Recruitment Agencies, and the lies they tell

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I've just started looking for a new job at the moment (hate my current job and the whole infosec market seems to be picking up again, probably due to Sarbanes-Oxley), and one agency seems to be getting me interviews (2 so far), but it's not gone any further yet. Now we all know that recruitment agencies can be scum, but I've got a bit of a situation happening with this one, that means I've become uncomfortable with dealing with them. I'm wondering if I should confront them on it.

Situation basically is that I went for an interview last week, and it all seemed to go ok, but I got feedback the next day basically saying that they weren't going ahead as they had found someone more suitable that had more relevant industry experience. Ok, fair enough. I'm getting this a lot, probably because I have worked in Local Government for the last 2 years (although before this I have consultancy, SI, Hosting/ISP and financial experience). So I look at jobserve today, and I see *exactly* the same vacancy being re-advertised, by the same agency (even by the same recruitment 'consultant'). I've heard nothing from them about this, so I can infer that they have basically lied to me, and they have probably done so before, as the feedback I got from my previous interview was *very* similar (and interview feedback, as people probably know, is quite important to getting a good job).

So, should I confront them about this (and possibly end up with them not putting me forward for anymore jobs), or keep quiet (possibly look like a tit in an interview if they've lied about me in some way, and not being comfotable by being represented by an unethical company)? What's people's thought on this?

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Bear in mind as well, that Jobserve is just as bad, and will keep repeating adverts a new, even if the postion was gone over a few weeks ago... I was contracting a for a couple of years at the start of 2000 (recently started up again) and a few times I saw my contract on Jobserve when I was working at that very same place!!

The best thing I've found with agencies, is make a note of everyone you speak to, make sure you get thier numbers, and phone them each and every day. 9am, get on the phone, remind them you're still looking, have they found anything, you'll call back tomorrow etc... with agencies persistance is the key, you have to get into thier heads and make sure your CV isn't just filed away under 'tat'.

Good luck to you, and once you've got a foot in with one agency and you've had a good report from your boss, generally that agency will bend over backwards to get you work, which means asking for more money!!

Gumbo

FH is my second home
They work for you remember, not vice versa. If you're not happy with what they are doing then get them to sort it, or go with a different agency.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just a suggestion: maybe they are trying to let you down gently? Not nice, I know, but possible.

Part of the role of the recruitment company, from a recruiters perspective, I must say, is to handle/manage the candidates they put forward. In other words, I will often say to a recruitment consultant "it's a no to so and so, blah blah and whatshername, but I want Mr X back on Tuesday" and I expect them to handle it thereafter. I should add, however, that this would be at the decision stage, and I may be a bit unusual in that I always try to give very frank and honest feedback directly after the interview, if not even during it.

How to handle the situation? I would gently ask them at some point whether one of the positions where you were rejected re-opened due to someone dropping out, and explain that you have seen it re-advertised. This might not get you a truthful answer on that position, but it may well show them you are on your toes and they need to be more honest (if indeed dishonesty is a part of it).

Either way, good luck and if you stick at it I'm sure you will find something suitable soon :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
If the company tells the agent "they sucked" the agent isnt going to tell you that: they want their commission by getting you a job elsewhere.
If the company tells the agent "why did you send that person to me, not what we're looking for" they wont tell you that, they dont want to make it obvious they are clueless muppets (even though basically all recruitment agents are)

Agents lie, agents are clueless, life is better if you dont have to deal with them.

As long as you remember the only words you can believe are "yes" and "no" (and even thats pushing it) youll be ok.

Finding another agency cant hurt, but if that one gets you interviews then all you need is a agency bullshit to english dictionary :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have to agree. In my experience, agencies only become successful when they're forced to find the work for you, before getting paid. Those agencies that receive subscriptions really aren't worth a rash from an arse.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks guys, I spoke to a few of my friends about this, and they pretty much agree with you, it's not worth the bother, and it's pretty much a problem with recruitment agencies in general. I guess it's the type of people that recruitment attracts! Relatively inexperienced 'wide-boy' sales people (slightly above pond scum evolutionary, on a level with estate agents) who suffer from a major lack of morals, and are out for a quick buck, basically!

I may quietly bring it up with them later, but it will probably be more trouble than it's worth! Oh well, guess I'll never trust a word that recruitment people say again.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
It's possible that the agency is recycling the job advert in order to get new people to submit their details ... their rational is that similar jobs like this come up all the time and that it's best to get on their books so they can put you forward when one does.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Don't forget that every now and again you can stumble on a decent recruitment agency.

Whilst many estate agents are scum - not all are - I'd look for one that gives you a good gut feel and who are honest about what they think of your prospects...

Personally an agency got me my first job and did a stand up job for me.

It's not all bad imo.

M

rynnor

Rockhound
But much of it is bad - I have had agencies that steal the staff from one company they are paid to source staff for and place them with another higher paying customer and then backfilling the vacancy they made...

Agencies asking me to find them documents to tutor applicants for jobs they know nothing about...

Agencies that defrauded their creditors...

Treat them as scum and you wont be dis-appointed really.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
If anyone sees any good jobs going for either MySQL DBAs or Windows/Linux server support, please PM me. I can't keep working in this dump :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
There is no such thing as a decent agency.

They are supposed to be there working for you to get you a job that suite your needs but thats not what they do. They are only in it for themselves trying to get as much money as they can and your needs come a very distant second or possibly 5th.

I wouldnt trust an agnecy as far as I could throw them!

Ono

Part of the furniture
Agree with Dys.

I deal with them mainly as the recuiter these days and the crap they come out with is unbelievable.

Worst thing a lot of them to do me is to match candidate Salary expectations to the budget I quote on a role. One time had 2 jobs going. One for £30k pa and the other for £40k pa. Got CVs in for both roles. On that occassion they were CVs for the same candidate but with the salary changed to match the role!

Dickheads.

Also get a shit load of phone calls from them pretending to be someone from, say, the FSA asking about mu department. Obviously phishing for names to pester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom