Recommend me a UK ISP

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I have finally had it with my current ISP, Plusnet. They are completely useless, for the past few weeks I have been having to disconnect and reconnect just to get decently fast ping times. Only this evening it took 1.5 hours to do so.

So any good ISP's out there?

Thanks in advance

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Freedom2surf are pretty stable - I have used them for around 2yrs now and never had a prob.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Nildram.

Unfortunately Pipex have taken them over, but the Nilly staff are still there and their support and network is second to none imo.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Im with NTL, overpriced, but never had any problems and its never down.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Its like buying shoes mate, what fits me wont fit you.

Ask yourself what you want from an ISP then go and look for one that matches as closly as possable your needs.

www.adslguide.org is very helpful.

Pipex despite what people say are decent if you dont p2p and your a new customer.

personaly I'm with blueyonder/telewest and have no problems worth checking out if its avalable in your area imo.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
Its like buying shoes mate, what fits me wont fit you.

Ask yourself what you want from an ISP then go and look for one that matches as closly as possable your needs.

www.adslguide.org is very helpful.

Pipex despite what people say are decent if you dont p2p and your a new customer.

personaly I'm with blueyonder/telewest and have no problems worth checking out if its avalable in your area imo.

Yeah I have been looking there. Thing is Plusnet fit my needs perfectly, they are just useless at delivering.

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
You have sky TV? if so get sky broadband.. very good speeds/download limits and its like £10 a month for a 16mb connection

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Turran said:
You have sky TV? if so get sky broadband.. very good speeds/download limits and its like £10 a month for a 16mb connection

Looked into that myself looks a good deal but not available in like most of the country atm :<

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Gibbo said:
I have finally had it with my current ISP, Plusnet. They are completely useless, for the past few weeks I have been having to disconnect and reconnect just to get decently fast ping times. Only this evening it took 1.5 hours to do so.

Thanks in advance
Did you sign up to the 8mb thing?
in which case its to be expected if they are running line tests

Back on topic i hear good things about Zen internet

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Did you sign up to the 8mb thing?
in which case its to be expected if they are running line tests

Back on topic i hear good things about Zen internet

I haven't been "upgraded" yet

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
Looked into that myself looks a good deal but not available in like most of the country atm :<

Aye, lucky enough i can get it in my area

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
OK, well I have done it. I have signed up to Demon. I might be mad but that was the 1st ever ISP I used back in the days of 28k modems.

Himse

FH is my second home
Claranet.

They are quite expensive, but the support is next to none, ive never had to queue and had like one problem in abour 3 years.

Tomehb

Fledgling Freddie
Nildram in my view are by far the best..

Brillant Speeds, Brillant Support! Everything is simple! you pay for a good service an it aint to bad for £20 a month or so got 8meg with 50gb bandwidth cap, an if you download from 12am - 8am it dont count towards it... you can always buy more... and if you dont use it all it carrys on to the next month :)

Himse

FH is my second home
Oh and you have no download caps etc with claranet.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Himse said:
Oh and you have no download caps etc with claranet.
Most ISPs are subscribing to "traffic shapping" for P2P, Claranet have it on their "to do list". Pipex is now endorsed by german gay icon David Hasselhoff, so I wouldnt touch that unless you think baywatch was an "entertaining watch worthy of repeating in a nightly basis", or in other words "bargepole" comes to mind.

Nildram are more or less Pipex now, customer service is shit, Mcdonalds rejects for techy support and they dont give a rats arse when you ask for your MAC code. And they are traffic shaping P2P. I know some peeps who are limited to 20Kbs on a 4M connection using torrent or gnutella software.

Demon have 2 packages, the home one (19.99) is not limited, but has a fair use cap of around 20Gb/Month, over that they send warnings and will shut you down if yu take the piss. Their home/office solution (£24.99 / month) has no limits, so if you are a heavy P2Per its worth thinking of this. Demon also came second to BT for uptime and speed in last months test.

AOL suck, nuff said. BT suck, nuff said.

Either http://www.ispreview.com or www.adslguide.org can give semi decent info.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
This may be of use.

Just got this months "Which ? Computing" (Sept06) They rated loads of UK ISPs. There top 3 recommendations (overall score 72-77%) where..

1). Zen Internet www.zen.co.uk
2). Golbal www.golbalnet.co.uk
3). Waitrose www.waitrose.co.uk

Nildram came 7th (63%)
BT where 20th (34%)
Bulldog and NTL 27th and 28th out of about 30 (guess not a good recommendation)..

Hope thats of use :)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Other ISPs people mentioned as rated by Which..

plusnet 9th (57%)
freedom2surf 6th (63%)
claranet 18th (39%)
demon 11th (55%) - 20 quid package

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:

Thanks in advance

plusnet got 4/5 for connection and reliability..

pipex,nildram,global and zen got 5.

They didnt have many surveyed for gobal, so if money isnt a big issue I might be tempted to try zen. Scored 5% over 2nd place, let down on only getting 3/5 for value for money (25 quid a month).

From this list freedom2surf and nildram look good value for money at only 14 pounds a month ;)

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
plusnet got 4/5 for connection and reliability..

It is partly why I came onto here to ask about ISP's. Because if all I did was view web pages and download the occasional file then Plusnet would be great. It is only because I am playing a game do I see the problem.

Anyway I am still with them, they are dragging their heals and making it a long drawn out process, you can't phone them up because they don't like talking to people anymore and they haven't responded to my last online query for 4 days now....

Killswitch

FH is my second home
My company manages outsourced IT support for about 40 companies and including home ADSL for staff we have in excess of 100 ADSL lines across the country that we manage and bill for. We use Eclipse Internet for every single one and their service is excellent, response times are good and performance is perfectly acceptable for business (never really done any gaming via them if I'm honest..I use Telewest :p).

Very solid and dependable certainly..the only times we have problems with them it invariably turns out to have been BT ****ing something up.

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
It is partly why I came onto here to ask about ISP's. Because if all I did was view web pages and download the occasional file then Plusnet would be great. It is only because I am playing a game do I see the problem.

Anyway I am still with them, they are dragging their heals and making it a long drawn out process, you can't phone them up because they don't like talking to people anymore and they haven't responded to my last online query for 4 days now....

I've just spent 2 weeks without a net connection and, whilst it does appear to have been the line (i.e. BT) and not plusnet themselves, they were fucking useless. The online help is a joke and when i finally managed to work out what combination of options on their call queue system would actually get me through to a human they quoted a wait time of over an hour! (actually took 20mins, thank god I was at work and could stick it on speakerphone while I waitied) :flame:

Long story short - I'm looking for a new ISP too :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom