Remote Shutdown Help

Ging

Part of the furniture
Anne, ive done some testing both scripted and manual and it seams i gave some bad advice as I coulndt get SU to work within a rcmd shell either. Soz.

Just out of curiosity how many clients (workstations/PC's) do you support on that LAN?

Sell them on getting an entry level SBS server and allow all your problems to be washed away :)

Let me know if you need any advice on that.

Anny

Fledgling Freddie
ging: not to worry about SU and RCMD, it was fun trying tbh :)

as for the clients, we only run 8 atm and half a dozen network printers so its quite an easily managable network, ive been through the dell website and picked out quite a nice system for the mere sum of £1700+vat which will do all we need and be able to cope with a few more clients further down the line,
but for the moment it just has to be a file server, exchange server and ftp server everything else is jsut a bonus, the annoying thing is the software prices, a ftp server program such as cute ftp server retails at £700 iirc, its been a few months since ive checked this tho, but generally everything is so expensive

Ging

Part of the furniture
Its defo the way forward for you and remeber when selling the idea to the boss that the server will have a 5 year life cycle so it makes it alot easier to view with total costings split over 5 year period. I dont knwo if your aware of this or not but SBS 2003 premium also includes a fully working copy of all the back office apps (Exchange, ISA, IIS etc..) so you wouldnt have to worry about purchasing a seperate FTP server. You can continue to pop your mail using the Pop3 Connector that comes with SBS version of Exchange. As far as hardware goes you need to work out your capacity requirements. You can build yourself a cheap Serial ATA (H/W RAID1) system for under £1000 and dependent on data growth you can start of with a cheap "travan" or maybe DDS4 backup system. Remember with 8 users you will require 10 cals.

Ofc one of the benefits of purchasing a branded system would be warranty. I cant recommend any of the manufacturers over each other as basically they are all using the some components but make sure you get a decent "next day" 3 year warranty. I'm reselling Fujitsu's atm and tbh Ihave been very impressed.

anyway i babble on.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Anny said:
as for the clients, we only run 8 atm and half a dozen network printers so its quite an easily managable network, ive been through the dell website and picked out quite a nice system for the mere sum of £1700+vat which will do all we need and be able to cope with a few more clients further down the line

U know u can have only 10 concurrent connections on a winxp based peer network? that gives u 3 more pc's assuming the one operating as a server is also being used as a work station. u could bend this down to 2 in any discussion u have with your boss. you could take the well 2 more worksatations and were stuffed approach. SBS would be my advice also, and btw in regards to buying from dell try a 3rd party reseller, i get all my dell kit much cheaper from a reseller than dell will offer direct, go figure :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom