Rule change needed for mr12?

B

[BFTD]BigD

Played a game last night and after starting we had a storming first round, where one of our players killed all 4 of the enemy (1 had dropped part way through). It seemed like the perfect start, but immediately the admin paused the game. No request came from the opposition to restart the match, but after being paused for 3-4 mins, we then waited another 3 minutes for them to get their 5th back.

The match was then restarted and they won the important first round, 2nd round and then a few more....

I had read and understood the rules before this season so I knew this was a possibility.

c) Should a player drop from the server during the first three rounds of either half of a game, the admin may, at his discretion, allow the game to be restarted if one of the clans requests it. Restarts can not normally be granted after this point. Please note that restarts are only available subject to time-restrictions and that the admin is not required to allow one.

Now I could possibly understand this rule if the division was CO, but with MR12 then having the possibility of restarting after 3 rounds (1/4 of the half) is frankly taking the p**s.

A dodgy clan could take full advantage of this to enable a restart if they had got off to a bad start and wanted another go, as we could have last night after we lost 3 after the restart, but we are an honest clan.

What I would like to see is a 5 minute (max) pause only with no restart (MR12 divisions at least).

Please consider this, as internet connections aren't the best and one simple drop could ruin 3 rounds (1/4 of the half) of good work by one side.

R

RtG

Ooer missus.

Once a game is started officially I think the only reason for it to be restarted is if in the first 10 seconds of a round one of the two teams asks for a rr because somebody has lagged out/dropped/TK'd etc.

In the situation that Big D mentioned the admin was correct to pause at the beginning of the next round to allow the guy to reconnect but restarting the game is crazy. Pistol rounds are so important in MR games so fingers crossed Rogue1 et al will change the rule.

GLtC ( RtG )

A

andersschm

I agree here. If somebody drops in the first round then a restart seems fair as long as the team has stopped and asked for a restart. I have had occassions (not in BWCSL) when one team will have someone drop and play on - then when they lose ask for a restart which is not right.

However once the first round is underway and the teams are advancing on each other I don't think the match should be restarted. However the admin should pause and wait if his team requests it and the admin believes it to be a genuine disconnect. (not running off to the toilet or stalling to allow team to prepare tactictally etc)

Not sure of the consistency here though - we played DISS last night and they started the game with 4 players. After the first round they dropped to 3 players and then it was 5 minutes into the CO game before two people joined to bring them up to 5. There was no pause or restart - don't know if they asked for it or not.

Although this is CO and not MR12.

B

[BFTD]BigD

Yeh tbh either CO or MR12 its an issue. Once you start, that should be it, though at the end of the round, a pause should be allowed, but only up to 5 minutes per half

R

RogueOne

I've already replied to this via e-mail, so to save time, I'll copy and paste the relevant sections of my mail.

After taking feedback before the start of season 4, we decided that the importance of pistol rounds and the rounds immediately following was so great, particularly in games with MR12 rules, that wherever possible, we should endeavour to ensure that clans were not unfairly penalised if a player should drop during them.

I've reviewed the server logs for the BFTD/MAWR game last night and it appears that a MAWR player did indeed become disconnected from the server during the freezetime at the start of the pistol round, leaving MAWR a man down for this round. As such, I do not believe that the round that followed was a fair indication of the teams' skill levels and the restart that the admin gave was justified both by our rules and by the spirit of fair-play.

Admins are authorised to ignore a request for a restart if they believe that a player has deliberately dropped from the server after his team has lost the pistol round. However, looking at the logs, the MAWR player dropped before the pistol round had even properly begun and as such, there is no reason to suspect that this was his intention.

It's all very well saying that you had a storming first round and that this was taken away from you, but judging by the result of the game when it was played 5v5, it's tempting to say that this round was only "storming" because you had a numerical advantage. Pistol rounds are important... which is why we prefer to have them played 5v5 wherever possible.

B

[BFTD]BigD

Fair points, my general post wasn't really about last nights game, it was more about the 3 round rule. If a player had dropped just before the end of the 3rd round, the rules would seem to allow a restart, and that is a bit dodgy when you only have 12 rounds total.

I guess looking at it I have no objection to restarting if a player drops in the first round, but after that it really should be game on.

As you can see this wouldn't have helped us last night but hopefully it can be clarified for the future, that once a game is one round old (both sides being equal) then the game is on.

Therefore I would suggest the rules are amended to take out the 3 round restart bit and replace it with 1 round restart.

D

DrSilent

To add some clarity to the situation i was actually the player who dropped. I had joined the server but went AFK straight away becasue of an emergency. I then hit my power off button to drop me after i yelled in our irc for a replacement unaware the game was just starting.

Sorry for any problems this caused, i can understand [BFTD] comments.

The demos should confirm that i was AFK as soon as i got on the server and the game was started with me AFK so that first round was 5v4. This certainly wasn't done to gain any sort of tactical advatage and i'm sorry if it caused issues.

B

[BFTD]BigD

Like i said, no problem with the game, u out played us on the night, it was more to do with the 3 round rule, which I think needs looking at.

Dropping 1st round, restart perhaps, but after that its a go.

So in the game v MAWR we would have still restarted.

E

Echo-Flame

I think its fair to restart if a player drops during the 1st round, but not after that. As the guy said, some of the more unsavoury clans will abuse this if they lose the pistol round. Imo, once the pistol round is over with 5 on each side, there should only be the opportunity to pause if a player drops, not restart.

Users who are viewing this thread