Rome : Total War

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone play RTW? just got it and it is really good. Wondering if there is anyplace to go to get more historic battles to add on to it??

Wij

I am a FH squatter
No idea but...

THREAD HIJACK !

I'm completely fu><0red in my game atm. I started off really well as Brutii and had all of Greece and Macedonia, plenty of Asia Minor and all of Gaul, plus a few other bits and bats. I was raking in about 10k a turn and got up to about 350,000. Then the bit I don't remember...

The Mrs went to her mother's for the night and since I'd already been out twice that week I thought "Time for quality booze and gaming !"

I vaguely remember that the Marius (?) reforms occured and that I started conquering Spain. Pretty sure I did nothing to antagonise my Roman allies though. Anyway, when I started it up the next morning I had about 3 denarii in the bank all my cities were making huge losses. They all required nearly the maximum possible army to keep unrest above 85%. I was at war with all Romans (not too bad in itself as I outnumbered them massively.)

What the hell do I do now ? Is this normal ? Should I have eased back and stockpiled more cash before risking becoming too popular with the people and taking more provinces ? Will taking Rome make my cities less rebellious or more profitable ? Nearly all my HUUUUUGE army is required to keep order now, how can I raise some surplus army with no cash ?

It's still only 210 B.C. did I go too fast ?

Argh help plz :/

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Hahahaha my advice is quite simple, Lay off the booze mate!!!!!

If I was in your position i would go for it and see if you can take Rome, it will either make you or break you. Having so much unrest in your cities is no good at all, saps the life out of your bank!!!

I'm not as far in as you, but i control all of spain, briton, gaul and just started on germania and north african provinces. My problem is i keep forgetting to move my fleets and failing to complete senate tasks of blockading ports :(( so my standing with the senate is 1 poxy symbol, but with the people its 4 from max. I can't attack Rome yet as my faction is not high enough.

Oh and I never lost a battle yet!!!!!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I own most of Europe all there is left is the Russian and middle east areas which are still owned by Egypt and the rebel forces, I have begun a huge invasion of northern Turkey, the only civil unrest I have is in Germany who will not settle under my rule, and their armies appear in the hundreds, which is causing a huge drain on my finances as well as my army.

My wars against the other families were over b4 they began for some reason the Scripi and Bruti kept all their Family in Italy and when I came down the coast they had no where to Run, they were crushed within 4yrs.

It is now 155BC and my armies and fleets are numerous though half of my forces are still made up of Town Watch, but the Legion's and Preatorians are replacing them whenever they can. Only the Egyptians stand in my way, The greek cities only own Cyprus and have joined in the war against Egypt, the sycthians are the only other power left but are allied with me, so not long now.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
But does being at war with Rome cause all my civil unrest ?

Will taking Rome cure it ?

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
It didn't for me, it helped but as a temp measure move your capital to where the worst of it is, most unrest stops straight away, or at least goes blue.

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Give it a go and let us know what happens!! Might come in handy to know.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Wij said:
But does being at war with Rome cause all my civil unrest ?

Will taking Rome cure it ?
Getting rid of unrest seems to be pretty much the biggest challenge of middle-late games. From what I've seen, the best way to deal with unrest is by preventing it in the first place, mainly by exterminating or enslaving the populaces of cities you take, rather than occupying.

One after-the-fact strategy is to move your forces out of the towns, let them rebel, and then reoccupy them, exterminating as you go. No more unrest. You could also give the province to a faction you're at war with as a gift, hence avoiding the rebellion, and immediately retake and exterminate/enslave, which is probably a cleaner idea.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I used to occupy, but now I always exterminate the population. Specially as my armies are always on the move and I can leave a couple of units in the city and go on.

A reasons why your big cities have a negative income(which adds to unrest), is if you have too many low population towns. Your armies are funded according to a citie's population, so big cities pay alot more than smaller ones. Playing as scipii(best roman faction, imo) I have 5 major cities and about 25 towns. I was going through a phase of disbanding my armies and mass producing peasants in the larger cities, which are shipped over to small towns and disbanded to help them past the 6000 mark(after that the population will rise fairly quickly). Once I have 25 large cities, it's just a simple matter of conquering :p

For a nice boost in sea-trade income, capture the island of rhodes(iirc) with the statue of colossus.

Britons are a pretty fun faction to play, their archer chariots are lethal!
You can unlock all factions by editing this file:
Rome-TotalWar\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt

Code:
playable
	romans_julii
	romans_brutii
	romans_scipii
	egypt
	seleucid
	carthage
	parthia
	gauls
	germans
	britons
	greek_cities
	romans_senate
	macedon
	pontus
	armenia
	dacia
	scythia
	spain
	thrace
	numidia	
end

unlockable
end

nonplayable
slave
end

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
pretty easy to unlock all the factions with out cheating just do complete it with 2 different factions on the quick mode. and in my opinion germans own all the romans

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The romans are boring, I couldn't go through a campaign with them :p

Another thing which makes romans easy: send a small force to follow one of the other roman faction's army. When they stop close to a city/enemy army, attack it with your unit and the roman army will aid you. During the battle, just sit back and let the romans fight for you, when they win you get the city!

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Lots of canny tips here, thanks guys. I didn't about the unlocking other factions!!! only had the game for 2 weeks.

Your right about them briton chariots though, they are nails!!!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
if you get bored with the original RTW then try the realism mod:

http://www.rometotalrealism.com/

adds a few new features and the latest version adds shed loads of new provinces (even upgrades the map so you can invade as far as the border to india)

of course the downside is that everyone suddenly has loads of towns + city's within easy reach meaning huge armies clashing.... if thats a downside :p

the game also ends slightly faster (or you go bankrupt faster, depends on how you play :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom