Roger Wilco V Gamevoice

O

old.Hawklans

Does anyone know which is better? RW or GV? or is it a matter of preference?

Before i spend any time comparing the two just wondered if anyone had done any work on this already

I have found GV is ok, but with more than say 3 or 4 people it becomes either distorted or you get bad echo.... have tried to optimise it as much as possible, and sometimes we can get 5 people in, but it also means running the server on one of our pc's... does anyone run GV servers?

Thanks

S

syk.chak

Aftre using both, I prefer GV as long as everyone has broadband. GV can be a real bugger on 56k.

N

nocte

well having played FPS' for over 2 years.. i have found RW to be by far the best comms proggy...

GVS is not bad... bu on win xp everytime i close GVS down i blue screen...

also RW is very clear and goes easy on your bandwidth.

so all in all i would go for RW.

A

Anduin

Personally i think team sound is the best
Its nice simple works behind firewalls (hosting that is) doesnt use to much bandwith and is very good quality the only problem is that it crashes on xp all the time so if ur a clan with no1 on xp then personally id recoment team sound

O

old.psyder

> does anyone run GV servers?

I searched high and low for GV and Roger Wilco hosts with no joy :(

I have found a potential Roger Wilco Hosting Company but I'm still waiting to hear back from em.

Will keep you guys posted :)

Cheers

psyder

O

old.Hawklans

I havent heard of any servers for gv or rw....

I do run a server for our clan, on my pc using gamevoice server software which is free to download, its ok, and most of the time it doesnt affect my game... but its not perfect so i would like to have it hosted....

another idea is to get one of the clan who are not playing to use thier pc as a gv server that way its only being used for that (if they are willing anyway). the one time we tested it, it was ok but the server went down.... so not sure about that

O

old.[BA]nXPLOSiVE

I really need to get meself team sound then.

G

greendemon

IMO RW is the best of a bad bunch.
You won't find anything that works well for everyone, all you can do is try and accomodate the majority of your clan.

Over the last year or so, we've tried loads. The features of GV are superior, but it has loads of problems - cuts out a lot, too quiet etc.

RW however, can be made to work for the majority of my clan. I suspect it will go downhill, as it is now owned by Gamespy - a company renowned for bad support, getting peeps to register, and giving them nothing back for their $20.

If u go for RW m8, whatever u do, don't pay for it!

O

old.wolfcoda

I prefer TeamSpeak

Our clan has used this since the start and we have had absolutely no problems at all. One of the clan hosts the server on a P2 500 comp and up till now it's done all that is asked of it. When we started with it the host was only a P100 and thre were a couple of sound probs but nothing major.
www.teamspeak.net

O

old.Turath

i used ROger Wilco but the soundquality sucked :/

F

feld-hure

On the subject, I'm having numerous nightmares in trting to trial RW. I have 2 comps connected by an Alcatel Speedtouch 4 port router... and an Alcetel manual which seems to be writtedn in some bizarre alien language.

Does anyone have a similar setup who can pass on a few clues on how to forward ports for a base station setup ? (or have any relevant links).

Thanks.

A

Anduin

just to let you know there is a few ports RW doesnt mention when your setting it up that you have to open up i think about4/5 in total (1 of the reasons i stopped using it) and even then its tempremental it really doesnt like being hosted behind a router/firewall so you need to find someone who hasnt got these things really in order to host it

O

old.[SoF]eVo

RW is pretty good but sometimes causes reashes with GF4 cards

P

{PxRx}Yojimbo

rw for us. can't say we've had any major problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom