rant..

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
Im sorry folks but im gonna have a bit of a rent to vent a bit of frustration so here goes.

iv been playing daoc since just after release, the first year was GREAT, got great pve groups we all died a lot had a good laugh etc (hit level 50 after realise i didnt like classes etc and rerolling etc etc)
I take my 50 friar to rvr great fun.. annoying that everyones grouped and i like to solo but what the hey with the zergs of 80 odd people all the time i could blend in and get my few rp's everyones happy.

then a long comes SI and the dreaded necro which is what started all this crap imo, dunno when si came out what is it 3 years ago or something? longer? no idea, aaanyway, suddenly the hard core people have a lot more gold than me, ok fair enough, theres not a lot to spend it on let em have it, iv got my sc uber nice gear that i got for like 1p? 2p? for the lot very good

then suddenly somewhere somehow, someone decides ooh i can log on 2 accounts with this necro.. make it servant spec, and voilla i can solo purple stuff nice! everyone yells congratz very good nobody cares.. but then along comes Trials of atlantis, an amazing sounding expansion which we are all looking forward to, my guild of like 20 people at the time are all eagerly awaiting doing our uber new Master levels! how cool, but wait, these Master levels get too hard after master level 1.9 what shal we do! lets log in the necro and "buffbot" it became called.

then all of a sudden people are starting to do their master levels and their new fangled artfiacts on their own! with a buffbot and a necro This cant be allowed surely.. everyone righnows these fools logging in 2 accounts Pah we say it will never be allowed they will be banned once and for all! but no ..the buffbotting is allowed to continue.. suddently all the groups dissapear everyone is doing everything in their own.. but wait? i cant afford/dont want/will not pay for 2 accounts, what am i gonna do?

we all wait for goa to help us out! all us soloers and small guilds what are we going to do mythic we got ML1 and now all is lost.. mythic reply to our horror "sod off buy 2 acc's" WTF! we all say .. we all struggle our way through for a few weeks then most (what felt like most) people decided enough is enough.. and world of warcraft get all the players they didnt get on release..

then along comes new housing WTF 3p or more for my house? how am i gonna get 3p? "buy 2 acc's" says mythic, sod that ill farm for it we say.. i spent a couple of weeks getting every last penny i could.. leaving my template with artifacts out for now i cant afford it im gonna get a house all will be well i can go out and get some stuff to sell on my house all will be well..

then everything starts getting even more expensive suddenly these books that drop from monsters i cant possibly kill are like 10p or more.. OMG i say theres no way i can compete with this! sod it ill go somewhere else..

off to the pvp server i go where its all nice and soloie again lost of random people running around i can kill 2 years ish later im playing on my rr4 champion or my rr8 ranger, that i managed to pvp with, with no artifacts (or the few i could get someone to help me with) all is well, but then people start making big guilds, the few lamers who were around in cots are all together ! now theres more and more, like 5 or 6 big guilds who are unbeatable ! the few who are left soloing give in and get buffbots! but now OMG i cant kill buffbotted people! and yet.. i struggle on on my own, my friands long gone to wow or who have joined the buffbot revolution on excalibur..

so here we are now, just after another expansion (and a VERY solo friendly one i might add) theres nobody left but the very odd soloer, a load of people running around buffboted.. and the big guilds.. iv gone from making almost a whole realm rank each week, to not even killing anyone in a day..

i was just sitting at my log in screen thinking.. why the hell am i still trying.. they obviously dont want soloers on their game.. hell they have people paying for 2 accounts each!

and so.. after an increadably long thread im gonna keep my account till my three months paid runs out.. then im afraid ill be one more soloer who has been left to rot! and left

thanks for reading if you did, goodnight,.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
i think housing was before toa i really cant remember atm iv had a few drinks , reverse that bit if necessary its still the same

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Go classic.

Only 2% of the population use a buffbot. There's no where near the same amount of money bouncing around and finding groups is possible. :drink:

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Erm... fairplay first rant I ever read that accused necro's of ruining the game..

Buffbots were around a long time before necro's as well dude. Havent ever come across a ML where I have seen /bg screaming for a necro n bb to save em either..

Next rant pls about how the new dyes made people look funny colours in rvr and gave people headaches so they had to quit the game..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
wasnt aware that all the public ML raids were for necros and BBs only, i should read the BG rules more clearly. on a serious note, the game has got tougher, but thats progress, the game would have died years ago if it wasnt for new content, i know loads of people who have managed without a BB so not sure what you have to complain about there..

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
I have one account. I not a hardcore gamer. I have a house. I have about 100p across my toons.

I don't have a necro.

Its not THAT hard to make money.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
You dont need 2 accounts to necro farm cash tho, they are a doddle to level in sight spec and can much through instances and other mobs like butter solo.

So your complaint is really that you couldnt find the inclination to make another more profit making toon, you cant find a solo friendly guild, you havnt got to know how public ML raids work, dont know a friendly servant necro or dont know how to ask if they will give you credit and/or allow you to foll for it.

I think the answer for you is glastonbury too, no BBs, no artis, no MLs, plenty of solo play to be had, no just find a decent guild and you got it just how you like it. Oh, and play something people want, Friars like Thanes dont tend to be too welcome in groups.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Sight necro in Barrows Insta thingy that dros Aurulite - without a BB you can easy make over 500g an hour - maybe 1p an hour (can't remember and personally I usually am one of the evul people who does take a BB) noting you have a rr4 and rr8 char - you play a fair bit - take some RvR time out and level a necro and stick to Sight - Servant does really need a BB to be mondo effective, you will make enough cash to make ya life nice n easy. Next patch as well no more expensive scrolls and free arti's with credit so rolling for them isnt even an issue - what more could ya want ?

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
I understand your frustration, but being fair it's not completely granted.
I've been playing 4 years, never having had a buffbot at all.
I'm a rejuv cleric so i can't even solo myself unless it's a blue one or i get lucky on a yellow con! I bought a house together with my partner and did some pve'ing for a few weeks to buy our house + the needed equipment to make it 'our' house.

As for making cash? You've got a few options there, ava city if you can get a group together, instances (yes they do drop good money) if you're solo/grouped, crafting (if you can bare the boreingness (sp?)), the new DF if you can get a group together, barrows i believe is still a good place?, farm some scrolls on mobs you can kill (that's what i do on my cabbie and she's made a fair bit because of that)

I really don't see how you did not manage to get cash at all for either sc or house + arties.
There are loads of options as stated above. Unless you don't want to put any effort in it yourself or stayed the negativity himself you would have made cash one or the other way.

On a side note: it took me 3 years to get my armorcrafter capped out because the crafting did do my head in once and a while and i do like my rvr (which hey actually doesn't do too bad of goldpieces lately either).

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I use to farm scrolls as a dsight necro and make 20p+ a day. Heck, a dsight necro solo can even farm red/purps that drop MT3/3.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
i was very drunk when i wrote that last night :p hehe hence why im only logging on now:p

thanks for the suddgestions, although i do know how to make money, i could if i made a necro or sommet or spent hours farming like youv all suddgested.. but im stubborn.. and in my honest opinion i shouldnt have to farm, or reroll to get enough money to get what are now the basics :p i have done and i have got a house now and i have now got a decent template (cost me a total of like 2p) over a few months, so as youv said its not IMPOSSIBLE to do it solo.. its just so tediuos mind meltingly boring that sometimes i dont know why i bothered, thats all im sayin.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
the point of the thread was to illustrate how iv experienced the last few expansions and its affect on soloers.
many many people i know spent like a year pretty much getting thier first toon to 50, it wasnt a problem at the time because it was so much fun.
but seriously theres no way i would want to make another character just to get money, i dont think i could do it, level 20-30 id be so bored id want to log after every mob.. lol

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
DSight Necro can be leveling to 50 within a week or two's play tbh - just get a good spirit mob guide (there is one on here if you search for it) and you will be surprised how quick they are to level even without a BB..

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
XenX said:
the point of the thread was to illustrate how iv experienced the last few expansions and its affect on soloers.

This isn't and never has been a solo game. I think that's the point your probably missing.
If it's just a commentry rather than a whine then fair enough, but if the game forces you to sometimes group up with other people that's a good thing!

Part of the enjoyment from playing a MMORPG should be meeting people and grouping with them to do things, not just running about solo by yourself all the time. If you don't know people online then the game sucks, yes. But that's more that your trying to make it something it isn't rather than it being poorly designed.

Your problem is that you don't want to roll another class to farm money. Then the simple answer is to make a group to do it. There's plenty of stuff to farm where a friar would fit nicely into a group, but you do need to make the effort to group with people. While some people will just log on their necro and farm stuff when they want it, there's also an aweful lot of people who don't do it like that, and farming items cash isn't nearly so tedious if your not doing it by yourself with no-one to talk to. The number of times i've seen a few tanks and clerics all standing about moaning at each other about how they can't get invited to groups, rather than forming one between them is more than you might actually expect.

XenX said:
we all wait for goa to help us out! all us soloers and small guilds what are we going to do mythic we got ML1 and now all is lost..

Yes all is lost.. all 50 of those soloers standing about with no way to get ML's, Mythic should get a clue and help them. I've heard about a new idea they came up with called an invite button but it never got implemented because there wasn't enough interest. Yeah i'm being rather sarcastic, but posts like this do irk me.. It's like complaiing about exams at school because i'm one of those non-revising types.

Gotmagi

Can't get enough of FH
Been playing daoc for 2,5 years.. all this time I've never had a buffbot. In these 2,5 years I've gained about 9 million+ rpts, have all the stuff I need on my characters and 4 chars that are ml8-10. I've been a part of a rvr guild, and have done a fair amount of soloing and usually manage to have fun.
So u see, it can be done.. u just gotta make friends, if they quit.. make new ones =)

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
i didnt revise for any exams and got 3 A's and aB at A level :D

but aanyway where were all these groups you so readily found? i felt like there were none, maybe u were playin a more grp friendly clas than me,

also it was kind of a whine and a commentary

Haazheel

Fledgling Freddie
Also .. friar is one of the nicest pve machine with ... self buffs ! Trust me you can solo fairly easy and make lot of cash with a friar, and even more by the end of the month with the heal procs.

For cash you got all the suggestions already : DF and dias, instances and aurulite.

And this is a mMorpg also, get some soloers to do something bigger if you want.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Gotmagi said:
Been playing daoc for 2,5 years.. all this time I've never had a buffbot. In these 2,5 years I've gained about 9 million+ rpts, have all the stuff I need on my characters and 4 chars that are ml8-10. I've been a part of a rvr guild, and have done a fair amount of soloing and usually manage to have fun.
So u see, it can be done.. u just gotta make friends, if they quit.. make new ones =)

You make friends in hib even when you play mid :p Funniest shammy ever ;)

More to the point. Some people, me included have gone down the road of 2 accounts, maybe more to make things easier for themselves. Personally I don't find it a problem to pay an extra 10 euros a month to make my gaming experience better and things easier for myself. Then again when people I know ask for my help I have no problem handing it out.

At the end of the day it is a social game, maybe the social aspect of it has changed a bit, but it's still there.

Dimse Dut

Fledgling Freddie
Dear Xenx
I think we have at some point face the fact that our beloved DAoC isnt a spring chicken any longer. We have gone from running in terror from Goblins in Lyonesse and removing our Emblemed cloaks on Relic Raids so we lagged less to Dual logging artifacted templated capped special specced characters and a our own special language that only a DAocer can understand. We have in fact become the OLdies. We are the Cranky old people sitting on the porch complaining that "when we were young times were better". Being "stubborn" as you call it is not much different than a Man who walks 15 Kilometers to go shopping instead of taking the car because thats How they did it in his youth. I respect him but still he has realy no right to complain about other people who choose to take the Car.
I agree that good "oldfashioned" leveling is fun and that the whole Controll freak aspect of the game (Templates, special specs ect) is a drawback. As long as I play I will have my wierdly Sadly un-spellcrafted non capped chars that most probably wont make a Top ten list of any kind unless they make a "Goofiest" player list. But I WILL be there and Ill still keel over laughing when I die to a enemy that simply just played better. In short I will be enjoying the game as I think you should too. Regardless of what the kiddies are doing.

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Just after release ? sounds like you started in toa, or you played a couple of hours a week only.

Necro's weren't the first to power level, nor were they the first ones to kill high purps with focus shield, not at all.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
XenX said:
i didnt revise for any exams and got 3 A's and aB at A level :D

but aanyway where were all these groups you so readily found? i felt like there were none, maybe u were playin a more grp friendly clas than me,

also it was kind of a whine and a commentary
My first toon to 50 was a Thane, probably midgards most group-unfriendly toon, but I stuck with it, got to know a lot of people, got a decent guild, and while in that guild they didnt give a rats arse what toon I took along in PvE or RvR, we just went for fun. He dinged 50 with 3 plat in cash, and back then I too had no BB, I just tagged along with the friends I found through leveling and RvRing and had a laff.

OK, so these days groups are harder to find, but they are still there, your biggest problem is that you refuse to be flexible and roll something else that IS wanted in groups or farm cash. 90% of us use the other 9 character slots for chars that help us get what we need in terms of cash and loot, or better still benefit the realm and groups around us. Seer classes are always wanted, damage dealers a must, but I am sorry to say your toon only offers a little of both, and is only really suited to solo play unless you gimp your mellee skills in favour of healing. But I guess you wont do that either.

It sounds to me like DAoC is the wrong game for you, as the emphasis here is on multiplayer action, perhaps guildwars or even WoW would suit you better, but until you change your class, you will find it hard to make game friends.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
roll a grp friendly char and try farming whit that u gimp. shammy,cleric,druid... whatever... get it some decent enough gear and ur good to go farming. ppl want druids to heal and buff :D

i have 2 accs... but atm playing classic and dont use a second acc... got to 50 less than a week and now sorting out template...yeah i made shaman... easy to get grps and so on. loveing it

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
One of my best levelling experiences was when three of us (friends) rolled a friar, paladin and 2 handed armsman. There's not a lot short of epic mobs such a group can't handle.

Great fun.

Friars get even better in PvE next patch. If you want to get ML's, watch out for public raids, go on them, and if you're missing the group steps, ask on them if others want to do them, there are always some. Or just post a plan to do them on FH. The order you do steps doesn't matter any more (except on ML5). Friars with Heal fonts are wonderful in PvE (And get some +evade % PvE items, and +parry ones, and become better still). A friar with a power font heals much better than a cleric without one, unless really big heals are needed, and lots of PvE stuff needs a friar's resists.

Darzil

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
Soulfly i started my little story thing when SI came out, as thats when necro's came out not with toa..

yeh alot of characters could use buffbots and kill purps with focus shield etc.. but none had the impact on the game like hte necro did, at least i dont think so..

oh iv played WoW for a while. i didnt like it, the armour is not very visible it looks lame, its very cartoon esq i just didnt like it gameplay is good and i really liked the crafting though, just not what i would play all the time.

also i tried guild wars OMG is that game too easy.. i made a lvl 20 character in 3 days, finished everything, i got the best armour possible exept for that reaaly stupidly expensive stuff, but i just didnt like the whole we need 3 healers in the group or were all gonna go afk mentality, i like to try to fight, even if i know theres a 99% chance ill loose, thats prolly why iv stayed on pvp so long even with all the buffbots..

and im gonna go try classic, iv made a new ranger on their, hopefully it will more fun and maybe ill make a new name for myself there, let my guild know today that im leaving pvp, ill log back on now and again but as far as playing, i cant really be bothered with it any more.. lets see how classic goes..

Jeros

Part of the furniture
\o/ Daoc classic with 50% to 75% less grind, now with lemon zest!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
XenX said:
Soulfly i started my little story thing when SI came out, as thats when necro's came out not with toa..

yeh alot of characters could use buffbots and kill purps with focus shield etc.. but none had the impact on the game like hte necro did, at least i dont think so..

Matter caby + BB - not got the melee resistance but still bloody good
Sorc with buffed pets were always great farmers to.

Demon2k3

One of Freddy's beloved
the fact is that i an usual soloer, no one uses the lfg anymore and hence an hard time finding xp/farm groups. When i level my scout is often use /who due to that no one uses the lfg button. many get annoyed due to this. But as a matter of fact it is my only way to find someone to group with.

So start using the lfg and search button people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom