Router proxy problems?

Vae

Resident Freddy
Using a netgear DG834 router (which I'm sure is the culprit) and Nildram ADSL.

Whenever I go to a new website (i.e. I haven't been there before) the first attempt always fails and says it can't find the url. Upon resending the request the requested page loads. My father's got the wireless version of the router and experiences the same problem.

It seems to suggest to me that the router is in someway using a proxy (or is there a proxy on the ADSL connection and just conincidence both routers are having this issue) but this seems unlikely to me. Anyone got any suggestions about what is causing it?

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Never heard of a proxy on a router before. Nildram also AFAIK dont use any sort of standard or transparent proxy cache.

I would suggest looking at the DNS address given to you. If its the IP of the router try changing your DNS settings manually to Nildrams.

DNS Primary: 213.208.106.212
DNS Secondary: 213.208.106.213

Is the firmware also upto date?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Indeed the symptoms are indicative of a DNS setup problem, with the first queried DNS server either timing out entirely or taking 'too long' to answer the query. Change the IPs/order in config and see if it helps.

If it was a proxy you'd just get a longer than normal wait for the page load (unless the client is set to a stupidly short timeout on connections).

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom