redhat boot prob

O

old.mike15

I am dual booting redhat 7.2 and windows xp. I am using grub or whatever the default boot loader is. it was booting into linux fine. But for some reason now when I boot into linux it boots into the console not the graphical. I want to know how to get it to boot into the graphical logon and from there to kde or gnome. I cant do anything with all text.

B

bids

Once you've logged in type:

startx

This assumes you have already configured all the settings for X-Windows. From there, use Linuxconf or KickStart Configurator to boot into X on startup.

O

old.mike15

when I put startx after logging in it comes up with the following errors:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

B

bids

Sounds as though your video settings for X-Windows are knackered. Two options, one easy, one painful:

Easy - when you get to the command prompt (as root) can you run Xconfigurator (capital X, rest lower case) ? Set at lowest resolutions to get things running, and then re-configure from within KDE/Gnome.

Painful - manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config file - making sure all resolutions are set to lowest in Monitor and Video sections.

T

Testin da Cable

what Bids says.

also it may pay to have a look at the Xserverlog in /var/log/Xf86something.log

Z

Zarjazz

You could also run 'Xconfigurator' which will generate a new (working) XF86Config file for you.

S

ShockingAlberto

You are starting X as root aren't you? Anyway, it doesn't matter - If X isn't starting, and it should be, then it is b0rked.

If you've changed your config file, then just undo what you did. If you didn't do anything to X, then you're in trouble, so reconfigure it as others have said.

If you have KDE installed, then you will be using KDM, if you don't have KDE installed, then you'll probebrly have GDM, if that makes any differance.

O

old.mike15

yea I installed Gnome and KDE. Its still not booting right still goes straight to text. I never changed any files or anything. It just started doing that on its own. I think im gonna remove it from this pc and put a version, I have red hat 7.2 and just bought mandrake 8.1, of linux on a seperate machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom