re-installing car radios

X

xane

My car radio is smegged, but I suspect it may just be a loose cable, I'd like to remove and replace it to find out.

Problem is, my initial probing discovered that nothing short of dismantling the entire dashboard plastic thingy will get me access to it, someone told me that you need a special tool that unlocks the radio allowing it to simply slide out, this is done as an anti-theft measure, is this true ?

Anyone who knows about these things please advise, car is a 1994 (?) Vauxhall Corsa 5-door, the radio is actually connected to a display thingy on top of the dashboard (which also displays time and temperature).

L

LTF

Do you have a small frame that sits round the head unit?

Usually this unclips, you have two slots that you need to slide the keys into, i lost the keys to mine and four nails worked fine :D

L

L_Plates

if you do replace it beware you will more than likely loose the display i did :(

Looked st00pid after ... should of realized before i did it. You may get radios now that compensate this but it was about 5 year ago that i made the mistake ;)

S

Summo

Yup. I just had a new one fitted by a professional and I watched what he was up to (damage my car, you bastard, and I'll have your fucking scrote hanging from my mirror). He had two keys which slide into slots either side of the head unit, clip in place and allow the whole thing to be pulled out in one neat move.

I reckon four nails, as d0nk3h says, would to the job, though it'd obviously be a lot more fiddly.

B

bodhi

I dont drive a Vectra thank god.

The tools for mine are weird, they're like jagged and stuff (It's a Kenwood Mask so it prolly helps the security thing).

F

FunGas

Does it have little holes on each side at the front?

If it does you need a special tool or a bit of bent wire/coathanger

These things can be pretty intolerant tho (make it the right size wire)

You need to poke a stiff wire or long matches down the holes about 2 inches and the whole thing should lift out

X

xane

chances are you need to use some stereo removal prongs (for want of the proper description).
You can either buy these at just about and car audio place or somewhere like halfords etc, or you can do what i do and make them up out of an old wire coathanger.

If you make them up you will basically be making 2 'U' shapes. Each leg should be about 3 inches long. Once you have made them up, insert the legs into the holes where the allan screws were and you should be able to remove the stereo easily.

Bah, I just had a go at this and no joy, the thing doesn't want to budge, looks like I'll have to find some place to buy the "prongs" with appropriate instructions.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread