[rant]Credit Card Fraud[/rant]

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
You know those credit card offers that come in the post for Barclaycard, Royal Bank of Scotland, etc? No-one applies for them, do they?

Well, that's what I thought. According to Liverpool Victoria and RBS, some scrote from my old flat (which I haven't been living at for 3 years now) has applied for credit in my name. Twice.

Because of this, I've now been registered with CIFAS (UK Fraud Prevention people), which is fucking annoying. It now takes up to six times as long to get a new credit card so I can shift my debt around. Thankfully, noone has actually managed a successful fraud yet, but I'm just waiting for the phone call...

Why the Christ in Hell do they even open the envelope? I mean, it's not addressed to them, it's not even like they thought, "Oh, I should return this to the sender with a label telling them they don't live here anymore".

I'm just amazed that they thought they'd get away with it, I suppose. I've got a good mind to take the sword off my wall, sharpen it and make sure they get the "point".

Fuckers.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I have a good mind to get my gun that i just handily have sitting here, and post about it on a forum. Then they would get the "Erm..hmm"

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'm confused.

So someone uses your name, but a different address, and how does this trace back to _you_ if you are no longer linked with that address ? Why not some other poor sod with the same name as you living somewhere else, why _you_ specifically ?

Are you still using that address for something ? In fact most CC agencies use the address more than the name for checking, as potential fraudsters are highly unlikely to use their own name or one they've used for fraud in the past.

You can inherit a bad credit record simply by moving into the wrong address, one previously used by a fraudster, are you sure this is not what has actually happened.

You normally need some form of cross reference proof that you live where you say you do, how is the "scrote" getting this ?

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
I'm confused.

So someone uses your name, but a different address, and how does this trace back to _you_ if you are no longer linked with that address ? Why not some other poor sod with the same name as you living somewhere else, why _you_ specifically ?

Are you still using that address for something ? In fact most CC agencies use the address more than the name for checking, as potential fraudsters are highly unlikely to use their own name or one they've used for fraud in the past.

You can inherit a bad credit record simply by moving into the wrong address, one previously used by a fraudster, are you sure this is not what has actually happened.

You normally need some form of cross reference proof that you live where you say you do, how is the "scrote" getting this ?
Junk Mail offering credit cards to me is still being delivered to the old address. I assume that, because I've moved house and had local election cards delivered to me, they look up my actual address on the Electoral Roll to cross-check where I am living at present.

Until just recently, I've had to put the last address on credit applications because I've only owned my new place for two years. I presume that's how they've linked me across addresses.

The potential fraudster is taking the junk mailings, opening them and applying for credit on a form already addresses personally to me. I never had a problem getting credit before the fraudulent applications in my name and subsequent registration with CIFAS (for those interested).

I just have trouble comprehending what makes people think it's a good idea to try stealing someone else's identity.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I am saying the fraudster is using the _address_ not necessarily your name, if you use the same address, and the CC people know that the address is one being used for fraud, what do you think they will do ?

Stop using that address.

BTW I don't think CC application forms actually pre-print your name on them, the covering letter maybe, but not the form. It's been a while as I chuck them without opening now.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
I am saying the fraudster is using the _address_ not necessarily your name, if you use the same address, and the CC people know that the address is one being used for fraud, what do you think they will do ?

Stop using that address.

BTW I don't think CC application forms actually pre-print your name on them, the covering letter maybe, but not the form. It's been a while as I chuck them without opening now.
I don't use that address, I moved out 3 years ago. I believe I've stated and restated that.

I know that the application is in my name because I have had letters addressed to me personally stating this, as well as the telephone conversations with the credit agency confirming it.

As for people not pre-printing forms, I would imagine it makes no difference. All these offers come in envelopes marked "Don't miss out on a really great APR!" or something similar, and are addressed to me on the letter. It wouldn't take much to copy from one to the other. And I shred the ones I do get after I've opened them.

The real question is why the hell people think it would be a good idea to do these things in the first place!

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
How did you find out the scrotes were doing this in the first place? Presumably CIFAS now contact you when someone is applying for credit in your name, but how did you discover this the first time?

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Dr_Weasel said:
How did you find out the scrotes were doing this in the first place? Presumably CIFAS now contact you when someone is applying for credit in your name, but how did you discover this the first time?
The credit provider (Royal Bank of Scotland, the first time) wrote to me at my new address and asked if I had made the application they'd received. I called them and discussed it, and then the address got marked on the CIFAS register.

Registering your address lasts for a year from the latest marking, which is both good and bad - you have some protection against identity fraud, but you also have a longer delay obtaining any type of credit. Any notes against your address delay credit checking whilst they verify you are who you say you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom