Resistance Debuff?

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
Two of the warlock curses have resistance debuffs, i think they cover all 5 resistances, or 4 (fire and ice debuff, and then a shadow and arcane debuff iirc).

So i was wondering, like in daoc, and d2, can you debuff _below_ 0 resists? effectively increasing the damage you do base on 0 resist targets, or does it simply knock off 60 (or whatever the value was) or however much they have, from the target?

Whichever though, i could imagine warlock + mage / shadow priest combo must work surprisingly well, the warlock can debuff for the mage / priest, and use destruction spells if debuffing for the mage, or use shadow bolt if debuffing for the priest etc.

Just some thoughts.

Galelawyn

Fledgling Freddie
Resists do not decrease the damage you get, but decrease the chance that you resist spells I thought, or atleast they don't increase the damage as much as in DaoC

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Ye, resistances doesnt increase the damage you do, but decrease chance to resist, and gives higher chance to hit for damage cap on that type of spell. (spelldamage in WoW is listed as "does minDmg - maxDmg spelltype damage")

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Thank god for misconceptions!

When you are hit by a direct-damage spell, you have a chance to resist 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or 0% of the spell's damage, depending on your resistance score in relation to the level of the attacking caster. Your average percentage of damage resisted is the weighted average of your resistance percentages for each level of damage resistance (100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, and 0%). Using, as an example, a fire resistance score of 250 vs. a level-50 mage's fire spell, you would on average resist roughly 75% of the damage of that spell. To further the example, if you had fire resistance of 100, you would, on average, resist roughly 30% of the spell's damage.

Now, please tell me how lowering your targets resistance doesn't increase damage. You said it yourself that it increases chance to hit for damage cap, that's a bloody increase in damage.

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Tenuous link, but theres a mob that pettable by hunters which has 100 pts in all resists, seems to be the fotm PvP hunter pet. I hope that WoW wont turn into everyone runnin around looking the same a la Trials of Adlantis, variety is the spice of life.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Well, its not supposed to increase the given damage... but oh well :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
LordjOX said:
Well, its not supposed to increase the given damage... but oh well :)
Soz for aggro tone in my post, was tired after coding guild's forum all night :(

Galelawyn

Fledgling Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
Tenuous link, but theres a mob that pettable by hunters which has 100 pts in all resists, seems to be the fotm PvP hunter pet. I hope that WoW wont turn into everyone runnin around looking the same a la Trials of Adlantis, variety is the spice of life.

The thing is that wow max resists are 200 I think ;)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Whisperess said:
Soz for aggro tone in my post, was tired after coding guild's forum all night :(
I was planning to cry myself to sleep :(

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
Ok after that explaination by Whisperess im still pretty confused, maybe you can go over it again if you can be bothered :p

However, still im interested to know if resists can go negative.

And would a 60 resist debuff actually be worth the effort? or would another curse be better (you can only apply one curse at a time, and the debuffs are curses).

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, i think what hes trying to say is debuff do and will increase your damage, they wont increase your cap though.

Put it this way, Say i debuff fire someone. Now they have low resistance to fire. So now when i nuke him with a fire damage nuke. This fellow wont resist my fire spell as much. And i "think" it will allow me to hit my max nuke damage. The DD spells have a min and a max damage, so if their fire resists did go into the -0 area, the nuke would still only nuke for its Max damage. Nothing more. Unless you got + damage items.

This is what i've come to understand by reading this thread anyway, i hav'nt looked into it.

Or if this is like daoc. And when you have say 30% resistance, you resist 30% of the damage taken. Or the DD's spell Min and Max damage are only in effect when the target has 0 resists?.

All too complicated when there isn't a % >_<

*Edit* In other words, if a warlock was to debuf their own DD. Could they be just as effective as a spirit cabby on daoc?

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Simply said: It don't affect the damage you do on 1 spell. Over time, with lower enemy resists you will hit more than miss so will do more damage over time. Right? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom