Realm Balancing

O

old.Darkan

People are always ranting about 'the hive' that is Albion. I play here, and yes there are a lot of people. It's the most popular realm. Many people think RvR is not great anymore, Albion being too numerous.

what could we do about this? Could we petition GOA to allow us to apply to switch realms?

For example :

I have Eastern Promise - lvl 41.5 Minstrel, could he simply be switched to a bard in Hibernia (along with all my other charcters) and be given points to spend in my lvls?

Then for my paladin, I'd go for a champion, and my friar, hmm, well not sure here, and then an Eldritch to replace my wizard.

The only problem is, how do you decide who is allowed to move? You can't have everyone clamber to change realm. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

O

old.Whut

Originally posted by Darkan
People are always ranting about 'the hive' that is Albion. I play here, and yes there are a lot of people. It's the most popular realm. Many people think RvR is not great anymore, Albion being too numerous.

what could we do about this? Could we petition GOA to allow us to apply to switch realms?

Someone on a board I was reading somewhere, suggested a server population cap of about 37.5% max per Realm of server population, at time of character creation. I think it is the only fair way to go really, and is probably roughly about right (I think I might favour about 35% myself, but it would be worth trying at both for fine tuning perhaps). It would guarantee 2 strong Realms, and the 3rd needn't necessarily be over handicapped by that either (guaranteeing at least 25% of the server population seems reasonable to the least supported realm, and not too disadvantageous {sp?} compared to what can happen now).

With established servers it would take a little longer to acquire that balance, but it would get there in the end. If someone particularly wanted to play a specific Realm on a specific server, a little patience would see them able to get logged in at some point too, if it happened to be over subscribed initially.

It wouldn't be something that was difficult to implement, and as I think the writer said, though a little rough and ready, would be close enough to probably work out ok.

PS I deleted mine. Starting again in a fresh realm is ok from lvl 1, and is quite handy for finding your way around, if nothing else. You also get to meet people along the way as you level, and build up new friendships. It has in fact been much better than I expected, and though I am hardly interested in powerlevelling, the fact you have done it before makes things a lot more enjoyable in many repsects. Compared to Alb/Excaliber, Mid/Prydwen seems very quiet and relaxed place, and is a very, very nice place to play. The level of friendliness and how helpful people are, is a big helping in making things enjoyable too.

O

old.Prof

yer mates play realm X on server Y and convince you to buy DAoC and go play together with em

you log in on realm X on server Y and get the message "Unfortunatly this realm hit the player limit please log in later or try a different realm"

TBH I think the vast majority of the players don't have the "little patience" to wait around till they can play the char on the realm of their choice and on peek hour they possibly could have to wait quite a while ...

In fact I believe there are already systems like that in function, I remember when for the first time one realm conquered all keeps/relics (Midgard back in like november) Mythic announced the numbers of their guards were dropped drastically intentionally.

O

old.Cru

Originally posted by Prof
yer mates play realm X on server Y and convince you to buy DAoC and go play together with em

you log in on realm X on server Y and get the message "Unfortunatly this realm hit the player limit please log in later or try a different realm"

TBH I think the vast majority of the players don't have the "little patience" to wait around till they can play the char on the realm of their choice and on peek hour they possibly could have to wait quite a while ...

In fact I believe there are already systems like that in function, I remember when for the first time one realm conquered all keeps/relics (Midgard back in like november) Mythic announced the numbers of their guards were dropped drastically intentionally.

That would bite lol

O

old.Atrophy

What if ? bahhhhh sod it action speaks louder than words and pipe smoke, just deleted my alb acount moved to midy see you all in rvr in few weaks.

Aberthol Mcnoheal -- Rhombos emrys

Look forward to seeing my old guild in rvr, though just coz i know them they wont get a free ride. Also if i hear 1 yell of dont kill hibs there our alies then pah I will just have to shoot them faster.

O

old.Organ-Grinder

i think in time ALL realms/servers will even out . wether it be people about to buy the game and find forums to learn of the game before they buy it "thus seeign hibs constant moaning of alb excal folks :) .. or they got bored of being in the dominant realm and switch . excaliber is quiet an even realm atm .. alb may have the numbers but hib/mid seem have the lvls . relic/keep status of that shows for itself . if alb by far dominated the server dont you think we would have all relics and by far largest number of keeps?

O

old.Prof

Well it turned out to be an issue on the USA servers ...

Apparently ppl flock to winning realms, with the result that on servers were one realm dominated, usually thx to an advantage in numbers and always being either Albion or Midgard, the winning realm got bigger and bigger and the situation for the other realms more and more hopeless.

Prime example is the Lancelot server were Albion dominates and Hibernia is in a hopeless situation. With Darkness Falls only open to the realm that controls most keeps this had the result that Albion has constant acces and the poor Hibbies almost never get in. As Darkness Falls yields the best loot and the fastest xp you can see why there is a problem. No prob for us as we won't see DF for another few months :rolleyes:

The best way atm to counter this is crossteaming which happens a lot (also on Excalibur).

O

old.Whut

Originally posted by Prof

Prof I don't think the idea was to ahve a "live" numbers balance, just on account creation. Once you had your Realm characters set up, then that would be that. The law of averages should say that there will be an approx. balance in all the Realms of numbers logged in, after that point. So it wouldn't really be an issue.

What it would (I think) do is prevent the bandwagon jumpers that mess the game up. Most people probably couldn't care less what Realm they play in? Yes it is nice to play with friends, but friends together is no problem whatever Realm happens to have slots free. It isn't as if 1,000 friends will want to join one Realm at the same time . . :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom