debuffs that can stack with target ones then mobs (and RvR players) are going to suffer.

The two best specs are the darkmaster (47 dark for top life tap) and the suppressor (49 suppression for THE AoE damage spell.)

However......

Don't neglect summoning. a lot of people forget about the butler service. I've specced to 23 summoning to get the rezz. Jeeves (my pet) can quite happily hold his own against red and purple mobs. I'm not saying he can solo them.. far from it. I'm saying that in a large grp taking on ... ooo let's say Drakuluvs in Malmo... I have managed to peel Draks off of healers, off of myself and off of tanks. Even managed to out aggro a Thane! (trust me the complaint was long and loud.. "HEY! Jeeves just took that Drak away from me!!" )

So what to spec as a Spiritmaster? Well.. it's easy. Whatever you damn well feel like! It's so hard to screw your char up. The SM is the most versatile and most forgiving char to play. You play the Spiritmaster the way you want to. (like all chars really) There is no right or wrong way to do so.

What's the draw backs? We only really have 2 proper spec lines, Dark and Supp. Summoning is a bit lacking atm. Hopefully this will change, but if not no problems. We lack the distance that runies have (however if the enemy gets too close we have them for breakfast ;) ) and we sometimes get shunned from grps as preconception of the SM is still a bit dubious.

(oooo! Debuffs or PBT? PBT wins hands down)

So the choice is yours. Both are great Chars to play. Both will give you endless amounts of fun, and in the end that's what it is all about.

Plus there will always be people to ask in game. Most will be happy to help.

So roll your Mystic.. go on! You know it makes sense. :cool:

Nicodemus
Spiritmaster in funky epic clothing! Yay!
Moooooo! RP COW!:m00: Hit me!

O

old.Noita

LOL Nic RP Cow hit me?

Shouldnt that be RP cow MILK me?

:m00:

:)

Anyway go go SM, we are the Uberest of the uber, we come from scuber duber land and we are more uber than a Uber bag stuffed full of Uber things from Uberville :)

Have fun

Toodle Pip

O

Old Nicodemus

LOL Nic RP Cow hit me?

:m00: :m00:

Moooooooooo! ;)

Well it stems from the fact that while i'm mezzing everything I can, our tanks neglect me.... so I end up eating grass very quickly. ;)

So good old Farmer Alb is getting his Rp's off of me. :p

Noita Helsdottir (In cryogenic suspension-account closed-for now )

So taking a quick dip in the Yggdra lake then? :p

Nicodemus
Mooooo! RP COW! :m00: Hit me!

O

old.Jeriraa

Originally posted by old.ViscountCharles
Nothing. Well, bolts are of limited application (great range, but do no damage most of the time if anyone else has the same person/mob targetted)...

They are bugged and once they are fixed you will see alot of people whining about 'Uber Runies' (if there are actually Carving specced runies out there). There is another thing about Runcecarving that wasn't meantioned yet: Carving Runies get a groundtargetable AE with the next patch. I dunno about its worth in PvE but if it builds up aggro as slow as pbae it might become as handy as the SM pbae. In PvP its gonna help a bit to get rid of all these Hibs who camp the lord room and spam pbae like mad.

Looking forward to blow you up. :clap:

O

old.Noita

Kind of... just cant get DAoC to run on my PC at the moment :(
(Nor much of anything else since reinstalling WinXP)
And Im not going to pay for a game I cant play, have been having probs for about 6 weeks now so...hopefully I will get the probs sorted quickly and come back sooner rather than later. I will be back though :)

O

Old Nicodemus

Kind of... just cant get DAoC to run on my PC at the moment
(Nor much of anything else since reinstalling WinXP)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP :puke:

nuff said.

Hope to see you back again soon!

Nicodemus
Mooooo! RP COW! :m00: Hit me!

F

Fafnir

All i can say is search on google. using following sentece "go to hell" what pops up first in the list but Microsoft... :)

O

old.Noita

Hehehehe thanks Fafnir... you always make me feel better when Im a bit down :)

D

Dook_Pug

Runie hands down :p

Runspeed, PBT, UBER Bolts (well they will be next patch), average DD, excellent AE and the option of being a Dwarf.

There is no contest :D

Oh and I almost forget! Rune of Decimation! LANDMINE GO BOOM!

O

old.Zarff

just 4 the record..rms were über back in the days but we aren't ne more...earlier u could kill equal con caster with 1! rc bolt..that's far from wot u can today...yes there will b a bolt fix...but after wot i heard it doesn't change the world...rms can't eg. do much vs hib casters cuz of their stun..sms can use their pet to interrupt em...i would say sm>rm

B

Biermann

Gimme a hibcaster now please!
Give runies baseline stun! And a lvl50 baseline darknessnuke or a speccline rc-dd! And fix bolts! Then i´ll stay with runecarving. Otherwise it´s 50dark 20supp when respecc comes.

EDIT: Almost forgot, gimme a 50rc 50dark 50supp focus staff!
or at least a 43dark 47rc 26supp one :)

O

old.Hannible Lector

i had a SM.. once...and a runnie. i found the runnie better...only just...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom