Returning to DAOC

Cielundil

Fledgling Freddie
Greetings all,
As you can probably see this is my first post on these boards. As of this weekend I will be return home from Uni and will be starting DAOC again after a 10month gap. But this time on the European servers.
I know nothing about these servers so was going on the fact that I would solo alot of the time so was looking at classes like Necromancer/Animist/Bonedancer to get a character started again and get back into the swing of things. As all three classes do quite well. Then when I get a 50 I can use /20 (I hope you guys have that command) to make a slightly harder character. Also the above classes will help me obtain money which is always needed when starting out.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated such as any other viable solo classes, which server/realm to start on etc etc.

Many thanks.

Cielundil.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Cielundil said:
But this time on the European servers.

Just one simple question...

WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY AND GOOD WHY???

Cielundil

Fledgling Freddie
WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY AND GOOD WHY???[/QUOTE]

When I use to play on the American servers (Nimue) there were never many people about. The server use to get busy between 2am-7am and I don't much fancy doing that again this year with final year approaching in September. I would ideally like to log in and not have to solo and for there to be people on at the same time as myself. So I thought the European servers would give me that.

Cielundil

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Welcome to the Euro servers.

For the most part, despite what you may see on these boards at times, we've got pretty friendly servers and lots of nice peeps wherever you end up.

Necro will indeed farm its way to 50 solo very fast as will sup bonedancer. Only played group chars in Hib so not the best person to say what to do there. Matter cabbies are also good solo chars. For Mid, Dark or Summ SMs are good solo once you get MCL from BG0 or BG1. Be warned, focus damage shield has had a big nerf in all realms since you last played if you've been away that long.

If you show up on Alb/Pryd say hello if you need some help. I'm usually on as Elim these days. I've got a couple of necro items for a toon I simply haven't ever done anything with. Cabby is way too much fun :D

Good luck wherever you end up.

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
necro's work pretty well - many peeps say it costs too much 'cos of items and armour degrading really fast but I've never really noticed it... not 50 yet tho ;)

albion SI is the best place for necros imo with lyonesse coming a close 2nd. Barrows is supposed to be good too but it's always waaay too camped for me and pet pathing tends to suck in dungeons.

hibernia animists are popular atm tho solo you might be better off going enchanter moon spec. Focus pulling has been nerfed for big epic mobs but it should still work fine for org con mobs (what you should be killing if you're solo - red is pointless as you get the same xp for more work). Animists are great for pl tho but make sure you get it all done b4 fop gets nerfed in pve ;)

as for mid - bonedancers are great yeah but everyone has one.. if you want to play a caster at 50 then you could start straight away with a runemaster or sm. I soloed my rm from 1 to 40 in about 3 days /played (all in df and made a ton of cash too). Then went to malmo and got 50 in another 2 days.
Casters tend to be more wanted in grps now too so quite fun to play in rvr :)

Well those are my thoughts on the subject. Server wise we've got 2 normal ones (Excalibur and Prydwen) and there's a pvp server in english (Camlann). Excal is getting pretty full up while Pryd still has some room. One thing you might want to note is that the eu servers (and especially the english ones) tend to be far more competitive than on the US servers - go see the rvr sections to see what I'm talking about ;)

hope that all helped

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
My guild, Purple Warriors on Excal/Mid, always welcomes new (or returning) peeps :D.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
A more detailed breakdown...

Animist - Without an pom/crack bot you spam pets about kill a few thing very quickly then sit about waiting for mana. Good if you watch alot of TV I guess in the long downtime. Quite fun to run around like a lunatic however while your pets kill things :)

Sup BD - Two ways to play the class really:

1) Hammer the mob with every spell you got then sit a little and do it again. Lifetap will kill all oranges and some reds with good gear etc. Alot of action but a fair bit of downtime even with mcl etc.

2) Pull with debuff and let pets take aggro. Wait til pets have aggro sit down after you put a dot on the mob. Slower in combat terms but xp wise both methods the same in my experience.

Play whichever style suits you more.

Necro: Well there's one simple strategy: Nuke, nuke, nuke. Damned easy to level but requires more general concerntration since the character is more or less always active.

Personally if you asked me what I'd level fast? Well I'd make a cleric on Alb/Exc. Smite to 20 with k/t and respec and then join a good guild to make some friends. The server has a good population and good healers with good reputations will level damn fast due a lack of active clerics there.

If you want to play PvP then play a support class (they can get away with pants armour and bad weapons) heal and buff everyone will love you.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you have fun :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Deepfat said:
If you want to play PvP then play a support class (they can get away with pants armour and bad weapons) heal and buff everyone will love you.

They can? :eek6:

Imo the gear of the support is more important than the gear of the dmg dealers. Who is it that will take most dmg and get most enemy attention?

Totyn

One of Freddy's beloved
Fana said:

Imo the gear of the support is more important than the gear of the dmg dealers. Who is it that will take most dmg and get most enemy attention?

The paladin?

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Totyn said:
The paladin?
Yup, defo the paladin.

Sigh... a useful ToA item for paladins is some shape change. Then MABYE someone can get fooled to hit you abit :\

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:

On Camlann you can spot the noobs with free armour (no dyes etc) from exc/pryd with no money and in all likleyhood playing a realm they've never tried before. Harder to get a group if you obviously have poo equipment etc. but for a support type you can get away with it pretty much since there aren't alot of players on camlann who don't want pages of death spam.

That's what I meant it to say. At least I think I did. I think I may have been drunk. Well, if I can't remember if I was drunk or not good bet I prolly was :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom