Regarding hacked accounts

legis

Fledgling Freddie
I read the now closed thread and I was horrified reading all the so called experts make a comment about how easy it is to hack hotmail and that these accounts are hacked that way. I bet this has nothing to do with hotmail security at all, which I can't believe anyone is accusing at the moment. The most probable cause is, just like in 95% of virus issues, the human factor. Those having gotten their account information stolen have done something without thinking, and it is not a hotmail issue.

If anyone has solid proof of it, please send it my way and I will look into it. Until then, stop the fud.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
It is a hotmauil security issue since theres about a cajillion exploits known for it and since its a free service, MS couldnt give a toss about it. :twak:

Draylor

Part of the furniture
legis said:
The most probable cause is, just like in 95% of virus issues, the human factor.
Of course - but the fact remains: Hotmail has been a disaster in terms of security for at least the last 5 years and still shows no signs of improving.

If your using it for anything even slightly important your just asking for trouble.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Not that it matters when the rest of the service is crap imo.
Why would anyone want to use it anyway?

burg

Fledgling Freddie
legis said:
If anyone has solid proof of it, please send it my way and I will look into it. Until then, stop the fud.

I agree, post some solid proof of it.

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
Because the service rocks :D

Ranger

Fledgling Freddie
theres another way of getting into hotmail accounts, by guessing there secure question, my mate once had

"my favourate colour..."

now comon .... it will take 5 mins tops to type out every colour in the rainbow :eek:

so make sure you dont have noob questions :cheers:

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:

It's quiet easy to figure out why ppl use it. First of all its free. Second reasson is that "everyone" used it in a time when I didnt know anything about internet etc. another reason is that i needed/wanted my own email adres and my dad used our isp email addy. (back then you only got 1 email adres). fourth reason is MSN. can say what you want but it's a nice program to chat with your friends. (yes there are better, but since "everyone" is using it its easier to use the same)

now there are also a number of reasons why I keep using it. The most important reason is that a lot of old friends i hardly speak have my email adress and drop a line or two every now and then. It's easier to keep the account and keep using it then to track down everybodies email adress and mail them my new one.
Another big reason is that it has saved my ass numerous times at uni up to know. I make a report that needs to be hand in, print it out go to school and find out the rain has wet your report, the fat guy sitting on your bag has crushed the floppy so your basicly screwed. But since i ALWAYS mail it to my self i can open up the report at every internet connection and reprint the thing

As long as you don't use hotmail for any sensitive information storage i don't see any problems using it. its free, easy to use and easy to acces.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
you dont have to have a hotmail addy to use msn u can use other email addys so msn isnt a good reason .. it just that M$ try to make you think you need a hotmail account for it.

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
no the MSN part was a reason why i initially signed up for a hotmail account. and about that everyone, well, everyone at school used it when i discovered the wondors of internet.

Eroa

Banned
Maybe has something to do with me starting to use a PC ~15 years ago not beeing that into MSN ^^;

(just noticed when i posted it i been using a PC about as long time as sharma been alive) :)

legis

Fledgling Freddie
People, people come on. Only thing I see here is "M$ sucks", "Hotmail is crap", "M$ doesn't give a damn and a child can hack Hotmail". Now give me proof of it. You obviously don't have the slightest idea of what resource Microsoft puts into Hotmail, and you have no facts about a security issue at all in regards to Hotmail.

Yes, you should never save vital, important information on ANY public mail server. This is not specific to Hotmail, it's a general thing that does not only apply to online services.

Security wise though, regarding hacking accounts. IF there was an issue it would be taken care of and there would be news all over the world because every chance you can get to slander/nag on Microsoft does not run by news papers unnoticed. Have there been such reports? Nop. Is anything besides DAOC accounts being hacked? Nop, not afaik.

There has been issues and especially one, which happened over 4 years ago. But then again, people like to believe what their friends tell them without checking the validity.

So, if you have any information, spit it out. Otherwise I'll just repeat myself. Stop the fud! You are not doing anyone any good by spreading lies.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
legis said:

You expect people to post information on how to aquire hotmail passwords ? urm sorry but wont do that, the fud remains dont use hotmail/yahoo or any other mass free webmail system, keep to smaller less-known sites or your ISP's mail.

Would you register your bank account details to a plastic Box somewhere in london ? I think not.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
legis said:
People, people come on. Only thing I see here is "M$ sucks", "Hotmail is crap", "M$ doesn't give a damn and a child can hack Hotmail". Now give me proof of it. You obviously don't have the slightest idea of what resource Microsoft puts into Hotmail, and you have no facts about a security issue at all in regards to Hotmail.

Yes, you should never save vital, important information on ANY public mail server. This is not specific to Hotmail, it's a general thing that does not only apply to online services.

Security wise though, regarding hacking accounts. IF there was an issue it would be taken care of and there would be news all over the world because every chance you can get to slander/nag on Microsoft does not run by news papers unnoticed. Have there been such reports? Nop. Is anything besides DAOC accounts being hacked? Nop, not afaik.

There has been issues and especially one, which happened over 4 years ago. But then again, people like to believe what their friends tell them without checking the validity.

So, if you have any information, spit it out. Otherwise I'll just repeat myself. Stop the fud! You are not doing anyone any good by spreading lies.

Google search it for yourself

Oh and for one i seem to agree with Eroa :eek6:

Cyfr

Banned
I have a better idea, stop using goa as they have been hacked before so..

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Vae said:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/6492.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21118.html

<cough>
Maybe certain people should eat their words...

Maybe old but it proves its been done.

Why should I eat my own words, that's exactly what I said but maybe you are too lazy to read the whole message.

I don't expect anyone to tell me exactly how it's done, just proof that it's been done. That's a big difference. This far it's all fud, no evidence or anything just some people acting cool thinking they know stuff.

Since 2001, even Hotmail has had security reviews so bringing up old stuff is plain stupid, especially since it's no news.

I hope this clarifies things to those having an open mind. There is no such thing as a way to exploit Hotmail accounts at the moment. Unless someone is secretely holding on to the knowledge, but if someone does it makes me think how one of those spreading the fud started to think Hotmail is to blame.

My advice, use your common sense. If you have stuff you don't want anyone to be able to access, you keep it somewhere only you have access. That means offline the Internet.

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
legis said:
Now now, don't be sour just because I took BadOmen away..
Im sure most people dont give a fuck about the reputation that companies get - the only people that actually care are stakeholders.

From what I've read though there are only 2 common denominators in the hacks that went on - and they are Hotmail and DAOC.

So which one do you think is gonna get the drop because of incidents like this? Fud or not its still a bit suss.

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Fink said:
Im sure most people dont give a fuck about the reputation that companies get - the only people that actually care are stakeholders.

From what I've read though there are only 2 common denominators in the hacks that went on - and they are Hotmail and DAOC.

So which one do you think is gonna get the drop because of incidents like this? Fud or not its still a bit suss.

If I would choose I would not choose Hotmail. DAoC is way more easy to hack than Hotmail.

Dahr

Fledgling Freddie
legis said:
I read the now closed thread and I was horrified reading all the so called experts make a comment about how easy it is to hack hotmail and that these accounts are hacked that way. I bet this has nothing to do with hotmail security at all, which I can't believe anyone is accusing at the moment. The most probable cause is, just like in 95% of virus issues, the human factor. Those having gotten their account information stolen have done something without thinking, and it is not a hotmail issue.

I can't prove it at all (maybe others can) but I think it's kinda obvious with several people in my guild loosing acces to their hotmail and msn (because obviously someone else has obtained it and is using it) and shortly after this happens someone's daoc acct gets "hacked". I really doubt any of these people in my guild all did something stupid at the same time and got "hacked" at the same time and from one of them I know for sure he did nothing stupid with his hotmail info or daoc acct.

So explain to me, how this hacker got acces to their hotmail accts in the first place and shortly after was on one our member's daoc acct?

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
legis said:
If I would choose I would not choose Hotmail. DAoC is way more easy to hack than Hotmail.

Do you work for Microsoft?

legis

Fledgling Freddie
Dahr said:
I can't prove it at all (maybe others can) but I think it's kinda obvious with several people in my guild loosing acces to their hotmail and msn (because obviously someone else has obtained it and is using it) and shortly after this happens someone's daoc acct gets "hacked". I really doubt any of these people in my guild all did something stupid at the same time and got "hacked" at the same time and from one of them I know for sure he did nothing stupid with his hotmail info or daoc acct.

So explain to me, how this hacker got acces to their hotmail accts in the first place and shortly after was on one our member's daoc acct?

Do they have anything in common, like being on the same IP range (same ISP) or living near eachother? Messenger sends messages unencrypted so if they have exchanged any information that way someone could have picked it up. What makes me curious about this scenario is that your friends belong to the same guild and "know" eachother and maybe even socialize outside DAoC. Do they have their email addresses listed on any Guild website?

In addition, are they registered with camelot using their hotmail account? Have they recently (before having their accounts stolen) gotten a new password or requested one from GOA?

Dahr

Fledgling Freddie
Most of them don't live near eachother, some used hotmail for their daoc acct yes and we suspect the "hacker" got hold of their accts via either chim's msn contacts and so on. Only one of the people that got their hotmail accts hacked actually had his daoc acct hacked as well, the others took measures just in time.

It just seems quite unrealistic for 5 people to have their hotmail accounts hacked (and passwords etc all changed) and not think their is some security leak in hotmail itself.

I replied to this thread, because you wanted proof and this is the closest I can come in giving you proof (I'm not interested in looking up hotmail loopholes online etc.). It's not about their daoc acct getting hacked, but their hotmail acct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom