REgarding the lag issues, is it specific to DAOC?

D

danskmacabre

Does anyone play the various other Online RPG games as well?

If so, Are they experiencing the same lag issues that DAOC is experiencing?

Just wondering, coz, if the problem is due to Wannadoo or KPNqwest or whatever, then maybe other games are having the same problem...

Anyone know?

L

listepik

The internet as a whole, are experiencing nasty lag these days. some might be lucky, and not feel it, some cant use the net properly.

Just hope youre one of the lucky fellas :)

I

inqy

well from work I get a perfect connection to daoc. no lag whatsoever. shame I can't play here much ;(

from home it's hovering yellow to red constantly in the perfmon. green sometimes makes an appearance.

this is what is forcing me to play my other games at the moment and it's a real shame. ;(

I

inqy

it's worth mentioning when I play at work is only for about an hour, during lunch break, which is not peak time at all. (I won't be sticking around until 8pm to find out if it's same though ;p )

C

Catnip Lightpaw

Sorry guys, but this is probably not GOA's fault, it's the internet in general, it's all over the place at the moment due to all sorts of companies going out of business, there has been a lot of the transatlantic traffic being routed via Europe from the UK, and this mostly goes via France or Germany. So your probably getting extra lag due to all the UK traffic being sent to France for the US……think how we feel

I don't think it will get better short term until everything is sorted out.

In fact some emails from my university computing services might help clarify what i mean:

JANET uses a 2.5 Gb/s link from London to New York to provide connections to two
US research networks (ESnet and Abilene). This link is supplied by Teleglobe(UK)
who went into administration on Monday 20th May 2002.

As a result of this, JANET will be performing tests tomorrow (Thursday 30th May)
to send this traffic via GEANT (our European connection) so that they have a
known, working alternative onto which this traffic can transferred. If it works
correctly, this alternative path will be left in place for 24 hours to check it
as thoroughly as possible ahead of a probable permanent change in mid-June.

Please see http://www.ukerna.ac.uk/awareness/teleglobe.html for JANET's
announcement. Note that direct access to Abilene and ESnet will be subject to
interruption during the this period.

The second 2.5 Gb/s link to the US, which carries the bulk of the traffic, is
supplied by KPNQwest and remains unchanged.

That was the 1st one we got and then....

>UKERNA have been informed that KPNQwest UK, providers of JANET's
>transit to the Internet, have entered into voluntary administration
>with immediate effect.
>
>Maintenance levels are currently unclear and UKERNA is in the process
>of negotiating transit from an alternative provider to be installed as
>soon as possible. It should be possible to install this before any
>interruption to service occurs.

There goes the second 2.5g link to the US , and then.......

Due to the situation at KPNQwest, the transatlantic connectivity that they
provided has been transferred to a new connection provided by UUNET/WorldCom.

A good move, well it was until:

Most of you have probably heard that the US company WorldCom has announced
serious financial problems involving misrepresented accounts. This is of
particular concern to the UK academic community as their UK subsidiary provides
most of the SuperJANET backbone. In addition it also supplies one of the
transatlantic connections - this being a recent change following the problems
with KPNQwest.

Should WorldCom collapse and take the UK subsidiary with it, then there will be
serious problems for JANET and, in the worst case scenario, we could end up with
no internet connectivity (and we wouldn't be unique in this!). UKERNA is
monitoring WorldCom's position but currently has no contingency arrangement in
place for SJ4 (cost was too high). However, they are now exploring alternatives
with other suppliers in case WorldCom do fail. Their current position is stated
at:

http://www.ukerna.ac.uk/awareness/worldcom.html

Whilst there is no certainty about anything, one possibility is that the US
parent files for Chapter 11 while the UK subsidiary continues to operate until
the situation becomes clearer. This would, at least, give UKERNA some time to
make alternative arrangements if they are needed.

UKERNA supply JANET which is the Join Academic NETwork in the UK, all the universities are linked by it to the net, and most of the uk goverment departments as well, which is a large proportion of the UK internet. And don't forget that most of the ISP's in the UK all used either WorldCom or KPNQWest.

O

old.Enflo

I play on the US servers as well as the Eu servers, along with a couple of others I know. The EU servers are very laggy compaired to the US ones and i'm in the UK. Its quite obvious which direction the problem is.

A

Alrindel

I play on the US servers as well as the EU servers, along with a couple of others I know. The US servers are very laggy compaired to the EU ones and I'm in France. Its quite obvious which direction the problem is. :p

O

old.Enflo

Exactly, its the connection between here and France!:p

EDIT: Or should that be France and the rest of the world;)

F

Flimgoblin

Am I right in thinking that most of the Europe->US connections go through the UK?

In which case it seems like UK<->Rest of Europe is a bit fragged... whilst most of the UK<->US are still operational?

Which is why you get a nice ping to the US from britain... but from anywhere going through france/germany you don't..

Of course with WorldCom going titsup.com then it might soon change...

V

Vell

Most of the main inter-Europe connections (ie - connecting the major cities in Europe) were run by KPNQwest. Which is why many inter-European connections have gone bad bad bad. The transatlantic connections mainly run by world.com. So for the moment, they are alright. Of course, this may change....

S

Sortbane

heh.. we've had one of those christian cults here in norway proclaiming that the internet is the first coming of the apocalypse and therefore that Jesus is coming back... :p

Sickofit: do you slaugther little kittens and kill your children that masturbate? (just wondering here, love all the doomsday prophecies :D )

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Sortbane

Sickofit: do you slaugther little kittens and kill your children that masturbate? (just wondering here, love all the doomsday prophecies :D )

I only slaughter masturbating, little kittens... well, if I find any.

Smitetheungodly Withcunningarguments may have a sermon, regarding the coming apocalypse, for us..

Rejoice! The end is near!

D

Damon_D

Bahhh if ya end is near , then please put on some trausers ya git :p

C

Catnip Lightpaw

On the news last night, WorldCom might file for chapter 11 bankruptcy as early as next week.

Say Bye Bye to the nice US links :(

O

old.Ozwin

Have to say , im having horrendous lag with my DAOC euro account however i have a next to perfect US account connection.
Not sure whats happening there.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.Ozwin
Have to say , im having horrendous lag with my DAOC euro account however i have a next to perfect US account connection.
Not sure whats happening there.

Ozwin - please read the thread first... connections around Europe are screwy, the ones to the US are ok (for now)...

<sighs>

O

old.Ozwin

I did read the thread first actually .

<Sighs>

O

old.amoeba

How do we get the perfmon thingy up? Also is there anyway to see fps - I have a leet machine, and sometimes it slows to an absolute crawl!

D

dittytwo

Originally posted by old.amoeba
How do we get the perfmon thingy up? Also is there anyway to see fps - I have a leet machine, and sometimes it slows to an absolute crawl!

that will be during RVR or when there are loads of people about

not the network then it is due to the graphics engine not being very good (crap if you like) there isa thread where a bloke stats that he upgraded from a geforce 2 to a geforce 4 ti4600 and was still getting 4FPS in RVR (this is due to the engine)

when the expansion comes out we can all rejoice as we will have a better graphics engine no internet to play it on but a better graphics engine

Users who are viewing this thread