Roleplay Definitions

T

Troryn

[ooc post]

I was wondering if there is a definition for technical terms in daoc, if not heres some suggestions (mostly crafting related)

armor of fine quality = 90-93%
armor of good quality = 94-96%
armor of high quality = 97-99%
armor of excellent quality = 100% (could be perfect , but then again nothing is ;))

also regarding armorfactor I have a suggestion

when speaking of af, talk about millimeters,

e.g.

this armor is 45 millimeters thick (af 45)

(this makes af 100 armor = 1 centimeter thick, which sounds about fair ;))

am I way of in this or??

input-suggestions wanted

P

- Pathfinder -

1 cm thick armour? Christ, I'd like to see the steroid pumped freak wearing that :) Unless, of course, the armour is amde of paper :)

M

MadsGud

The AF is something with the material to do, not how thick the armour is. Ofcourse a mithil armour would be alot better than bronze armour.
And the quality is how the armour is put together, a perfect armour is one without one single flaw, perfect stitches, perfect length and perfect shape.

Glyph Ancient, 50th thane of Savage Conclave
Kedaya ElfMangler, 28th hunter of Savage Conclave

T

Troryn

Originally posted by MadsGud
The AF is something with the material to do, not how thick the armour is. Ofcourse a mithil armour would be alot better than bronze armour.
And the quality is how the armour is put together, a perfect armour is one without one single flaw, perfect stitches, perfect length and perfect shape.

Glyph Ancient, 50th thane of Savage Conclave
Kedaya ElfMangler, 28th hunter of Savage Conclave

and as the topic says ROLEPLAY

in a rp situation you cannot discuss percent or af there we need something to realte to!

I am well aware of AF and all the other stuff.

@ Pathfinder ;)

O

old.Nim

Do the same as you suggest for quality but talk about levels of protection

good protection = 60-70
excellent protection = 90-100

that kind of thing?

Easier for most to understand than thickness...

T

Troryn

agreed nim, but harder if people want a specific number, although thickness shall be fast known in prydwen roleplay comunity if the templars starts to use it ;)

I am btw looking forward to see how many templars that shall visit The Stone after the meeting <smiles>

T

Turamber

Millimetres?! I don't think using a measurement term not even in existence in the Dark Ages is particularly good roleplay. It's just as bad as saying af xx. If you want to keep the roleplay 100 percent (very difficult in the game environment) then probably just easier to show the person the item in question.

Also, standard descriptors like very good=af 80+, excellent=90+, is hardly good roleplay either. Just encourages people to look at tables ... though there are a number of face-to-face systems that still use a multitude of tables the current movement to getting away from that and back to basics is much preferred.

T

Troryn

I agree Turamber that milimetres is a bad choice, it is however easiere (and more realistic) than suing feet and inches as even a 4,5 inch thick armor would be enough to hold Hendrick to the ground (and that man can carry a lot I tell you)

maybe someone else has some ideas, but I think we need some sort of measurement that allows the direct number to be said, however it is done,

D

Damon_D

Just wisper it , no one will ever know you went out of character MUUHHHHAAAAAAAA

P

Pixie.Pebr

Telling someone the AF of a piece of armour is easily done.

In the Templars we refer to Levels as Seasons.

For plate/chain wearers, the perfect AF for you is your Level*2.

Hence if some ask you about an AF88 Plate Helmet, you reply:
"It is suitable for someone in their 44th Season" (44*2=88).

For Cloth armour the AF = the level, which make it even easier.

As for Studded/Leather, I am not 100% certain, but I think it is Level*2 there as well, correct?

If someone want the exact stats on the piece, just show it to them, or do it in /send, there is no way to stay 100% IC all the time when talking about, for instance, armour.

O

old.Belorfyn

I like the idea about quality, but AF is bit more tricky. I would't mind just using the number. I don't think it's OOC since character can know factor of his armor just like he knows the size of his shoe.
I like the way camelot.stratics.com puts it in their RP guide.

The armor is an item that exists in the kingdom of which the character plays, therefore it should be allowed to mention it. The AF of that armor could be a quality assessment of the armor. You can easily imagine a group of knights sitting around a fire chatting about armor and asking one another to rate their armor on a scale. Hence the concept of armor factor might develop in the same way that ratings of automobiles in consumer reports on a scale of one to five was brought about.

You don't maybe need to try figure out if it can be millimeters or what since it could just be "factor of the armor" or "armor factor".

[EDIT]Hehe.. didn't notice it was albion forum, hope you don't mind me visiting here :)[/EDIT]

O

old.Aethelstan

Interesting post Troryn. Stats are one of the conundrums of trying to roleplay in this sort of game. I see the Stratics point, but I don't agree with it. Personally I find stats damage RP, whether it be AF, dps or damage done (my personal pet hate is when, after a battle, someone says "Hey, I hit for XXX then ! That's my best ever !" - WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME ? I DON'T CARE !).

However, finding useful and useable alternatives is not easy. I can see where you're coming from, but there's only 10mm in a centimetre, so AF98 plate would be nearly 10cm thick - that's more armour than your average main battletank, and might be a tad heavy even for our highlanders!. Graham's suggestion about "suitable for X seasons" is probably more useable, although again it's not heard very often even within the Templars. As Turamber said, probably the simplest way of dealing with things is to just show the item to the interested person. Then you don't have to explain. Other than that, our Guild rules are that stats should never be broadcast on the guild channel, and if you really want to discuss an item, do it in /sends.

On the issue of Ye Stone after the meeting, it's probably not the best time to see us there. We almost always go straight off to do something after the meeting on Sunday (this week we were going to go reinforce the relic raid, but it collapsed as we were grouping up, so we went and killed the Barfog mobs instead). However, we have now unofficially adopted Ye Stone as our Guild tavern, so I'm sure you'll be seeing a fair few customers in future, and not just a certain mercenary, eh ?

T

Troryn

2 things Lord Ironhand

it is The Stone, and Ye Mug ;p

and secondly,

please reread my post, with the system suggested af98 would be 9,8 millimiters thick not 98 millimetres, which means almost an centimetre, I know these measurements where not invted in the dark age, but they are very easy to relate to (maybe except for the british people, but the all play in US anyway ;p) oh and I have seen Sir Graham, I have no boudts he could carry a 10 centimetres thick armor <giggles>

since there is no objection to the quality suggestion I will hereby count on that if I say to another crafter that I need high quality leather armor he knows what to make <smile>
(someone see to hendrick reads this post ;))

O

old.linnet

<insoucient>

All of my crafted armour is high quality. I don't know what you could be suggesting!

Lin

C

corranhorn1

A certain mercenary!!!

ah lord aethelstan "softy" ironhand, you must be talking of hendrick there again <grins>, thou not know why one would spend time with him <looks round and doesnt see myste so feels safe>....

anyway this is of thread really, my bad.... so lets get on track....

yes 100af = 1cm seems fair to me. when you of season to use such an item then that is not much really now is it..... but whatever we adopt if anything you will find it hard to get all to understand it as we always do... hell people still think that when a refer to season i mean is it summer or winter... those fools <laughs> sorry that unfair but then i am a mercenary... mayhap "that mercenary" whatever i certainly the best one... oh of thread again. farewell till a new day.

Users who are viewing this thread