Realm War Pages

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Everyone seems to have forgotten about them?

Today is already November and it was originally promised in the end of september and delayed with no ETA.

I think we need to remind GoA that we still want them along with the server status page.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I have not forgotten them. However I have also remembered GOA's woeful performance with DaoC and the roll of honour. Make plans to move to the US or just plain cancel your subs. Write to Mythic as they are more likely to do something that GOA.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Everyone seems to have forgotten about them?

Today is already November and it was originally promised in the end of september and delayed with no ETA.

I think we need to remind GoA that we still want them along with the server status page.

It is pretty dire, I was one of the "give them a chance crowd" but tbh they still have a hell of a long way to go before they even get close to what was promised.

Its not something I really care much about but I still feel it should be in place, I honestly now feel its the new XML in that it will turn into months then years and still never appear/work.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
still wonder why Goa was choosen to host War, they have improved in many ways since Daoc, but still miles from the finish line....

i cant even play the game for more than 10 mins before crashing atm

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
Crashes are Mythics fault not GOA's but yeah the website has always been a joke as we have told them many times both before and after release but aparently they know best and flash is awesome.

There did seem to be rumblings recently that the website was getting changed to html but it's all gone quiet again on that front, maybe we are to blame for the delay by getting them to do a complete rewrite of their website hence delaying the flash implementation of the realm war. If thats so it's hopefully all worth it in the end but as with all things GOA we just need to be incredibly patient.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
well for all i know it could be goa's transforming to Eu servers,

and we are not to blame... the flash webby have been an issue since early Daoc...

Light

Loyal Freddie
Same old GOA crap, I quit. Did see it coming. oh well.

C'est la vie

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
Got a bit bored of being told 'later this week', gave up on them and just glad the game works.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
No one's really expecting anything to change any time soon, the herald updates seem to happen infrequently.

If you want up to date game information just use Mythics site, I only use the GoA site for their slightly dodgy account management system.

I'm wondering if anyone's interested in making a few bets on how many months it'll be before EU server transfers are available?

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Few have forgotten, but nobody can seem to do anything in the company of GOA. So it is more a matter of not believing they are competent enough to make the page, and slipping into apathy.

We have only one course of action, to not play the game to make sure GOA doesn't get money.
Unfortunately - I enjoy the game, and my friends play EU - so ...... that's not really an option.

It is good to be second rate customer, so while "Equal doesn't mean identical" it is been defined to not meaning equal either.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I must admit I'm curious to see the realm war pages and perhaps slightly curious as to the reasons for the delay. Not overly concerned, it really doesn't affect my game-playing experience.

My guess is that the code to pull the info out of the game database servers is the same as Mythic use but it needs to be integrated with GOA's website. This seems to be a recurring area of weakness in their company so the integration work is most likely where the delays are occuring.

Generally though, the things I care about being fixed are to be handled by Mythic, not GOA. The service is now generally stable, I don't really have many problems at the client end at the moment. Occasional issues, no great calamaties.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
i doubt its much more than adding the addresses of the eu servers into the realwar script once its running, i'd imagine its not that much harder than setting up a forum on a website.
so i'd love to know why its taking so long, i'd laugh if we finally got it and it had been converted to flash

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I'd rather they spent 6 months taking all the flash shit out of their god-awful website THEN did the realm war pages than add flash versions of war pages in with some XML on the side.

You know it'll look pretty, run like shit and break every month.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
Well if i had to choose which one was more secure then id guess i would want it not to be OS.

Either way the site breaks so many laws and they have been notified properly.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
which ones?

:m00:

It breaks each Disibility Discrimination Act of every country and it doesn't follow the W3C standards.

What is it Question Time?

Webscripts made by other people may contain security flaws, hence why they update and them all the time.

Look at phpRaid, eqDKP, SMF, phpBB for what i mean.

Apache or IIS?

You can't really quote these as being Open Source, they are but they're made and developed by organisations and companies not by individuals like the scripts GOA are using. Not really a comparison tbh.

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Because using closed source software is a guarantee for information security...
*sigh*

Did i say that? No!

You don't have any guarantee but when the shit hits the fan its GOA's fault with their own software, but using Open Source scripts and something goes wrong it's still GOA's fault, but when it comes down to what went wrong claiming it was OS just won't cut it.

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
Made a thread identical to this a few weeks ago, Sadly nothing has changed, tho we had been told it would.... :twak:

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
You can't really quote these as being Open Source, they are but they're made and developed by organisations and companies not by individuals like the scripts GOA are using. Not really a comparison tbh.

Uhmmmm
The fact that the Apache foundation is an organisation doesn't mean their software isn't open source.
And I'm not quoting Microsoft's IIS as open source, it's closed source.

The point is that the open source Apache has a better track history for security than IIS.

Being closed source doesn't mean better security...
Unless you count security through obscurity ;)

How long did Interbase have the backdoor that allowed root access to the box available?
Years iirc
How long did that security flaw last once IB was donated to the OS community?
A few months ;)

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
The realm war pages have been built, and just awaiting testing/implementation in the next couple of weeks.

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
I don't see any problem with them using open source scripts. They are usually very good.

But it would be nice to have realm war page, characters transfer and a test server before this year ends.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
The realm war pages have been built, and just awaiting testing/implementation in the next couple of weeks.

nice to hear that some progress is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom