Realm abilitie review!!! info

kain

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.camelotherald.com/newfrontiers/realmabilities/

It has become apparent over the last year or so since Realm Abilities debuted in Dark Age of Camelot that the system is not as balanced and worthwhile as it could be. Many classes feel they must purchase certain Realm Abilities just to be viable in RvR, while other classes have many RAs to choose from, all of which add utility to their characters. This has caused a situation where some classes all purchase the same RAs while others have a legitimate choice. Added to that, some RAs are simply more powerful than others, while others are not used at all. This is not the dynamic we hoped to create when designing the Realm Ability system.

Because of these reasons, New Frontiers will feature a Realm Ability system overhaul. We are going back to basics and completely redesigning the system from the ground up to be more equitable and make more sense. This is not a small change - in fact, in many ways it is the largest change we will be making in New Frontiers, as it is the one that personally affects everyone who engages in RvR. We are highly aware that making a system such as this balanced and fair does not necessarily mean that everyone will be happy with it in the short term. However, the goal of this change is to make players happier than they are now in the long term, because the system is better designed, better implemented, and more fun for everyone by changing their character's abilities.

Since this system will have to be extensively tested and commented on by the community, we will be making available as much information about the change as possible before the New Frontiers beta test program begins. As always, please give us your thoughts on this or any other New Frontiers issue via the Camelot Herald feedback page - the category to select is "RVR Expansion."

Remember, all of this information is subject to change throughout this design and development process.

Basic RA System Changes
Here is a list of basic information about our design direction with the revamp of the RA system. We will be publishing specific information about these changes over the next few weeks and months, including a complete list of all abilities, point costs, and allowable classes.
Standardization of RP Costs. Each RA will fall into one of two categories: RAs with five levels and RAs with three levels. We'll publish the list of abilities and costs in the near future.

Each RA is being analyzed for usefulness. Some that are deemed not useful will be cut entirely.

"Free" Class Special RAs. Instead of the very powerful ten and fourteen point class specific RAs of the old system, the new system will grant each class a free RA at Realm Rank 5. Most of these will be on a ten or fifteen minute timer based on power.

"Free" Abilities based on player level or spec level. Additionally, some classes will receive what were former RAs that are deemed to be essential to their nature automatically as they reach certain levels and spec levels. We will publish a full list of these along with the other specific Realm Ability changes in a few weeks.

Rebalance of Power and Timers. No RA will have a timer longer then 20 minutes, and in most cases, timers will be in the 5-15 minute range. With the reduction in reuse time will come a commensurate reduction in power. Additionally, RAs that were far too potent will be toned down while RAs that are unused will be eliminated or made more effective.

Scaling Return. The new system will have a much better scaling of return for the purchase of higher tier RAs. There will still be a very pronounced scale, where purchasing level one of an RA will provide a better return on investment than purchasing level two but the scaling is designed to encourage players to spec higher in specific RAs, allowing for more diversity in RA templates.

Homogenization of Class RAs. The RAs previously known as "Class Special RAs" will now be available to classes in other Realms that share the same archetype. For example, Druids, Healers, and Clerics (all sharing the healer archetype) will each be able to purchase Bunker of Faith.

Because this is an entirely new Realm Ability system, all characters will start Frontiers with all their RA points refunded and unspent.

Muhahahaha bye bye alb land

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Homogenization of Class RAs. The RAs previously known as "Class Special RAs" will now be available to classes in other Realms that share the same archetype. For example, Druids, Healers, and Clerics (all sharing the healer archetype) will each be able to purchase Bunker of Faith.

~cries~

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
But should also mean all realms get access to Group Purge :)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Wow - that sounds fecking brilliant!!

I seriously cannot wait for Frontiers - it should revolutionise the game in a good way :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
blimey,

looking forward to this.

fingers crossed it levels the playing field a bit and moves away from everyone having to have the same blanket spread of RA's.

Apathy

Loyal Freddie
I bet the toning down of RAs will mean that the only Class RA left that will be available for everyone to get will be...Static Tempest.

a.

kain

Fledgling Freddie
and odds are from what i read crud like static tempest is going to be deleted and replaced... /dance /dance... lookie at the thane go

looks like i'm off to get rr 5, shouldn't take more than a few years with little kain.

I'll make the "Thane LFG" beg macros now

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Whee. SoS for skalds.
"Free" Abilities based on player level or spec level. Additionally, some classes will receive what were former RAs that are deemed to be essential to their nature automatically as they reach certain levels and spec levels. We will publish a full list of these along with the other specific Realm Ability changes in a few weeks.

Will Volley and Longshot finally be 'free' for people spec'ing in Bowskills?

Almost a shame Volley is getting nerfed in Frontiers as well.

But, all in all, this is looking very promising!

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
The RA changes will be a major blow to mid & hib community. Thay will can't continue whining about SoS and BoF :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Sounds pretty good.
Specially this one....

"Free" Abilities based on player level or spec level.

So Thanes get free:
Mastery of Pain 2
Mastery of Blocking 2
Aug Dex 2
Aug Con 2
Toughness 2
Avoidance of Magic 2
MCL
Ignore pain

In order to compete.......

Sounds alright to me

:)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Only time a thane is gimped is when played poorly or in a RvR group, thanes are awesome solo. But hopefully we will get a few decent group RA's so we will actually get some rvr groups when this comes.

Umilard

Loyal Freddie
Once again they will make midgard insanely overpowered, and then they will nerf midgard slowly down to alb and hiblevel ;)

Hooray!

kain

Fledgling Freddie
Ballance at last (well kinder)...

but I think the FoTM savage/healer group is gona get very nasty soon as all healers get BoF... which will result in a painful nerf to the whole realm...again

Apathy

Loyal Freddie
So it might be possible to get SOS, BOF, BAOD, GP, FH, PR and so on all on one char and all on <20min timers...woo!

a.

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Apathy said:
So it might be possible to get SOS, BOF, BAOD, GP, FH, PR and so on all on one char and all on <20min timers...woo!

a.
It says open to all realms, not all chars. Bards, Minstrels, Skalds would have SoS. Druids, Clerics and Healers get BoF+GP+PR. Thanes get FH :p

Or whatever they finalise on.

"Free" Abilities based on player level or spec level. Additionally, some classes will receive what were former RAs that are deemed to be essential to their nature automatically as they reach certain levels and spec levels
So Savages get Det5 for free while levelling!!! :m00:

Haruh

Fledgling Freddie
Just because all realms get BoF SoS BAoD GP etc. etc. It doesn't mean they'll work the same way as they did before. They also say that the very good RA's will be toned down. So don't expect getting the fotm RA's the way they are now.

Stallion

Can't get enough of FH
and then albs will realize its not about the RAs but about the players.. /quit :cheers:

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Well, if GP stays in the game, that's the death of CC (I mean, worse than it already is).

Would be nice if they handed out a level of Majestic Will for free... and MCL.

Vae

Resident Freddy
I don't have a problem with the RA's e.g. Bof being open to each realm, except that at the moment Alb is balanced against Mid/Hib because it has a bit better RA's to make up for the weaker classes e.g. compare Clerics to Healers and Druids if they all have access to the same RA's and it's obvious that Druids and Healers are vastly superior.

Unless they are planning to rebalance the classes to take account of these RA changes at the same time there will be yet another period of vastly overpowered combinations and yet again I don't think it'll be Alb with them :(

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Vae said:
I don't have a problem with the RA's e.g. Bof being open to each realm, except that at the moment Alb is balanced against Mid/Hib because it has a bit better RA's to make up for the weaker classes e.g. compare Clerics to Healers and Druids if they all have access to the same RA's and it's obvious that Druids and Healers are vastly superior.

Unless they are planning to rebalance the classes to take account of these RA changes at the same time there will be yet another period of vastly overpowered combinations and yet again I don't think it'll be Alb with them :(

what i see clerics whine because they dont have escape tools, true?
what kind escape tools aug/mend healer have?
what make healer superior comparing cleric?

like some allready write, bof only works against melee dmg and sos allow you to move, what overpowered there is if mids get these?
get mages on group against bof, and moving mids :) what harm they do

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
There seems to be one thing you are all forgetting in your discussions of SoS, GP, BoF, BOAD etc etc....

They said that they are redesigning the abilities themselves, as well as expanding their availability. We have yet to see what these new abilities and everyone is just jumping to conclusions.

As always, it's a case of wait and see.

Looks good though

PS: Infils with Viper \o/

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
I never thought i would say this.. I LOVE YOU MYTHIC!

The time of Daoc is looking as bright as when it first came, it is reborn :D cant wait !

Glottis

Fledgling Freddie
Tuppe said:
what i see clerics whine because they dont have escape tools, true?
what kind escape tools aug/mend healer have?
what make healer superior comparing cleric?

like some allready write, bof only works against melee dmg and sos allow you to move, what overpowered there is if mids get these?
get mages on group against bof, and moving mids :) what harm they do

Well, the fact that bof evened the playing field for a fga against a fgm.
With mids also having bof, it gives the advantage back to the fgm.

But we will see how it all works out.
Shame Mythic gave up on trying to balance the RA's, and will even them this way. But before they do that, they should have evened the realms.
Regards, Glottis

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Loxleyhood said:
I look forward to Purge being nerfed with a huge wooden cock.

So delicately put... lol !
Any reason for it being wooden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom