Remote controlled PC.

S

(Shovel)

Read Jas' remote control thread and had a though.

Can you get remote controls to turn the PC on/off, volume control, application hot keys etc?
I'm thinking that I could have my PC sitting quiet, turn it on from my bed and put some music on. Rather than having to get up, log in THEN put music on..

Or am I just dreaming?

S

S-Gray

Hmm, i had the very same thought last night, to turn on your PC from the couch, or open the CD Rom etc etc heh

O

old.Jas

Hum... my PC is running 24/7 - don't most people do this?

S

S-Gray

use too, but thought was a waste of time ,seen as tho i dont download much now

W

Wilier

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
......... or open the CD Rom etc etc heh

heh, and then use a robot arm to change the cd.;)

S

S-Gray

but of course, the "ultimate laze machine for Computers" heh

S

Summo

I want to be able to phone my PC from my mobile to switch it on so that its ready when I get home.

I want that!

W

Wilier

Originally posted by Summo
I want to be able to phone my PC from my mobile to switch it on so that its ready when I get home.

I want that!

Speaking of which, I want to be able to phone home so that Mrs Wil is switched on and warmed up for when I get in.

I want that.

:D

X

Xavier

if you ask Gypsy nicely he might tell you where he found this miracle item but anyhow... basically he's spotted a two part kit - remote control for your keys and a unit that sits in a PCI slot and connects to the jumpers on your mobo where the power switch normally sits

press one button on the remote and the pc turns on... perfect when you're just arriving home (well Gypsy thought it twas cool anyhow... :p)

S

Scooba Da Bass

DON'T BUY ATI WAIT FUR TEH NVAIDA REMOET!

S

Summo

Compaq do a similar board for their servers. It's effectively a small PC which plugs into a PCI slot. Has its own separate power supply, modem, NIC... Very handy. Might see if I can get something for meh PC.

Or is that too nerdy? I think it just might be...

M

.Moriarty.

I reckon it would be possible to do if you have a nic that supports WOL. Send a magic packet over the net before you leave work and your pc will be well booted by the time you get home :)

802.11b kit and small laptops can come into their own for stuff like this aswell..

G

greendemon

Has anyone got a tool that will send a magic WOL packet over the internet?

I've only ever been able to get WOL working on a LAN.

Users who are viewing this thread