Renderer Creation Failed

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I realise this topic has been covered here:

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=7950

However, mine is a different problem. I have an ATI Radeon X1800 gfx card - I can play DAoC for hours and it's fine, but then all of a sudden I get the game not just LD'ing, but actually crashing to desktop. When I try to restart the game, I get the 'render creation failed' and I actually have to restart the PC to continue with the game (which when I'm on vent etc. is a right pain).

The support stuff from official sites does not cover Cata client:

http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=229

And even if it did, the 'don't play it in the resolution you had it in before' is pretty poor info.

I'm at a loss what to do, I have tried:

--> Stress testing CPU, MoBo, Gfx card and checking all the voltages
--> Reinstalling ATI drivers from the latest (6.8) incrementally back to the ones that came with the card - I only got the card 2 weeks ago
--> Re-installing XP Service Pack 2 and installing updates one-by-one just in case
--> Updating DirectX to 9.0c
--> Looping a Benchmark, which told me there was a DirectX failure

Is there anyone out there with similar problems that have found a solution?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. :)

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Its solved by deleting your chanter and druid, then rolling mid with me !

I miss joo :<

BiRRRRraAAATanaANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"3111!1£12ASDFAFNAJB!1!23!1!!!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
I doubt youll find any usefull information, basicaly your client is just crashing and that messes up directx so you cant restart it, hence the message about render creation failed.

Many possible faults, you seem to have checked your drivers, but im always suspicous of gfx drivers + daoc, esp ati ones.

tollstore

Fledgling Freddie
I had a similair problem and it did my head in for weeks - In the end it turned out to be a faulty memory module - something i didnt even think to check at first as every other prog worked fine. Turns out at the time camelot was the only prog i used that put the stress on the memory for a dump back to desktop. Might be worth checking ? Also you not said if there's anything in application and sys logs in event viewer that might give a clue as to what is going wrong.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I can't find anything in event logs that's still causing my long-time problem. Is there anyone out there using an ATI Radeon X1800 and it's working fine? Beginning to think along compatibility lines tbh. :puke:

Skg

Fledgling Freddie
This happened me just before my GFX-card broke :/

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
kiliarien said:
I can't find anything in event logs that's still causing my long-time problem. Is there anyone out there using an ATI Radeon X1800 and it's working fine? Beginning to think along compatibility lines tbh. :puke:
hmm... didn't see this question when you first posted it, but can I first say: Nice post! Thanks for a proper question here :). Quite refreshing since most times it's "Stuff don't work no more. Plz hlp kktnx" :)

Compatibility issue could be it, but to be honest, I doubt it, since I would reckon it'd give a blue screen with some memory or gfx error, and not a CTD. Atleast I'd think you wouldn't have a problem restarting daoc if the CTD is due to a compatibility issue.
I would think it's either a glitch in the windows (or DirectX) installation itself, a driver issue, or a little error at the end of the GFX's memory. But then again, I have never experienced this issue (apart from just a lack of DirectX) so I can only try some logical guessing...

Does this also happen with other games by the way?

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
Well i dont have a x1800 but ...

I just recently (about 2 weeks ago) upgraded my rad 9600 pro to a x1600 pro with 512 mb ram and 12 pipes etc to enhance my game performance .. only prob with the old one was a little lag in heavy bg's etc .... after my upgrade i get similar problems

I can play for hours but suddenly in the frontiers or when porting my game crash and i get the rendere creation failed ... the last couple of days i get a total crash and my pc restarts and i get more datails from microsoft wich all concerns a device driver ... it can more or less only be my new saphire x1600 pro ...

I have tried the newest driver aswell with no luck the originals etc ... all but reinstalling my game wich i doubt will do any good, since that wasn't a problem with the old gfx ... all updates have been done aswell etc ...

the reason i got the x1600 pro is that my mb only supports agpx8 its and old asus p500s i think its called with a northwood 3.0 ghz cpu that still after all this years does the job :)

/Mirk

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
hmm... didn't see this question when you first posted it, but can I first say: Nice post! Thanks for a proper question here :). Quite refreshing since most times it's "Stuff don't work no more. Plz hlp kktnx" :)

Does this also happen with other games by the way?

Thanks for being so nice :) I haven't had the problem with other games which is what leads me to a compatibility conclusion. I agree with you in that I should expect more than just CTD if it was incompatibile.

The GoA guys are working on it too, they have already got me to disable my Checksum Offload on my network card but it didn't do the trick. I also decided to try going back further on the drivers to Catalyst 5.4, and when that didn't work tried Omega drivers too, and it still happened with them.

I have tried both using the full Catalyst control centre and then the driver only versions to check any form of difference, and there isn't. What concerns me more now, is that Vent crashes just before DAoC sometimes too - which I think would suggest DirectX weirdness.

I'll try and keep you all posted on the continuing saga and as I have an SLI board I might put 2 GeForce's on my Christmas list :eek7:

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
I am Currently running on only drivers no calyst control what so ever .. havent crashed sofar ....

I havent played any other games during this period and as posted my previus gfx ati radeon 9600 pro worked great but lacked some memory + pipes ... hence i replaced it.

/Mirk

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Yeah I used to use a 9600 too - nice stable card. GoA have now suggested I run Catalyst 5.2 drivers, however the ones they sent me to on Guru3D don't seem to work - they don't install the Video Controllers. ANyone else got a working version of 5.2 out there?

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
And i crashed again .... and nope i dont have a 5.2 version laying around sadly.

I have made a ticket on www.ati.com so hopefully they will look into the problem aswell.

And aye it was working stable .... atleast i can still use my old one but thats just annoying really :)

/Mirk

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH
Thank god for this thread and the suggestion of using the 5.2 Catalyst drivers \o/

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Ixnay said:
Thank god for this thread and the suggestion of using the 5.2 Catalyst drivers \o/

Glad this has been of some help. An update from my side: I have updated to ATI 7.1 drivers from here: http://ati.de/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html - I would suggest just the display drivers as the whole Catalyst suite uses .NET framework which is a pain in the backside imo.

I have now had 4 or 5 long-ish sessions in rvr with no drop-outs to desktop and no renderer creation failed messages when trying to log back in.

Maybe DirectX/DAoC/ATI drivers and my X1800 are now ok, let's hope. As a side note, I also tried versions of the Omega drivers but still got the drop-out to desktop and renderer creation failed message, so I don't think they're a way around the problem. Good luck all :england:

dex

Fledgling Freddie
after taking vista off and putting xp back on i got a x1650pro and had the same probs even loading the game would cause render creation fail so i could´nt even log in with the cd drivers from ati. now ive got the 7.1 no probs anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom