Router problems

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Ok , so I have ntl cable broadband (2mbit) .. recently ive had to move pc into my bedroom. The current setup is that the cable from the street goes into the router , then I have a ethernet cable going up from one room , into the loft and then down to my bedroom (no more than 10 metres).

The problem is , that daoc lags and im not sure why. I sometimes go linkdead when the rest of my net is working perfectly but most of the time its just delay lag , perf meter goes red for 10 seconds maybe.

is this due to the length of the cable ? i can also use wireless , but this seems to have the same random spiking problems

please give ideas/suggestions

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Succi said:
Ok , so I have ntl cable broadband (2mbit) .. recently ive had to move pc into my bedroom. The current setup is that the cable from the street goes into the router , then I have a ethernet cable going up from one room , into the loft and then down to my bedroom (no more than 10 metres).

The problem is , that daoc lags and im not sure why. I sometimes go linkdead when the rest of my net is working perfectly but most of the time its just delay lag , perf meter goes red for 10 seconds maybe.

is this due to the length of the cable ? i can also use wireless , but this seems to have the same random spiking problems

please give ideas/suggestions

10Meters is nothing,I would do a traceroute and see what your pings are from you to the DAOC server and lookat your ISP the first 3 or 4 hops.

Wireless will prolly cuase you more lag over all,

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
It's only once every 5 minutes or so , so I cant see hows its a traceroute problem :/

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
also when I use the cable , the middle perf metre in daoc stays red for up to a minute... I can see everything carrying on around me yet the server wont react to any of my commands

I tried running pingplot and it seems I get 100% packetloss in the first few exchanges, just gone ld again writing this post proving that IE is working fine

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Change cable 1st of all, second check ethernet card settings (tho think u already disabled Offload Checksum etc), if your router was linked via usb before could be even the router ethernet port faulty (to make sure that's the case u could try wireless connex).

MaCaBr3

Banned
U probably have a faulty network cable. Try to borrow one of someone u know and see if it helps.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Still having this trouble , about 3 seconds of freeze lag every 2 or 3 mins. Its shown in daoc by the middle bar on perf meter turning yellow then red.

can somebody show me correct settings for network adapter ? see pic

Attachments

• networksettings.JPG
    networksettings.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 28

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
search this forum for checksum offload, that can probably fix the problem of a minute long red middle icon where you can see people but not respond..
[EDIT] already turned off on your picture... good....

for the other... run a prolongued traceroute... we gotta know where the problem is before we can fix it...

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
if you used to use the cable modem by USB indeed check to ethernet port on the modem.

i recently migrated my inlaws cable modem to ethernet, and the pins in the port on the modem wer not raised enough and it wouldnt get a reliable connection with network cable.

think i used a mini screwdriver to lift all the prongs up some more and now everthing is fine.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Succi said:
Still having this trouble , about 3 seconds of freeze lag every 2 or 3 mins. Its shown in daoc by the middle bar on perf meter turning yellow then red.

can somebody show me correct settings for network adapter ? see pic
Looking at that pic, 1 thing comes into my mind...
It says it's network card #2 (unless that card got some strange name including #2) - you sure you're not having some conflicts there :confused:

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
trouble is , I havent got a clue what im doing with networking .. here is ss of my network connections page. I'm not entirely sure what the 1394 connections are, read somewhere that they're required for each inet connection... not sure if im meant to have two of them.

Attachments

• rgwrgw.JPG
    rgwrgw.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 17

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
the 1394 connections are just your firewire ports, dont worry bout them.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Succi said:
trouble is , I havent got a clue what im doing with networking .. here is ss of my network connections page. I'm not entirely sure what the 1394 connections are, read somewhere that they're required for each inet connection... not sure if im meant to have two of them.
Post screenie of your TCP/IP settings instead of firewire :D

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
sounds like some hardwareproblem somewhere, start in one end and just follow the chain.

Cable could be faulty, wouldnt be surprised at all if this is the cause, faulty cables are more common than most think. Test a new one that is tried on another PC without a problem. Sounds like the problems arised for you when you moved the PC and plugged in that cable=cable is to blame, might have misunderstood you tho :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom