Roleplaying in Current DAOC RvR

Reignfire

One of Freddy's beloved
Want to know what peoples definition of roleplay is in DAOC.

My definition is: pretending to be someone else and how that person reacts in certain in game situation and to learn.

In DAOC atm especially in the RvR scenarios are getting reduced day by day. Some people can not roleplay at having 'honour' as they get killed or banned by Mods for not 'adding' or for watching.

New players are imo getting lead down the 'adding' route as now they are not allowed to learn through watching 1 v 1s.

In the past we had players like Talivar who 'roleplayed' at having honour having 1 v 1s and not 'adding'. People were allowed to watch fights (Usually at OF Odins) with no interference.

Mckennitt

Loyal Freddie
Nightsend wrote: Want to know what peoples definition of roleplay is in DAOC.

My definition is: pretending to be someone else and how that person reacts in certain in game situation and to learn.

Almost there mate.

There are many different types of roleplaying and surely it does matter where u refering too. 'Dueling' surely doesnt belong in Camelot era ( im refering historically ) therefore its totally out of the games backround.

The 'dueling' & 'learning' type of dueling u refering too comes from the Eastern history ( Japanesse mostly ) and unfortunately it cant co-exist in this game.
As far as my knowledge goes there was no dueling happening on the Camelot era since the people were somewhat savages and barbarians when it comes to battle. So its more like to 'kill on sight'.
However the game mechanics do allow this eastern type of dueling u and few other peeps like. Simply target your friend/ally and do /challenge xxx
In conclusion:
a true roleplayer ( very very few left in camelot as im aware ) would never ask for duels in RvR regions for the honor and glory as clearly the theme of the game is different. Fake roleplayers however do so.

Again this is based historically hence where my opinion on this comes.

Regards
Mck

Reignfire

One of Freddy's beloved
Historically yes but from the Plate armour etc this seems like its set in Malory's version of Arthur therefore in his version of it there was 'honour' 'chivalry'

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
There are many different types of roleplaying and surely it does matter where u refering too. 'Dueling' surely doesnt belong in Camelot era ( im refering historically ) therefore its totally out of the games backround.

In conclusion:
a true roleplayer ( very very few left in camelot as im aware ) would never ask for duels in RvR regions for the honor and glory as clearly the theme of the game is different

l have come, a wild boar of the herd, before warriors, before troops, before hundreds, to thrust you beneath the waters of the pool... It is I who will slay you, for it is I who can. The defeat of their hero in the presence of the Ulstermen, may it be long remembered, may it be to them a loss.

Per Diad to CuChullain before their duel

Celtic heros often used their chariots to arrive in style
They would then stride up and down the enemy lines before the battle commenced and call out opponent they thought would give them a good fight.

The camelot game is based on the mythology of the arthurian cycle in the case of albs, the ulster and earlier mythological cycle in the case of hibs, I'm not sure about the scandinavian myths tbh, Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation is about as much I know of scandinavian mythology (although technically its an English poem).

But both in real historical terms, wether it be Gauls vs Republican Romans or the Irish Scotti tribes cattle raiding one another or in mythological terms from Nuada vs Balor or the many duels of CuChullain

Duels were a very important part of warfare

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My idea of "roleplaying" is honourable 1v1 fights, however daoc's CoC/SOTG/whatever completely misses the point. The time period this game is set in. Warriors would call each other out in the battlefield and have 1v1 fights ofc there was the mass battles too but fights between evenly matched warriors would have been respected.

Lots of people hide behind the roleplay banner to defend their playstyle, they wont ever admit that they add and grief purely for cheap RPs.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The 'dueling' & 'learning' type of dueling u refering too comes from the Eastern history ( Japanesse mostly ) and unfortunately it cant co-exist in this game.
As far as my knowledge goes there was no dueling happening on the Camelot era since the people were somewhat savages and barbarians when it comes to battle. So its more like to 'kill on sight'.
However the game mechanics do allow this eastern type of dueling u and few other peeps like. Simply target your friend/ally and do /challenge xxx
In conclusion:
a true roleplayer ( very very few left in camelot as im aware ) would never ask for duels in RvR regions for the honor and glory as clearly the theme of the game is different. Fake roleplayers however do so.

You should read up on your British and Celtic dark age "history" then, around 500AD, where the legend of Arthur and Camelot come from.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Historically yes but from the Plate armour etc this seems like its set in Malory's version of Arthur therefore in his version of it there was 'honour' 'chivalry'

Chivalry is a funny one
The concept of Chivalry really didn't develop until the anglo-norman knights were exposed to the middle eastern cultures during the crusades
Before that the english aristocrats were nothing more than ill-educated thugs who just happened to have a horse and chainmail.

Despite raping their way around the middle east with the french and italians amoung others, all in the name of god, the crusades did have a "civilising" influence on the english warrior caste.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
Per Diad to CuChullain before their duel

Celtic heros often used their chariots to arrive in style
They would then stride up and down the enemy lines before the battle commenced and call out opponent they thought would give them a good fight.

The camelot game is based on the mythology of the arthurian cycle in the case of albs, the ulster and earlier mythological cycle in the case of hibs, I'm not sure about the scandinavian myths tbh, Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation is about as much I know of scandinavian mythology (although technically its an English poem).

But both in real historical terms, wether it be Gauls vs Republican Romans or the Irish Scotti tribes cattle raiding one another or in mythological terms from Nuada vs Balor or the many duels of CuChullain

Duels were a very important part of warfare

Nordic mythology holds numerous records of "duels" where Vikings would challenge a powerful opponent to a duel for either glory or vengeance.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
repped Aiteal =)

There is also a very old german story called the "Hildebrandtslied" where father and son meet on the battlefield (but the son doesn't believe that his opponent is his father) and they fight alone, while their armies await the results. My old German teacher was an asshole, but he knew his shit when it came to germanic tribes, so he told us that this wasn't a rare event. Often the leaders of two armies would fight and the outcome would have a real impact on the moral of the troops. Kinda interesting tbh =)

Maybe a bit OT (but only a bit, as there is some kind of relation to the other posts I think =)) ), but I think it's a real shame that some topics can never be discussed without someone starting to throw in random insults. Really a shame I wasn't at home cause I would've loved to give my opinion and I guess there are more people who feel like this. Bad luck now all the posts are closed and I don't want to start it all over here, cause I think the discussion is interesting =))

P.S. Yes mods, if you read this, that's a /beg to open at least one thread again or make a new one yourselves :wub:

Mckennitt

Loyal Freddie
Aiteal wrote: Duels were a very important part of warfare

There were a few occasional duels but that doesnt mean it was their way of battle and surely history proofs that. They were a few odd dudes doing it but it cant be classified as camelot tradition or way of living.

The dueling Night is refering too was in comparison with roleplay and certainly there was no roleplay there. None pretended to be someone. It was real what they were and what they've done. The true meaning of roleplay is putting yourself in not an actual/real fact but rather something u/they wish to be and pretend.

Raven wrote: You should read up on your British and Celtic dark age "history" then, around 500AD, where the legend of Arthur and Camelot come from

Although im no british i believe i know a good share of knowledge in the subject. Feel free to point me out where and when exactly dueling was their way through battle. As clearly it wasnt. As mentioned above it was the few odd people and some GREAT heros that were leaders and had a few duels as a proof of their power and word among the rest commoners. Their battle style was way savage to maintain a healthy and honorable dueling system for them to get recoqnized as duelling era.

Solari wrote: Nordic mythology holds numerous records of "duels" where Vikings would challenge a powerful opponent to a duel for either glory or vengeance.

That was pre - camelot golden era and as u said its Nordic Mythology

Btw nice discussion for once here in RvR section!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
My idea of "roleplaying" is honourable 1v1 fights,

how is that roleplaying? roleplaying is acting as your character. speaking the appropriate(sp?) dialect, doing all the things they did in your characters era. and duelling sure wasent the only thing they did.

what ur doing isnt roleplaying. ur just duelling, and having "roleplay" as a excuse.

wonder who's hiding behind who's banner ;)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Nordic mythology holds numerous records of "duels" where Vikings would challenge a powerful opponent to a duel for either glory or vengeance.

they were also "berzerking down" stuff though!:p Acording to popular myths^^

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
how is that roleplaying? roleplaying is acting as your character. speaking the appropriate(sp?) dialect, doing all the things they did in your characters era. and duelling sure wasent the only thing they did.

what ur doing isnt roleplaying. ur just duelling, and having "roleplay" as a excuse.

wonder who's hiding behind who's banner ;)

i roll play the gentleman thug, if you are a useless snivling turd that has to add on everything to make some numbers get bigger then i will treat you like it. Idiots who ruin my fights get treated with the courtesy they give me. none.

These people dont help the game in any way, they dont craft, they dont pve for items (supplies) they dont lead raids and whenever they do go on raids they fuck up, get killed afk pull mobs, pull the wrong mobs, fail to be effective in pve. Most of them are pretty pointless people whos only purpose in daoc is to feed on the leavings of decent players.

If they had any respect for anyone in the game they would find they wouldnt get flamed in game.

useless twats the lot of them

hic

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
There were a few occasional duels but that doesnt mean it was their way of battle and surely history proofs that. They were a few odd dudes doing it but it cant be classified as camelot tradition or way of living.

Well, the problem is that Arthurian "mythology" is a somewhat strange mix of an historical figure who rallied Britons against invading Saxons and a literary tradition which includes Mallory, Welsh cycles such as the Mabinogion and contemporary literature, as well as Hollywood movies.

So the tradition is diverse and often conflicting, too conflicting infact to talk of history proving anything.

As far as the celtic thing goes, classical historians such as Diodorus, and even Caesar himself often relate how celtic hero's would call out roman officers for single battle.
There's a nice section in De Bello Gallico were Caesar writes about two of his centurions (who were brothers iirc) and their duels with gaulish champions.
So, baring in mind that the celts left no written records of their own, we have to rely on foreign commentators, who do mention celts liking duels.

The closest thing we get to the celts talking about it themselves are the cycles written down by christian monks of the Irish/Welsh celtic tribes

The Ulster Cycle from Irish literature has lots of duels, CuChullain did nothing but duel infact, The Tain Bo Cuailgne (Cattle raid of Cooley) has Cu Chulainn practically defeat Queen Maeves' army single handed by invoking the right of single combat at the ford.

For months Queen Maeve would send a champion to the river and Cu Chulainn would defeat them and rest that night and rise again the next morning to duel the next man sent to him.

After three months of loosing her best men to Cu Chulainn in duels, she convinces Cu Chulainn's best friend Ferdia to fight him, after three days Cu Chulainn kills Ferdia with his Gae Bulga (a big barbed celtic spear) and is heartbroken that he has killed his best friend (every dusk after dueling they would tend each others wounds or share food)

You see, "roleplaying" means different things to different people, to the unimaginative it usually involves talking like a camp Errol Flynn in /gu
or wearing an antlered hat and running around emain :)

Personally I think that a high RR hero like Raven, seeking out opponents for single combat is roleplaying, his characters motivations better mirror the motivations of numerous celtic heros in mythology, in the same way that censi's vids have a nice roleplay flavour to them, his footage of a tricky little leprechaun (lurikeen is just what they call leprechauns in certain places in Ireland) outwitting "big folk" (gangs of albs) by jumping around and over walls in the villa and disappearing after getting what he wants are like the stories my granda would tell me as a child of leprechauns outwitting gangs of greedy and somewhat stupid humans all after his gold or RP's in this case.

Roleplaying isn't typing crap in /gu or /as and trying to get the words thus, forsooth etc in as many times as possible.

Although the anti-santa did do the funniest "rolplaying" in /as every night :worthy:

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
As i recall it( if anyone havent allready mentioned it:p) Lancelot loved and lived for duels in the Arthurian legends. And so did all the knights of the round table.:) So yeh...ofc dueling existed in those legends of old.
Also about roleplaying. It can be anything tbh except being urself. It doesnt have to mean puting on a whole outfit and speak with a squeeky voice^^
It can be making urself a game persona through a dueller...a general in fullscale warfare...or whatever you wanna see urself as.

I think most of us in game are somewhat of roleplayers, we all wanna dye our eq and be hesroes in our own rights:)
/eb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom