Real live newbie.

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
That would be me ;)

I've been playing EverQuest for the last 2. years and as much as I've loved it, I'm getting quite bored of it now. Hence, here I am with my annoying newbie questions...

1. Seems a silly question, but is there any point in starting up on DAoC?
You see, if a friend was interested in starting EQ I'd probably advise them against it since its mostly high level play now, low level XP groups are rare, so if you cant solo you can't get XP. And if you cant get XP, you cant get to the higher levels to start having fun.
Does DAoC suffer from a similar problem?

2. I was thinking about playing a Scout (I fancy playing Albion and I played a Ranger in EQ). Would it be possible to level a scout quickly solo? or would I be better off with a Necro or something famed for solo abilities?

3. If anyone here has played EQ, could they make a comparison for me? Especially interested in a comparison of timesinks....
I dont really want to start another game that going to take over all my free time and become like a job to me :(

Please, ease my worried mind!

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Yes it is late but not too late

You will probably need two accounts for some toons (scout etc) as Buffbots are rife

A necro is great for PL pve but bad in rvr - this may chnage however; still its worth it to PL your <insert class here>

check this forum - there are lots of advice posts here :cheers:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
1: there is still some low level activity, but mostly high level stuff, however (in answer to your 2nd part too :D ) albion has the highest population on both servers, so groups should be easier there.

2: scouts are soloable, especially if you start from scratch you can do kill tasks easily until level 20 (just find a guard and say "task" to him) and after that theres occasionally groups around

3: DAoC will take a hell of a long time to get you up at a competetive level, especially now with ToA here, ML's and Artifacts will require a long time to level but as you are starting a new character you can level it while exploring new things i suppose :)
yet it will take a long time for you to get to 50, get artifacts, get SC'd, get ML's (ML's arent really neccesary but nice, ive managed fine without them so far :p )

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Getting to level 20 will be the loneliest because most people have a level 50 character and can roll new characters at level 20 instead of 1. Best just to roll in the Shrouded Isle main city (Aegirhamn/Avalon/whatever) where there will likely be a wealth of crafters who would probably be willing to craft low level stuff for free. I know I would but if you insist on being a smelly Alb then it's tough. A few gold would probably not be much hassle to most people. Just explain that you really are new and don't beg :) Roleplay your request for a better response.

Compared to EQ getting to level 50 is a breeze really. Especially if you get two accounts.

Also, if you do go Alb and want to get characters to 50 quickly then do get a Necro. They ARE boring but you'll get there in about a tenth of the time it would take a scout :) You can then use the Necro to PL whatever character you like.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
:) now it is obvious that albs, mids and hibs do not like eachother, I have no idea how it goes in EQ, but allow me to start my response with this
<bashes Wij's head in with a large rock for calling albs smelly>
Now... as an alb I can only tell you what's going on in Albion :D
XP groups are indeed much harder to find then, say 2 years ago. I'm currently trying to lvl an Infi and my brother a scout, which I would never think of doing if I didnt have my 50 buffbot with me. But when you are new to daoc xping, visitting new and unseen spots, dungeons etc can be exciting, because it's all new. Every new lvl will be something to look forward to, new abilities, higher mobs you can handle... and this will make the process of lvling much less painful ;) As for finding groups, in albion, from lvl 20 on there's still some nice groups to find (you can do killtasks up until 20 anyway). A scout isnt allways wanted in groups though. I can tell you, they are one of the hardest classes to lvl in Albion... but so nice to have in rvr.
If you really like playing the class, then go for it mate ;)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
You will find leveling in DAoC a LOT faster than in EQ, less downtime easier to solo groups able to pull more mobs etc. If you want some nice solo classes that you can relate to EQ paladins are nice, and if you get sick of soloing you can always find a group easy, friars are good solo as well though not looked very highly upon in RvR so i understand. Necros are the pve gods though, nothing like EQ necros though except for maybe the fact they both have pets, no fear kiting here \o/

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.
My current plan is to mess around with different characters for a week or so on the downloaded, free trial week client while I wait for the full game to arrive on my doorstep (yeah,I'm Mr Impatient).
Then I'm going to take your advice and bore my arse off with a necro, then start up a second account with a scout.

Are Friars any good as buff bots? Thought about going Necro on 1st account, scout on 2nd, friar on 2nd, infil on 1st. (so a buffer on each account to help pl my less fortunate characters). That sensible?
I desperatly want to get into RvR and be useful in it :)

So if you see Kadaar on Bors, give him a wave! Or a kick up the arse and point him in the right direction :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with most of the stuff said, but getting arts to stay competive isn't "YOU HAVE TO" or your will die every fight tho.

I've been running around odins and emain on excal solo alot lately in just a SI suit with a few rogs, doing well for a low rr scout imo, its just peoples attitude towards ToA that makes people think they need it, tho yes you'll come up again people with 10% extra this or that and you'll be eating dirt, but you can pick your fights against him or her passing etc. Can't comment on ML's as a scout yet as I've not gained Zepher the main ML for archers.

Your in almost the same situaction as if someone starting out on another server new etc, best way to get along is asking about newbie friendly guilds, make some friends, etc maybe have some crafters, can get some ok stuff to exp in etc :)

PvE can be a slow process, tho can go faster if your with friends alot along the journey. :)

I'd say it wasn't just rogues that need a 2nd account these days, most have even if their playing very good PvE classes such as a pally or necro etc :)

I'd recomend you find a class you love, and only focus on him/her until you've reached 50, then you've the /level 20 command to try out new alts etc :)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Kadaar said:
Are Friars any good as buff bots? Thought about going Necro on 1st account, scout on 2nd, friar on 2nd, infil on 1st. (so a buffer on each account to help pl my less fortunate characters). That sensible?

Friars arent very good BB's as they only get baseline buffs where as clerics get baseline, spec, extra af (nerf :p) and that health regen thingy.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Kadaar said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.
My current plan is to mess around with different characters for a week or so on the downloaded, free trial week client while I wait for the full game to arrive on my doorstep (yeah,I'm Mr Impatient).
Then I'm going to take your advice and bore my arse off with a necro, then start up a second account with a scout.

So if you see Kadaar on Bors, give him a wave! Or a kick up the arse and point him in the right direction :)

The friar self buffs can be compareable to a buffbots, but theres no str/con buff as you'll find on a cleric, friars are ok soloers, and don't require a buffbot to get along in PvE :)

Drummer

Fledgling Freddie
If u want a REAL BB take a cleric :)

oh and ask frienly theurgs and wizards passing by for a haste/dmg add. When I was lvl5ish I'd have done anything for it =)

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, I'll have another think about the second buffbot but it seems like a goodish plan to get places fairly quickly.
Cant wait to get home and have another play though. Its just what I need, EQ was beginnign to get more and more like a job :/

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Acc1 - Level Necro (almost like PL in itself)
Acc2 - PL Scout with necro
Acc1 - Level Cleric with Scout from Acc 2 or level another necro and PL cleric on Acc 1

Acc 2 PL Inf with Necro

Then you have an inf and scout with a BB and PL toon on Acc 1

Any better ideas (other than buy a BB on Ebay - which seems to be generally acceptable, other than breaking CoC)

See ya in about 6 months :clap:

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
6 months? :(
Then again it took me 2.5 yers to hit 65 in EQ...

Jebelious

Fledgling Freddie
best thing to do really is get a few friends to start with ya and get to 20 asap then u should get a better chance of getting a grp. ive found its good to have teamspeak running got a few ppl who join in on it in my guild and it a laugh

Bunnytwo

Fledgling Freddie
Scouts are a bit of a pain to lvl, though they have the advantage that you can get away without MLs a lot more than many classes, also looks like theyre going to kick arse in NF.

Would advise getting into a decent friendly guild. Supremacy are recruiting atm and have a number of people with chars below 20 that they are lvlling the old fashioned way, just do /who supremacy and PM one of em. (nice bunch too <plug> :cheers: ).

Quite often as well in a decent guild you can find someone who is farming, and who will let you leech up the levels (tad dull but gets you to 50 quickly and lot less dull than soloing most of the way). They can also kit you out with half decent equip and cash to help you on your way.

Good luck.

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, now to find a guild without looking like a begging n00b...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Kadaar said:
Heh, now to find a guild without looking like a begging n00b...

well, Supremacy pretty much invited u to their guild so id say that part is taken care off :)

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
And that's very nice of them but I dont knwo what server they're on or what realm...
Im also guessing they're a US based guild on a US server? Whereas I'll be on a euro server :/

But we shall see, when the damn box arrives! :)

Zrall

Loyal Freddie
these are atleast afaik eurogame boards.. though it seems that once in a while some americanos come n write abit here too (well we have some guilds over here that can kick some serious butt :clap: )

just a little tool u might wanna use to look at guilds and chars etc.

http://www.duskwave.com/daoc
http://daoc-stats.com/

both are good i think its up to preferance what site ppl use and can tell u after a quick search on duskwave that Supermacy is an alb/prydwen guild ;)

and some good info on kill tasks too, and yes they are very good to do on ur way to lvl 20

taken from: http://camelot.allakhazam.com/guides/Hero_guide_v.2.0.html#_Toc18518975

After lvl 2 you can help exping with doing kill tasks. You get the same number of kill tasks as your level and these earn you money and about 50% of the exp needed for a lvl + the exp from killing the mob. You get kill tasks from named guards around the towns. Select a guard and type "/say task" and he can give you a task to kill a certain mob near the town. He will indicate in which direction you should seek the mob. This direction is often not the closest mobs and it helps a lot to have Kirstena's maps printed to find the mobs quickly!

Not all guards give you kill tasks every lvl and noone will give you a task after lvl 20. If you got a kill task from a guard then you can visit the same guard in 4 lvls again as they cycle ( see the table below). You have to experiment on where in the cycle you are as this is random. If you find out that you are in cycle 3 when you are lvl 6, then you can visit a guard in the cycle 3 column on lvl 6, 10, 14, 18. Visit guards in the cycle 4 column on lvls 7,11,15 and 19.

and btw if upress the link it shows info on hibby hero class so that aint too much of good for u, but u might wanna take a look here for some guides etc for albion classes: http://camelot.allakhazam.com/class.html?realm=Albion

have fun :p

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
Brilliant info, thanks for the help.
Didnt realise these were euro boards.... told you I was new :)

And on the plus side, I already have an allas premium account from, too much EQ ;)

Oh and while Im at it, another question:
Is it better to start on Excalibur, which seems to have a higher population; or on Prydwen?
The info I can find recommends starting on teh smaller server as it will be the one thats growing faster, but I dont hte DAoc is growing very fast at the moment anyway is it? In my 2 hours of play so far (wow!) Ive not seen another soul :/

Funkybunny

Banned
well.. my impression is...

excal = for the elite player... UBAH players play here...
prydwen = for the fun player...

ofc.. this isnt a total truth.. but it is a majority that means that... and if its not to l8 to change class.. i would recommend hibernia.. then you dont have to worry about smelly half-ogre's.. they really DO stink.. ;)

Zrall

Loyal Freddie
well for alb i dunno but if i were to start a new char atleast from what i have seen mid/pryd atlleast dont have too many low lvls though hib/excal have lots... but then again rather think about end game which prolly will be rvr for ya :) excal is indeed very harder to play and a good place to start imo is prydwen also imo atleast one of the top 3 alb guilds play there so albs aint really as much wanky as they are some places (zerg4tw) and yes u can prolly guess what guild i refer to here if u know of top rvr guilds on prydwen :D

also it seems that prydwen is less zergy etc.

so atleast my advice is go prydwen.... ull have a lot more fun there as a newcomer to the game.. just get SoM+a good bow on ur scout and u can pwn alotta sbs (see Aolns scout movie, guess some newblar sbs hasnt learned /face commando yet :twak: )

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
Cool, I'll give pryd a go then ;)
But in staying alb ! I really fancy RVR with a scout. Cant wait actually ;)
So thanks for the offer BunnyTwo, sorry I was a bit dense about it... Hopefully I'll see you in there soon!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dommelsch

Fledgling Freddie
Kadaar said:
Cool, I'll give pryd a go then ;)
But in staying alb ! I really fancy RVR with a scout. Cant wait actually ;)
So thanks for the offer BunnyTwo, sorry I was a bit dense about it... Hopefully I'll see you in there soon!

Thanks for all the help guys.

You dó know that Hibernia and Midgard also have some sort of "Scout", called "Ranger" ( Hibernia ) and "Hunter" ( Midgard )

http://daoc.catacombs.com , is also a nice site to check out some spec's for different classes.

Goodluck!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Kadaar said:
And that's very nice of them but I dont knwo what server they're on or what realm...
Im also guessing they're a US based guild on a US server? Whereas I'll be on a euro server :/

But we shall see, when the damn box arrives! :)

these are the euro server boards ;)

i assume supremacy is on alb on prydwen or excal then :p

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Good luck with whatever you plan and play, some points I just want to throw out in the air

Midgard and Hibernian scouts get to spec bow and a weapon...and they get castable spells, check catacombs for more on this... and what does Albions scout get ? the ability to spec bow and weapon.. but no spells, just shield, only use here is to play a blocker within a group, or take shield spec to 42 which lets you perform a 9 second stun, usefull to start shooting again, generaly in my opinion (and that of some others) Albion's ranger is the worst of all 3 realms, personaly if I was starting from scratch and didnt care which realm then a Hunter in mid would i feel be the best.

As mentioned in order to play a scout in the "end game" of RvR you will probably need to solo or be part of a stealth group - either way a buffbot will almost certainly be needed.. either (cough) found off ebay (cough) or spend more time leveling another L50 account with an enhance cleric

EQ2 is out in 6 months (ish) hehe

Kawaii

Fledgling Freddie
You're sending a new player to Albion :eek7:
And then you're getting him to play a scout :p

You sure are trying to get all the cute lil' kittens killed today ^^

I haven't kept up with the latest patches, but when i left scouts were considered the definition of gimped, I'm aware that scouts can be fun to play as I knew alot of players that played them, but if you want 1 good advice about DAoC it's: If you're not FoTM, you're out ;o

Pick something you can enjoy doing the whole SC,ML mik-mak with, not something you'll regret making and ending up making another toon ;x

Kadaar

Fledgling Freddie
A big thank you to Bunnytwo for putting up with my newness and setting me on the right track on my first day's play!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom