Router Help.

E

ECA

Never setup/used a router before.

Its on a cable connection ( not mine I'm helping someone out ).

BY.

It will run in several modes, pppoem dhcpc, static ip, router.

I've got it running in static ip +nat, and its saying its connected and this is further than the blokes got :/

To do this I had to clone the mac address.

I cant get the pc on the net though.

The router and modem are on the same subnet, do they need to be on different subnets for it to work?

Any ideas? Or links :/

W

Will

Use DHCP. Cloning the MAC address is correct, which is why the router is connected, but it will not be handing out IPs to the LAN correctly. DCHP is the easiest way to get around this.

God, so many acronyms.

K

kameleon

And don't forget to forward ports if you want to play games etc on the pcs

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by kameleon
And don't forget to forward ports if you want to play games etc on the pcs
but you can only do that withOUT DHCP on. anyway to just play games theres no need to bother with forwarding ports, only if you want to host them.

M

MYstIC G

You can port forward without turning off DCHP, just make the lease time "forever" and your machine should keep its IP.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by MYstIC G
You can port forward without turning off DCHP, just make the lease time "forever" and your machine should keep its IP.

Very true. Also, on some DHCP servers it's possible to bind an IP address to a mac address - so that specific users will always get the same IP even if they switch off, or if the router reboots. Not sure how standard such a feature is on retail router boxes, since this is from a Linux Smoothwall router setup, but if you have a similar feature then it may be what you're after.

Q

Quige

Don't forget to set the default gateway on your client PC's to the internal LAN IP of your router. If using DHCP this can sometimes be set in the DHCP scope.

A

-adz-

It has to be dchp, blueyonder's ip's they give you aren't truly static and change every now and again

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by -adz-
It has to be dchp, blueyonder's ip's they give you aren't truly static and change every now and again
Mine hasn't changed in 6 months, but then the CM hasn't been turned off or fucked up in 6 months. Guess it depends on your region dude.

Q

Quige

Originally posted by -adz-

Just because the WAN port on the router keeps having it's IP changed by the ISP, doesn't mean that you can't have the internal LAN port static, along with all the other machines on your network having static addresses.
I mean I have DHCP running for guest machines, but servers and main workstation are on static., gf laptop on DHCP reservation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom