/roll over /random for drops

K

klavrynd

I'd really like to know how the seed for /random is generated.

I bet its generated on your name or accountname or something , because some people roll really high all the time and others can't seem to get over 50 when doing random 100

roll 100 > random 100 and imo much more fair as well

/random gives you 1 chance in 100 (1% chance) whereas roll gives you 1 chance in 6 * 100 (16.6% chance )

maybe i should dig up the old statistics book

discuss etc

P

pcentella

Originally posted by klavrynd
/random gives you 1 chance in 100 (1% chance) whereas roll gives you 1 chance in 6 * 100 (16.6% chance )[/B]
I dont understand where the 16.6% comes from (100/6 probably, but don't understand the "meaning") but, anyway, I'm pretty confident that "/roll 100" is the same as doing 100 "/random 6" and adding it all, so probably the same seed is used for both.

In the end, I think both methods are equally valid or fair.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

You really only need to seed a random number generator once. The last number generated seeds the next. My bet is that the RNG's get seeded at server start-up. When rolling, you'll all be using the same RNG (it's a server side thing). That some people 'seem' to get high numbers is just coincidence. It all works out fairly in the end.

N

-Nxs-

Change the rules for your group /random then.......

LOWEST NUMBER WINS :)

F

Flimgoblin

we actually did that - one fellow rolled a 1 for three items in a row so we let him win the third one :)

Klav - basing on one random event rather than 100 random events will still give you the same chance of winning/losing.

I

ImLestat

Hmm. I don't really see what you mean here. Yes, you are talking of seeding, but after that I just don't get it. If you do /random 100 you end up with a number ranging from 1-100. If you on the other hand do /roll 100 you almost always end up with a number close to 350, because 3.5 is the avarage number on a dice. Explain...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom