Motoring Rover 25

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Anyone know why these cars are so cheap in comparison to other makes of similar age and mileage?

I thought it was a one off, but Ive noticed it at lots of different dealers!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Few things.

1. Rover don't exist as they used to be. They do exist in a chinese counterpart's manufacture though.
2. Parts. Before any uninformed twat comes on and says OH DOOM AND GLOOM YOU CANT GET PARTS - it's bollocks as they are abundant.
3. The engine. The K series engine (assuming it's a manual petrol model) is one of the reasons we have so many small cars with big engines and big cars with economic engines. Without the K series, cars wouldn't be how they are now. However, due to a couple of design flaws in the otherwise revolutionary (revolutionary in the early to mid 90's that is) the head gaskets are prone to popping. If you look after it though and drive it properly, they should be just fine.
4. Driving properly. Rovers are often bought by old bastards pottering along at 20mph on motorways in case their flat caps get blown off by the air conditioning or open windows/sunroof. The K series doesn't like that, it's a revvy engine designed to be driven properly. So, ironically, something that's been ragged will probably do you up to 150-200,000 miles without hitch. Something that's been driven by Miss Daisy will fall apart if you so much as risk using the seatbelt.

Otherwise, they're not half bad cars. Cheap to run and tax, cheap to get the parts for & do up.

tris-

Link may not work but here is one I spotted. 18k miles for £3k seemed half decent for a 5 yr old car.

Auto Trader UK - ROVER 25 1.4 iL

Not sure what you mean by K engine. It is a Rover 25 1.4iL

Kryten

Old Cow.
K series engine (which that is) is just the model of the engine itself manufactured by Rover.

That's not half a bad car IMO. Smaller engine cars up to 1.4 are a premium price due to the obvious tax reasons. Best to check up on it's emissions etc first to see where it falls into the tax banding too.

For comparison, look at some larger engine cars. I've seen 04 plate vectras and mondeo's go for the same price as that privately.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Don't like them (I was saddled with one as a company car many moons ago) but there's nothing intrinsicly wrong with them and despite Rover being gone, parts are cheap and plentiful (its not like you need to use the dealer network).

tris-

Why don't you like them?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Head gaskets will fail with that engine. I know :(

Kryten

Old Cow.
See above. Also check the history to see if it's had it done. With luck, if it has, it's been done properly and the uprated gasket fitted.

Did mine the day after I bought it on the 400, and I sold it still going strong at 110,000 miles (68 thousand after I bought it). As a result, had one of the smoothest cars I've driven (including many a brand new car). Very reliable motor.

tris-

what about a Vauxhall Corsa, any experience of them?

Theres a couple 1.2Li floating around here. one of them has about 25k on the clock for not much under £4,000. about 4 years old.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Personally I would say look for something like a VW Polo, Seat Ibiza/Leon or a Toyota Corolla/Yaris.

I did like the Rovers though, I thought they were fun to drive.

tris-

Had a Polo before and it went totally tits up.

It kept stalling every time I slowed down, so fuck that again.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Seen plenty of Rovers on their original gaskets pass the 200k mile mark.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Had a Polo before and it went totally tits up.

It kept stalling every time I slowed down, so fuck that again.

my 99 golf did exactly he same, never worked out why so replaced it.

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 1lite Corsa. it's cheap to insure, cheap to run and drives me from A-B. Gear linkage has been replaced, exhaust, oil pressure switch, boot struts, parcel shelf 'pegs' keep breaking and £8 a throw, both seat catches gone so can only put rear seats down with the aid of a screw driver, it now sounds like a tank due to ticking (prolly timing chain or something [I think I read that somewhere]), if the cigarette lighter fuse blows you lose reverse lights, uhm, I'm sure theres more.

So for 59.5k miles and a grand total of 7 years old I'm not overly sure they're the greatest of cars but it certainly does the job.

tris-

Ended up purchasing a corsa sxi 1.2L. About 4 years old IIRC and 40k miles on the clock.

The garage gave us £500 in part exchange for an N reg 106!

Gumbo

FH is my second home
The garage gave us £500 in part exchange for an N reg 106!

Sounds like they were desperate to turn over the corsa :p

The headgasket issue isn't so bad on the 1.4 as that was the size the engine was designed for in the first place. It's far more prevalent on the stretched, 1.8's, especially when they are lugging around heavy freelanders or getting stressed in cars like mine. Kryten is right though if it does go, and it's fixed properly, it should then outlast the rest of the car. My Elise has done 55k on the original head gasket now, so I'm expecting it to let go pretty soon, but I don't fear it. I'll fix it properly and be good for another 100k at least.

tris-

Sounds like they were desperate to turn over the corsa :p

Im not really sure they were to be honest. There is nothing actually wrong with it. It was previously used as a demonstration car (sat looking shiney in a shop) and then had one owner.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
tris-, check the oil in the Corsa regularly, two people I know have had problems with oil leaks with Corsas.

Google for it, seems to be a few recorded cases on the web.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I wasn't serious hence the :p To be honest there are fantastic deals to be had out there on trading in, as the dealers are desperate to get cash in, any cash, and profit on the deal isn't whats going to get them through the week. Of course that's no good in the long term, but when the red bills start falling on the carpet you'll take what you can get.

tris-

Ooooo.

Well he initially said 100-200. He fucked off inside and said if you do it this week before the MOT finishes i'll do it for 500!

(Theres about 2 weeks on the MOT and all old cars the garage sends to auction).
If someone wants to give you 500 quid for an N reg car that leaks fuel then you may aswel rip their hand off and eat it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom