Ronald Reagan Dies

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Blimey. I'm starting to feel old.

Athan

Resident Freddy
ZzzZzzZzzZZz.

Still at least it's distracting people from talking about BB for a while.

-Ath

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Good luck to his family and everything, but as far as it goes, he was fucking useless as an American president really :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
throdgrain said:
he was fucking useless as an American president really :(

True indeed. Still sad though, but he's had a good innings.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
we might now find out if he was porking Maggie Thatcher as Spitting Image "inferred" slightly

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
He was a total ****. Good riddance.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Tell me why most of you think he was useless and a **** ?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Tell me of one ex world leader who people thought did a good job, apart from Winston.

They all seem to be remembered for their failings rather than their successes.

At the time, another 8 years without nuclear devastation was a decent enough accomplishment for me really. Also how much did his presidency contribute to the death of Eastern European communism? I'm no historian so a google-meister would need to fill me in.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Gumbo said:
Tell me of one ex world leader who people thought did a good job, apart from Winston.

They all seem to be remembered for their failings rather than their successes.

At the time, another 8 years without nuclear devastation was a decent enough accomplishment for me really. Also how much did his presidency contribute to the death of Eastern European communism? I'm no historian so a google-meister would need to fill me in.

Bill Clinton? :p

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Gumbo said:

Personally - Gorbachev.

old.user4556

dysfunction said:
Tell me why most of you think he was useless and a **** ?

He was an actor, he was good at saying prepared lines with charisma. Catch him out, or quiz him on things he wasn't prepared for and he came across as knowing nout.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Reagan ruled! Only president who wanted to prepare for an extra terrestial attack! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Xtro said:
Personally - Gorbachev.

Ooooh, Good one, and nicely Reagan related.

Mandela, not totally convinced, nice guy for a terrorist (freedom fighter), and another charismatic dood. Also an iconic person, but was the destruction of apartheid actually his doing? How much input would he have had from his little house in prison? Would it have happened anyway? Did he ignore the spiralling aids crises in his country when he had the chance to make a difference? Did he do anything to arrest the enourmous rise in crime? Have I asked too many questions?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Big G said:
He was an actor, he was good at saying prepared lines with charisma. Catch him out, or quiz him on things he wasn't prepared for and he came across as knowing nout.

Yes thats a great reason for hating the man... :rolleyes:

old.user4556

Kindly find the place in this thread I said I hated him.

I agreed he wasn't much of a good president, but he at least had a personality.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Gumbo said:
Ooooh, Good one, and nicely Reagan related.

Mandela, not totally convinced, nice guy for a terrorist (freedom fighter), and another charismatic dood. Also an iconic person, but was the destruction of apartheid actually his doing? How much input would he have had from his little house in prison? Would it have happened anyway? Did he ignore the spiralling aids crises in his country when he had the chance to make a difference? Did he do anything to arrest the enourmous rise in crime? Have I asked too many questions?

I would say he was a key person in preventing a complete blood bath due to a civil war. Things could have worked out very differently in South Africa if he decided to take revenge...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Big G said:

You answered my question "why he was a ****?" with he didnt know very much!!

old.user4556

Yes, i agreed he was useless. Cnut is too far.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
dysfunction said:
I would say he was a key person in preventing a complete blood bath due to a civil war. Things could have worked out very differently in South Africa if he decided to take revenge...

Yeah the truth and reconcilliation thing is a brilliant idea, I wish more of the resolved conflict parts of the world could take it on board.

Still, I wonder what would have happened if Mandela had pulled a Mugabe and decided that bloodbath and revenge was the way ahead, maybe it would have made all the white South Africans flee the country and move back to the motherland.....

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If anyone is interested you can watch Reagans Funeral Procession on BBC2 right now

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Big G said:

Actually, after a lousy run of Presidents (Nixon - bent, Ford - shoe filler, Carter - inept) Reagan was a definite improvement. Not that many of us who became adults during his time thought so, but history has a way of changing one's opinion. He presided over a massive military build up in the US, which we all thought was a terrible, but it bankrupted the Soviet Union end helped end the cold war. He also resided over a continuous growth period for the American economy (partly a side-effect of the military spend at first), which had been on the slide all through the seventies. Of course there's plenty of dodgy stuff like the Iran-contra affair, but there's no such thing as a clean politician in my book anyway. Certainly, if you look at the three presidents before him and the three who've followed, he wasn't that bad.

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
He was one of the most important US presidents after WW2, did some good did some bad. Overall he was a good president for the USA at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom