Recording ingame movies

R

Ravenbourne

I have been playing around with fraps lately and whenever i use it my FPS drop to 4/5 which obviously is no good. i was wondering if anyone knows of another prog to record in-game movies or knows how well a manual video tape recorder linked to my vid out would work?

D

Demolay

Fraps 2 is good - tried everything else - recording PC to PC 5900 ultra ti VIVo 256 meg cards - AVID - DIGI beta - Beta SP - VHS - FInal Cut Pro 4 - Fraps still best easiest cheapest way - buy more RAM imo VHs is ok cheap n cheerful - mainly shytest thing bout all these movies generally is noone corrects the "I'm watching in a coal mine" gamma

You get noise bars on tape and 2nd generation but tis fine for internet if u really wanna go VHS

E

etcetra

i have 512SDD RAM or sumthing like that, costed my wallet thoug so should be good enough.. But when i press the record-button it hangs and stops and all that.. May it have to do with me Running windowed and many other programs at the same time? Was at Camlann, so cant have been "to many peeps" :p

D

Demolay

Never had any probs 512 with FRAPS with both radeon 9600 + 800 pro and Nvidia fx500ti - but just running DAOC and FRAPS nothing else

H

Hakansson

Got Amd 2700+ Raedon 9800PRO 512DDR PC2700 RAM and get's like 4-5fps if trying good qual , can get up to 12fps if i lower qual , but not still good enough imo =oP

and if i try record in SI mode then comp hangs , if in classic it works whit those uber 4fps , maybe it's not enough Ram

G

Groborthir

Software recording will always require a lot of power from your hardware (CPU, harddisk and RAM, mainly), and since it's a, let's call it delicate, process, you need to have the right settings for it to work properly. Otherwise it won't work or your ingame FPS will be so low you can't play.

The best way to record is still using either a DV cam or a TV-out/-in method, like the one you describe. It won't reduce FPS, the output will be better than Fraps or the likes (because it is direct screen copy, whereas programs such as fraps are either set to record at lower FPS, lower screen resolution, etc., in order to be able to play and keep filesizes at an acceptable size).

So your method would work well, I think. You need to have TV-in too, bear in mind. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom