Respect to oldshool Rogue players :)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
Man it mustve been tough. I started playing Daoc a few days after release but to be honest i dont remember much , to much drug abuse over the years has wittled my brain down, but i came to notice something while playing the other day. I made myself an infiltrator , now i have quite a bit of cash lying around so i twinked him up to high heaven , toa caps full sc all skills + capped and 99% weapons and decided to start lvling up a bit. I couldnt believe how soddin much downtime there is, i can take out yellow easy and oj, though some oj give me dificulty, but remember im fully twinked and still have probs with some of them.

Which made me think , if i get some mob getting me down to 60% in one fight for a still really piss poor return in xp, and have to sit down for 2 mins to get hp back every fight.. just imagine what the people who made rogue classes like scouts and infils had to go through back in the beginning of daoc with no money, no good items and 85% quality shit. I know there were a lot more grps back than , but wow, you guys mustve had balls of steel to keep playing your class through up to 50 back then, and for that i take my hat off to u.

Guess its the same for quite a few classes tbh , even with the super twinkage of todays daoc , some classes are still shite in PvE, and unfourtunatly im one of the impatient ones wholl prolly resort to pl in the end. So /bow to any of u who still have your chars from day 1. Bravo

:clap:

cuddled0rf

Fledgling Freddie
Oh yes it was great spending 25 days or something to get the first char to 50 on 56k modem. I even had it fairly easy playing a champ, altho i started 2 weeks after everyone else so it was impossible to find groups ;) Not exactly missing that stage of the game...

kirennia

Part of the furniture
cuddled0rf said:
Oh yes it was great spending 25 days or something to get the first char to 50 on 56k modem. I even had it fairly easy playing a champ, altho i started 2 weeks after everyone else so it was impossible to find groups ;) Not exactly missing that stage of the game...

25? thats nothing ;) My cleric took 37 days /played :D

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
someone had to cut all that wood afterall!

(on a sidenote, in mid most slash vulnerable caster mobs were trees.)

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, remember slaying trees for many lvls(read, 4-5) with my SB :) think his played was around 21d at 50 :) but then I retired him at 40 >_< and started playin him again after sham got end reg ;) (Sb was made after 1 week of retail)

/Dracus

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Trees were great, yes. In the beginning the only arrows the hunters had were slash-type.

Arrrrrrr!

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
Yep.........fellwoods/gnarlwoods in Sauvage were great for xp.
Although being thrust spec on my scout I got to run away a lot and had to kite nearly every tree...........such good days before BB's and spellcrafted gear. :(

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
trees south of galplen
trees at the Gna/Galplen Lake
trees at askheim
trees at the stone circle
trees at the SW Lake in Skona (gogo being neutral to the Seithkona there!)
trees in Hadrian's
trees in Breifine (though, too many luris there for good exp)
trees in Raumarik

...guess if your class was determined by what you're doing I wouldn't be a rogue, but a lumberjack :D

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
25 days?! took my scout a good 6 months to get to 50 at the beginning of retail!

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
:eek6: 25 days would have been really fast to 50.

Took me 45+ days (inc 800+ fletching and 100k+ rp) to 50 and still got to be 2nd or 3rd scout to 50 on Prydwen........... played way too much at the start of the game. :(

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
46 days /played on the scout ....mostly solo ..and far too much time kissin dirt :rolleyes: . I was uba happi when I hit 50 finally :) :clap:

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
heh remember my very 1st charactor, Norsebabe 2hd critblade going by the name of Soulsdoorway, I had so crap armor, that if I missed pa-cd on a yellow con I would die, it was like that all the way to lvl40 ish, but from then on was malmo, was ok I guess, but after few people yelling at me to go I went. :p

Think I was around 31 days played when I got to 50, around 9-10 months rl time playing, but then you roll an alt and it went like 80% quicker to level, strange. :p

My scout not that old but on around 84 days played not just to 50, but totaly playing rvr too and stuff. :(

Cybwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Think I took about 50-60 /played days to get to L50 but I did include tailoring to about 1000 in that, coupled with the fact that I suck so I spent a lot of time getting a worm's eye view of the world. :)

Was back in the day when archers used to fumble like 50% of shots and miss most of the ones they did manage to get away. Add in the facts that I wasted training points on stealth while levelling so I couldn't melée my way out of a paper bag and that I couldn't afford decent armour, weapons or arrows and I'd be forced to agree that yes, it was tough (but worth it). :)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
o_O 25 days ?
bloody hell it takes me about 5 months to get 50 even these days the xp is so shite :p

Dukat

Resident Freddy
My scout was my first character and he took over 1 year IRL time to level to 50. Admittedly in that time I had other chars, got my paladin to 50, but I was usually playing my scout just as much as my paladin, perhaps even more so.

I remember starting my scout, all my friends told me that "scouts days of being uber are over" - either in those exact words or re-iterated, kinda funny to see us being FotM after that :)

I started the christmas before SI came out(I think), I didnt really have a clue for a long while, as I had to learn most of my lessons on my own, I didnt know about any of the forums or guides for scouts, the going was real slow for a long while.

But I had fun - I was mad on exploring, went on tours all through albion; campacorentin forest, barfog (even though the mobs where all purple to a lvl 10) I joined in a keep take at lvl10 too. all the while killing anything that conned either green or blue, as I never did feel comfortable killing a yellow untill around lvl 25 :D

I walked everywhere as I couldnt afford horses, always remember 'discovering' cornwall for the first time, seeing the cliffs and all the mobs that I'd never seen before. It was that kind of thing that kept me going,

It gets easier, I've now made a new scout and tried leveling him up in the xp spots that I never knew about, or wheren't available when my main was a low level, and its alot easier once you know how everything works.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
I got 50 on my cabby in 18day play. which i was proud of, took me forever irl, didnt play that much but got a good gobo's group at low 30's and shot past all my irl m8's.

Gobo were so much fun. Best spot in alb imo.

Oh and just got my friar lv 50, with a /play of 1day 23 hours. im much more proud of that! Catacombs rock! Task dungeons ftw

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Airalith said:
I got 50 on my cabby in 18day play. which i was proud of, took me forever irl, didnt play that much but got a good gobo's group at low 30's and shot past all my irl m8's.

Gobo were so much fun. Best spot in alb imo.
Yep, it WAS fun. Untill they changed agro code shit and ****ed it up. :(

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
gobo's are still easy. tripple the xp on em and make em fun again imo ;)

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
still doesnt make sense though that even blues can sometimes do 30% of my hp bar even when im utterly capped to buggery. And yes i do know how to play the game lol , ive had a good few 50s, i just dont understand why infils r THAT bad vs mobs ... maybe its cos im lvl 23 i dunno . I dont intend on doing the bg's till 40 so i have no stealth im 23dual 21venom 18thrust atm all +5 , poisens help a grt deal ofc, get me rp from keeptakes. But my point was, despite all this i get tons of downtime on mobs and considering how powerful hes supposed to be, i cant imagine how painful it was in the old days of daoc for infils or scouts without all this twinking, thats what the post was about lol, saying grats to them people that stuck with it, kinda gone off subject with the days played to 50 thing. Though for the record i got my necro to 50 in 5 days r/l time <i dont sleep much> Cant remember how long my last friar took but it wasnt too long, Friars kick ass solo lvlin :)

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
took 36 days /played to get to 50 from day 1 of game (before the days of BB's)...

and that includes avoiding Malmo - hated that place...

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Ahh Progress xD

/20 to lev 46.5 in 11 hours play on my BB

Probably TheBestBBintheWorld

And 2 hours or so of that was spent when she was lev 20 advertising a Flowing Anatalya Shawl on her that i was trying to sell in DL

Bring back the old days imo , my 1st char my rr5 chanter took me a good 30days playtime <back when there was groups about exping after si expansion>and thats an ezmode class.

/Respect to all u lunatics who exped all the way top 50 solo with assasin classes

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
reminds me about the days that I duo'ed with a RL friend who played an armsman too, we were hunting yellows together :p. Also at the beginning I thought the xp would be better if we were ungrouped but hitting both the same mob so we xp'ed that way for some time. Of course didnt knew what intercept/guard/protect was for either :)

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
26 days on my (deleted) Critblade, soloing most of the time on greens/blues/yellows.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
32 days on my infi way back when retial started.. gimped ofc cause i knew feck all about the game (maxed stealth and no poison cause they cost to much :twak: )

waiting for a tree group and soloing gobbos till 1 came along..... wich hardly ever happened unless it was a guildies group. Solo 43-50 all on gobbos nearly....ah the "good" old days :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom