Renkei for dummies

J

Jaxal

Seems like most players have'nt got a clue how to pull of a renkei (skillchain) with their group and they dont understand the FAQ's on other sites because they are too complicated.
Renkei is great tho, it does uber damage and monsters go down fast and it's alot of fun to pull it off.

So i thought i'd explain it here, very short, in easy terms :p

(Note that the skillchains only start getting interesting from lvl 10 and up, because before that players lack the weapon skill)

So, whats a renkei? Basicly it's players coordinating their weaponskill attacks (the ones u use TP for).
First thing u have to do is print out this page => http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blkhrtll/renkei.jpg

When ur in a group, u ask every melee character what weaponskills they have.
Then u can go search the renkei table and find a suetable chain.

So lets suppose u have a monk, warrior and thief in the group.
the monk uses h2h, the warrior 1h sword and the thief dagger.

A possible chain would be : combo -> burning blade -> wasp sting

Wow, explained very easily :

Monk does combo -> wait 3 seconds -> warrior does burning blade -> wait 3 seconds -> thief does wasp sting.

Does'nt sound too hard now, does it? :D

To make it even easier, u should all make macros like /p my TP <tp>
so that the chain starter can see if everyone has sufficient TP to do the chain.

Also make a macro for when u do ur weaponskill, like this
1st line : /ws "Burning Blade" <t>
2nd line: /p Performing Burning Blade !! <call2>

So when u hit ur weaponskill, the next player knows when to count 3 seconds to do his weaponskill.
<call2> makes a little sound, wich makes it easier in the chaos of battle to know when to do ur weaponskill in the renkei.

Important note : if u dont pull of ur weaponskill after the previous player within the time limit of 3-4 seconds the renkei will fail !!!
Do it too soon, and it will fail too.

Its alot of fun to have a group working together, everyone doing their part in the skillchain.
There's also the magic burst wich u pull of during renkei, but im too tired to explain it too :p

Any questions about the macros and stuff, just post them.

I hope this has helped some players understanding a bit better how to do renkei :)

S

Sharma

Ok to sum up:

ok here goes

magic burst is a bit harder to do then just the skillchain because of the timing

but first things first

lets take a very easy low lvl chain for example : performed by 2 1h warriors
fast blade -> burning blade

so now u go check on ur renkei chart ( http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blkhrtll/renkei.jpg ) and look up what kind of renkei it is
u can see that fast blade -> burning blade is liquefaction (check the arrows)

now, every renkei is bound to an elemental

scission -> earth
liquefaction -> fire
impaction -> thunder
induration -> ice
reverberation -> water
shrinkage -> dark
transfixion -> light
detenation -> wind

fusion -> fire or light
distortion -> water or ice
fragmentation -> wind or thunder
gravitation -> gravity or earth

so we see that liquefaction = fire elemental, so the blm has to cast fire during the renkei

the timing : the mage has 5 seconds to cast his spell IF his magic burst is at the end of the chain
if u start doing longer chains like fast blade -> burning blade -> flat blade the mage only has 1 second to do his spell on the second WS
thats the hard part, but dont worry, if the spell is too late, it wont screw up the renkei like it does with a wrong weaponskill

so recap : fast blade -> second WAR waits 3 seconds -> burning blade -> BLM waits (not longer then 5 secs) -> Fire spell

if u do it correctly, the spell will be amplified 2x to 10x wich is pretty impressive

note : whm's can do magic bursts too with cure(Or banish as Trist has suggested), u just have to match the elemental, afaik cure is light elemental

remember the timing, coordinate it, practice with ur group and u'll get it right

also

http://nhz.host.sk/ffxi/page.php?id=143

and the chart at

http://bmp.home9.dk3.com/renkei.pdf

Using Jaxal's example as a time-schedule:

00 sec - P1 readies "Fast Blade" (thus P2 starts counting 3 secs)
01 sec -
02 sec -
03 sec - P2 readies "Burning Blade" (thus P3 starts counting 3 secs)
04 sec - Liquefaction Renkei Effect + Mage starts casting Fire
05 sec -

06.0 sec - Renkei Effect over + Mage's Fire activated = MAGIC BURST!
06.5 sec - P3 readies "Flat Blade"

07 sec - Fusion Renkei Effect
08 sec -
09 sec - Renkei Effect Over + Mage starts casting Fire
10 sec -
11 sec -
12 sec - Mage's Fire Activated = MAGIC BURST!

The window for mid-renkei Magic burst is just 1 sec, while it's 5 secs after the Renkei chain.

( to sum it up: timing for mid-renkei magic bursts is a bitch )
( notice: all timing uses actual activation of the effect, not the 'readies' part )

more info at: http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/final_fantasy_xi_renkei.txt ( copy/paste - he doesn't like hot-linking )

N

-Nxs-

I think Banish is for Light (not cure) according to my guide.

J

Jaxal

cure is light too and u can do a magicburst with it, try it out

S

Sharma

Added banish onto the cure burst bit nonetheless. :)

J

Jiggs

where it starts getting interesting is when you get a bard to debuff the element of the renkei and magic burst :)

K

Koekepan

I combined the crappy renkei chart linked above with the old high res one (the one with the wrong translations) to make a better printable version.

[edit]
Uploaded. Tell me if you find errors etc.
http://www.moogle.demon.nl/ffxi/renkei.jpg
[/edit]

[edit2]
This chart is now outdated.
A (crappy) new one has been released with the katana and gun skills. Gonna fix mine soon since the new one still has fugly arrows.
[/edit2]

K

Koekepan

Too bad you can't use it if you don't have two comps.

W

Whisperess

Printers are lovely :)

( yeah, bit old-fashioned, I know - but it gets the job done )

C

Cush

Originally posted by Jaxal
cure is light too and u can do a magicburst with it, try it out

did a magic burst with paralyze once :) (didnt do any dmg still a magic burst tho) happend all by accident tho.

Users who are viewing this thread