Advice Renting a House Out

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Spoke to a mate and the gas and electric checks are legal requirements and yearly for the gas, electric I don't know.

I also have to get permission from the mortgage lenders to rent the house, then there's the insurance to sort.......

That is usually a formality, they only care about it being paid. If the mortgage is an old one you might want to check the market for a "buy to let" mortgage. Our one came with free property damage insurance should you ever get a bad tenant and the rates were pretty damned good as well.

Regards the main topic, all I can advise is that it will get better. Try to pick one thing at a time and concentrate on it until completed. You will cope with it, just stay strong. Thoughts are with you mate.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
That's not strictly true, the government introduced legislation that would allow councils to use licensing where it could fix issues with bad landlords. The councils turned it into a stealth tax, croydon just pushed it through and enfield failed due to a legal challenge. The government have raised concerns I've the way councils have used the legislation and are changing it from 1st April to require central gov review should local councils wish to use it.

That is plain ridiculous and our rental agency has not mentioned any of this to us. It's a home not a commercial business property ffs. They will want indemnity insurance next. I might even understand this if you were renting to the council, which I would never, ever, even consider.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hey @Hawkwind, what council borough I'd your property in? It's only newham and croydon that have this so far.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I just click the like or agree buttons if I am on my phone so apologies for that for not replying in any length.

Cheers for the help and support lads, I actually didn't expect any less. Feel free to rip the piss as well though :D

First job was done yesterday, got a new sink fitted in the kitchen, asked my mate to do it (I was going to do it but head is not in the place it should be) but insisted he charged me the going rate (he's a plumber), he agreed that he would. He came round, it was a bit of a ball ache because a new hole had to be cut for the sink and the taps I had bought were shit and after he fitted them they leaked. So he went away, got some new taps, removed the shit taps and fitted the others then brought the crap ones to my house so I could return them. After all that he then said he wouldn't have any money off me, he even started to go red in the face when I was insisting he had money. I have some (very few) fucking amazing people in my life.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It is looking like my mum won't be coming home, she will be going into a care home which as we all know has to be paid for by my mum. Our council offers a deferred payment option which means you don't have to pay the bill until 56 days after death. This will allow us to rent mums house out and put the money into a bank account ready to pay off the debt of her car (it will be around £250 a week because she qualified for the lower amount).

She has a detached 3 bedroom house that is in need of decorating and new carpets throughout, this I know. but what other things are needed to be done legally (I have googled it and read but wanted some normal advice), she has an old style fuse box, will I need to put a new consumer unit in there (I can do that but will have to pay someone to test it)? Do you have to have all the electrics PAT tested? Again, I have that certificate as well but I would be amazed if you have to PAT test stuff for renting. I just don't know what is required my end and I will be honest I am fucking freaking out a bit.

Coming from the hospital and being asked if you want to resuscitate your mum if she needs it and saying "no" is not the best way to start a Monday.

:(

:fluffle:

russell

FH is my second home
Awww Trem. That's shit. Freddie's are great, but I agree that you and Samm should prob get some proper advice. Lots of love xxx

Trem

Awww Trem. That's shit. Freddie's are great, but I agree that you and Samm should prob get some proper advice. Lots of love xxx
Thanks lovely!

It will be better at Easter when Samm is off work, she will do the talking to people stuff and I can get on with the fixing the house stuff. Should be plenty of Trem-o-disasters to come guys.

Trem

Im replying to this as a bit of therapy if nothing else because I do love you lot, even if I seem as though I don't sometimes.

So, I have two weeks or so to find mum somewhere to stay forever, a care home. She doesn't know who I am anymore but when I sit with her she keeps asking if I've seen John (that's me) and no matter how much I say "I'm John mum, I'm here" she doesn't realise. Then she gets up and walks around saying she's off to look for John (she is currently in a dementia ward within the NHS). That is fucking hard.

Today and tomorrow I have got to go down to mums house and clear all the stuff out, all her stuff and all my stuff from when I was a kid that I left there. I've got to go and take down all the photos she has up and I have got to throw a lot of her stuff away because I have someone who wants to move in on Saturday.

My mates Brother-in-Law is renting the house, he's a good guy and I have known him for quite a while from playing poker with him and I really like him. He says he will do the decorating and has offered to pay towards any carpets that need replacing. He will also provide his own cooker. This way I can be more relaxed about the whole thing and I haven't had to run around getting all the official stuff, yes I have a tenancy agreement that we have paid for and downloaded and I will be getting an electric safety cert but at a more relaxed pace.

What this means is I'm truly fucked now, I have nothing left to do other than find mum somewhere then I'm done, then I need to get a job, then I need to be in a job worrying about my mum every day and I am still being bombarded with so many things I have to do and remember (I have the *worst* memory) and.........I need to step back soon I know this.

Then there's my mums scum family, absolute disgusting pieces of shit. Her sister who has barely visited her in years has started making appearances at the hospital and interfering and my mums great wealthy brother, likewise, never visited now has got involved and I'm meant to worry about their fucking feelings?

Therapy, right?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Im replying to this as a bit of therapy if nothing else because I do love you lot, even if I seem as though I don't sometimes.

So, I have two weeks or so to find mum somewhere to stay forever, a care home. She doesn't know who I am anymore but when I sit with her she keeps asking if I've seen John (that's me) and no matter how much I say "I'm John mum, I'm here" she doesn't realise. Then she gets up and walks around saying she's off to look for John (she is currently in a dementia ward within the NHS). That is fucking hard.

Today and tomorrow I have got to go down to mums house and clear all the stuff out, all her stuff and all my stuff from when I was a kid that I left there. I've got to go and take down all the photos she has up and I have got to throw a lot of her stuff away because I have someone who wants to move in on Saturday.

My mates Brother-in-Law is renting the house, he's a good guy and I have known him for quite a while from playing poker with him and I really like him. He says he will do the decorating and has offered to pay towards any carpets that need replacing. He will also provide his own cooker. This way I can be more relaxed about the whole thing and I haven't had to run around getting all the official stuff, yes I have a tenancy agreement that we have paid for and downloaded and I will be getting an electric safety cert but at a more relaxed pace.

What this means is I'm truly fucked now, I have nothing left to do other than find mum somewhere then I'm done, then I need to get a job, then I need to be in a job worrying about my mum every day and I am still being bombarded with so many things I have to do and remember (I have the *worst* memory) and.........I need to step back soon I know this.

Then there's my mums scum family, absolute disgusting pieces of shit. Her sister who has barely visited her in years has started making appearances at the hospital and interfering and my mums great wealthy brother, likewise, never visited now has got involved and I'm meant to worry about their fucking feelings?

Therapy, right?

:fluffle:

Its fucking horrible, especially because you can see the person you knew but they're not in there anymore. Happened to my granny when I was 14-15. It's interesting what you're saying about the scumbag family members as well, we had exactly the same, and it was made worse because my Gran was in Manchester and we were over in Grimsby. Tried to bring her to a care home near us and it actually made her dementia worse. I really feel for you mate.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
When I was a young'un my parents were in a position to move my gran into a bungalow we had on the property as an alternative to putting her in care. She was old as shit (she died at 98) but was still all there upstairs. Anyway, as her condition deteriorated towards the end, my dad's brothers all started appearing, it made me fucking spit. It was us that basically cared for her for the last 10 or so years of her life without so much as a phone call from them and they come sniffing around when it looks like she's about to pop her clogs. Family are the worst. Tell them to fucking do one, @Trem. :(

Trem

Thanks lads, it's what I need.

I can't tell them to do one Cally, I don't speak to them and haven't for decades, if I were to speak to them it would be violent to say the least. Got all of mums photos that I will go through tonight, that will cheer me up/crack me up.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You have to try and put some things you arnt able to influence out to pasture. Once your mums in the home you can't be worrying about her every minute. It will drive you mad. You have to let her be looked after once you find a place for her and trust them. You can only influence what or how she is looked after while your there.

It's hard we went through the same thing with my gran and had to put her in a home. Once she was settled in and got used to it she was fine. I am sure your mum will be too.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Don't really know what to say @Trem. Went through it with my nan, she recognised me but that was because I was that nice young man who came to visit her. She would regress to a school child and tell me about her day, but as a 12 yr old, it was weird/funny/sad all at the same time, but,she,was in a nice home and they looked after her very well which was some comfort

My dad who will be 84 in a few weeks is starting to lose his short term memory and Its starting make me worry.

My brother lives with him but he is partially disabled and I don't know if he is up to looking after him when things start to get worse.

I think once your mum gets settled in a home and gets into a routine she will be better off, and it will take the pressure off of you too. As for family, my dad has brother who he hasn't seen or spoken to in over 20yrs, I wouldn't even know how to get hold of him. They don't talk since their mum (my other nan) left everything to my uncle in her will and he buggered off with the lot. Brotherly love eh!

Talking of mums though, I lost mine 23yrs ago today, seems like a lifetime

Life stinks sometimes doesn't it

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@Trem love you pal, just stay strong....:fluffle:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Don't really know what to say @Trem. Went through it with my nan, she recognised me but that was because I was that nice young man who came to visit her. She would regress to a school child and tell me about her day, but as a 12 yr old, it was weird/funny/sad all at the same time, but,she,was in a nice home and they looked after her very well which was some comfort

My dad who will be 84 in a few weeks is starting to lose his short term memory and Its starting make me worry.

My brother lives with him but he is partially disabled and I don't know if he is up to looking after him when things start to get worse.

I think once your mum gets settled in a home and gets into a routine she will be better off, and it will take the pressure off of you too. As for family, my dad has brother who he hasn't seen or spoken to in over 20yrs, I wouldn't even know how to get hold of him. They don't talk since their mum (my other nan) left everything to my uncle in her will and he buggered off with the lot. Brotherly love eh!

Talking of mums though, I lost mine 23yrs ago today, seems like a lifetime

Life stinks sometimes doesn't it
Dude my dad died a long time ago too. My mum I love to bits and she is about twenty years younger than your dad. I guess at the same point I. Their lives I will have to deal with the same thing. I'm scared of surpassing my dads age when he died in ten years. It's just not right

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@Scouse is this similar to what you used to be able to do. Ie my mum and her sister hd the house signed over to them and after their mum survived seven years no one had any claim against it.

I thought that loop hole got closed.

What's the trust thing?
Don't think that's a loophole, it's a gift & iirc 7 years is the statute of limitation? That said things change so always do your homework folks.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Grr, lost the first half of my post somehow. Much love @Trem and the hell with the others in the family, she's your Mum, you'll do the right thing.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Don't think that's a loophole, it's a gift & iirc 7 years is the statute of limitation? That said things change so always do your homework folks.
Yeah it stopped being that a while ago I think

Trem

Thank you loves, I do read every reply but I hate replying on my phone (like I'm doing now).

We are going to demand that mum has a CHC funding assessment because after looking at the checklist she is severe in a few of the categories. It's all very complicated but it's something we have to try after I've realised that care homes charge a top up fee on top of everything else, this has to be paid weekly and cannot be deferred, I quit work, I can't pay it. It's such a fucking scam.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah it stopped being that a while ago I think
Just had a google, it's half and half, basically you can still do it but either the person making the gift has to move out to avoid inheritance tax or you have to put it in joint names and then only half the value forms part of the estate on the persons passing.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/passing-on-home
Thank you loves, I do read every reply but I hate replying on my phone (like I'm doing now).

We are going to demand that mum has a CHC funding assessment because after looking at the checklist she is severe in a few of the categories. It's all very complicated but it's something we have to try after I've realised that care homes charge a top up fee on top of everything else, this has to be paid weekly and cannot be deferred, I quit work, I can't pay it. It's such a fucking scam.
I'm out of touch on this but I believe some conditions are funded by the NHS as well Tremlar if they rank severely enough. This came up when my Nan went into a home but I don't remember the details of how you get an NHS review carried out. It was all something to do with them saying her cognitive abilities were not being impacted as badly by her condition as they were, which was total horseshit.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just had a google, it's half and half, basically you can still do it but either the person making the gift has to move out to avoid inheritance tax or you have to put it in joint names and then only half the value forms part of the estate on the persons passing.

https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/passing-on-home

I'm out of touch on this but I believe some conditions are funded by the NHS as well Tremlar if they rank severely enough. This came up when my Nan went into a home but I don't remember the details of how you get an NHS review carried out. It was all something to do with them saying her cognitive abilities were not being impacted as badly by her condition as they were, which was total horseshit.
Yeah when my gran got worse we had the nhs review and then could stop paying the fees cause they covered all the care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom