Rangers life is a lonely lot.....

A

Alrindel

1) I do carry a small shield, but its only use is against NPC archers in RvR (30% chance to block). Against mobs it's useless.

2) If the group is likely to kick me if a "better" player comes along they shouldn't invite me in the first place. Full stop. That's just stupid and rude.

Rangers are not good tanks by any means, not even as good as Nightshades - who do as much melee damage but make better tanks by being able to evade more than twice as much. If it's a pbaoe group I can get and hold aggro as well or better than most tanks but if I have it for more than four or five hits against a purple mob, the fact that I'm dealing more damage than the hero is kind of irrelevant, because I've still barely scratched the mob, and I'm going down in a hurry. If it's a mezz group, then I shouldn't be meleeing at all, I should be standing with the nukers using /assist on the main tank to fill his target full of arrows.

E

Eleasias

Originally posted by Gorguss

A couple of thing to Rangers:

2. You are a good tank and keep aggro well, but don't get upset becouse the group kicks you when a shield tank comes along(be it Hero,Champ or BM).
WTF? Dont be upset if someone just comes along and you get kicked? That's probably the lamest thing ever

G

gronk

ack have to agree, never heard something that stupid!
don't get upset when the groups kicks u...the person that said that is just plain dumb. u don't just kick someone out just because he ain't a uber tank! what would u say when ur group kicks u out when they see a higher lvled healer/tank/nuker that would fit better in the group than u ?

lame ass :eek:

this thread was quite nice, untill that came up ...

and Tdaer's points are sooooooo true :D

F

Faeldawn

Re: Futher footnote

Originally posted by Novo
Faeldawn mentioned that the www.critshot.com site is a bit outdated.

It certainly doesn't get huge traffic like the vn boards ... but its run and moderated by the people who care - the Ranger, Hunter and Scout Team leads for mythic. If you have a suggestion or a gripe .. post it there as it will get seen by people who can make Mythic aware of it and get it changed...

Anyway as Faeldawn said time to let it slip ....

Was referring to the guides m8, thats all.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by gronk
ack have to agree, never heard something that stupid!
don't get upset when the groups kicks u...the person that said that is just plain dumb. u don't just kick someone out just because he ain't a uber tank! what would u say when ur group kicks u out when they see a higher lvled healer/tank/nuker that would fit better in the group than u ?

lame ass :eek:

this thread was quite nice, untill that came up ...

Who mentioned getting upset?.....Was simply pointing out that this is something that can happen, and is something to be aware of, so as not to be too surprised if it does.

F

Faeldawn

1. Always carry a small shield if your intentions are to group and be a tank.
2. You are a good tank and keep aggro well, but don't get upset becouse the group kicks you when a shield tank comes along(be it Hero,Champ or BM).
3. All tanks can hold aggro at lvl 30+, this really is'nt an issue. If the mobs are hard to keep aggro on then it's mostly due to lvl.
4. Pick targets with your bow so it's easy to know what mob you are going for a 3 killing aoe grp.

Rangers are great players and an ok class :)

Gorguss is simply stating the facts, pls dont have a go coz i know this guy to be a considerate and honourable player.

A

Alrindel

"don't get upset becouse the group kicks you when a shield tank comes along(be it Hero,Champ or BM)" is not a "fact", it's just bad advice.

Here's my advice: if you find yourself in that position, invited to join an exp group and then summarily booted to make room for a "better" character, come here to Barryswhine and let the rest of Hibernia know who did it to you. People that gracious and generous deserve to have their reputations follow them around for as long as they play on this server, so all of Hibernia can reward them for their willingness to help their realmmates.

D

Danya

That is possibly the lamest post I have ever seen on these forums. I am truely awed by the sheer depth of your arrogance and callousness here.

G

gronk

i know that gorguss is honourable and i still think he is, tho if he realy ment to say that he would without a second thought just boot someone out of his group, then thats nothing to do with honour,

anyway lets go on with the origenal thread pls

T

Tiptap

Think Gorge just didn't explain in full

It happens to all shades/rangers/BM's:p
I whinge about it all the time but it does not help and just makes you peeved.

Perhaps he meant to say it WILL happen, some people are idiots but you are better than them so /Ignore [random fool].

Also - I know during his 44-50 stint Gorge ran the list fairly and at least 1 lovely level 50 shade (now) was in a good many of those groups when her name came up:p I have not heard anyone say anything against Gorge about the way he plays and think he may have simply not clearly put what he meant.

(Gorge has difficulties writting if he cant flame BM's...:p)

I will ask him though!

Back to Thread. I like playing with rangers - they hold taunt, have fun and are always nice people!!!

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Appolgies if this appears to be a moan, its not intended to be, the aim of this post is to make anyone who is contemplating making a ranger aware of what they MIGHT have to face. I know rangers who have had none of these experiences, so its not prescriptive.

K

kinadold

Advice from another nerfed archer :)

1) Xp is hard face it. If someone kicks you from a group remeber who, and newer ever group with them again.

2) You need high stealth or you will drop from stealth before
shooting arrow, 45 modified atleast. YOU DONT WANNA BE SEEN BEFORE THAT ARROW HIT. On a keepdefense you will be nuked and shoot at if not stealthed.

3) Your melee is crap, accept it. REPEAT AFTER ME : I WILL NEWER
WIN A 1on1 AGAINST AN ASSASIN. Dont neglect it tho since you will need it sometimes to finish of various opponents.

4) About soloing in RvR. Assasins wants to kill fast and get fast away. You dont have stun move like scouts, but you do have speed. Maybe speed away, heal up a bit, then if you have, use true sight. If assasin is comming in he will eat arrows. If you friends is close drag the fight out (IP), and call them. Also use terrain like trees and only use black colors. Try to sit behind a tree and see how less visibel you are. Also newer move with your bow equiped, makes you highly visibel.
But forget just to snipe away like in old days. Nowadays you have to be carefull to survive, dont snipe same area for long time. For solo RvR you need FA/IP combo. Also face it, that sometimes an assasin get you. They also need to kill something sometimes or nobody would play them :) Also try keep track of the assasins out, ask where they kill people and move to another area if its very camped.

4) If you dont get groups for RvR try move with zerg, or maybe team up with another 'nerfed' stealther. An archer and an assasins makes a good team for most situations in RvR.

5) Try face a uberbuffed lv 50 shadowblade or infiltraitor and you will know they solo pretty well. In fact most of them are out alone. Against infiltraitors newer try to hit them. They all have dragonfang and high evade and then .......

Hope i helped you a little. Need you to get many RP so i can farm you :)

T

Tranquil-

As kinad said.. if you intend to use camo at all, get some stealth... allthough see hidden won't work on it, Detect Hidden still does, and with low stealth the assassins will see you from quite some distance still, I'm not 100% sure, but with about 45 modified stealth the bubble you can be spotted within is about 700-900 loc units(lvl 50). Can't remember the formula atm though... So if you intend to scout some, get it. Grouping

Oh.. and Rangers will get heavy recurve:( which makes them harder hitting and faster shooting than unbuffed scouts because of the selfbuffs..) Don't overrate bowspec though(to a certain extent), high melee will probably save your ass more often.

But most important of all is that speccs and templates won't make you a good player. Experience does, play, have fun and you will know what to do when.The experienced player hides his weakness and shows his strength.

Q

Quasimoto

"3) Your melee is crap......."
PLEASE, get your facts straight..... your mele WILL become crap if u try to spec stealth into the 45ish (as u suggested)

[I dont wanna hear how rangers are gimped.... cuz they arent... the only thing is that they are less uBer then when they were owerpowered]

G

gronk

is the 45+ stealth ment as specced?

cause u can easily get 45 in stealth from items and RR.
personaly i'm training up my melee atm, wanna get my Blades up to 39 and hopefully make some decent dmg.

at lvl 50 i'll have bow,stealth and blades at 50+ with items and RR.

to solo RvR, well kinad said it all :clap:

A

angrysquirrel

i know how you feel, i got angry to 41 then started a bard. bards are boring to play in groups but when it comes to rvr its great fun.

i also have a unique array of replies to ,

"rez me ffs" "buff me" etc..

look forward to sharing them with people in emain :)

K

kinadold

45 Modified offcourse.

1) You find assasins with ts or by hiding in a good place. Then you
pop some arrows into him and he has maybe 200 hp left when he gets close. Then you need decent melee to kill him fast, but if he
has IP ready you might lose aswell.

2) Assasins find you first and ....., then you can have 50 in melee
i still think you will lose. Then you hope some friends are close or
maybe speed away. Remember to drag fight out. Run away so he has to chase you, using his end.

Archers melee is pretty crap tho, so dont spec it too high. For scouts around 30, maybe rangers have benefits of going higher, but i doubt it. For most weapons in game you want to have modified spec >= 2/3 your lv. At 50 that means 34. Why, is listed
at many sites, look it up.

G

Gorguss

1. Always carry a small shield if your intentions are to group and be a tank.
3. All tanks can hold aggro at lvl 30+, this really is'nt an issue. If the mobs are hard to keep aggro on then it's mostly due to lvl.
4. Pick targets with your bow so it's easy to know what mob you are going for a 3 killing aoe grp.

Rangers are great players and an ok class :)

I'm really sorry I could'nt make it back here before the dmg was done, I was in a real hurry when I posted this and it might come out a little wrong :(

One point that might be of importance is that I've never to this day ever kicked a member of my group becouse of class or player performance. This might look like a stupid effort the clear my name but it's the truth, take it as you will.

And a big thank you to the support I got here ;)

What I meant in point 2 is approximately what it says but with a few modifications to make the meaning of it clear. When you are in the making of a team you sometimes have to turn down Rangers/NS's for other classes becouse the group simply won't survive if we don't have a shield tank and/or a pbt warden to guard our stalker class(yes, I almost always had at least one stalker). Having two Rangers or NS's in a group with both tanking especially with a 8 sec bub is hard on the healer, I've tried this once with fins and it did'nt go too well :b

What I now see is that I should have written:

2. Don't get upset becouse you get turned down by a grp becouse they need another class(be it Hero,Champ or BM).

I've gotten some abuse earlier when in the making of some EZ grp that I did'nt want to take that lvl 39 Ranger or 40 NS but the fact is that we would have a real hard time with more than one stalker. Think of it in the same way that we would be in trouble if we filled the last spot in the team with a second bard instead of a pboae chanter if we had no casters. A bad comparison but you get the idea.

Again, I'm really sorry I could'nt fix this earlier :(
I was thinking a bit about posting it but posted it anyway, sorry.

Gorguss (ranger abuser) out--

I hope you read this in time and don't look at me as some moron who kicks his team members, through the course of 50 lvls I've tried to be honourabe and have managed to be in a certain degree at least and it is really sad to see all that fade away becouse I post something really stupid once :(

A

Alrindel

2. Don't get upset becouse you get turned down by a grp becouse they need another class(be it Hero,Champ or BM).
Yes, I thought that's what you probably meant, and it makes a world of difference. ;)

I have no problem with being turned down for groups, and I fully understand why.

And for the record, I never believed for a moment that Gorguss was the kind of player who would boot a rogue from his group to make room for a more valuable player. I just didn't want to let the (mis)statement go by without comment.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by angrysquirrel
i know how you feel, i got angry to 41 then started a bard. bards are boring to play in groups but when it comes to rvr its great fun.

i also have a unique array of replies to ,

"rez me ffs" "buff me" etc..

look forward to sharing them with people in emain :)

lol, been there, done that m8, got Tall to 41 b4 i went back to my ranger.

H

hiane

I have just 1 thing to add to any realms that ignore the danger that a ranger can bring.

I am the silent protector of the realm.
I hear all but am never heard,
I see all but am never seen,
I will be with you at all times and you will never know it.
My Bow will sing it's song of death to all who invade our sacred land.

This is my telling to all who would upset the balance.

Durrell Lvl 2X Ranger (Na Suinn Catha)

G

Gorguss

Originally posted by hiane
I have just 1 thing to add to any realms that ignore the danger that a ranger can bring.

I am the silent protector of the realm.
I hear all but am never heard,
I see all but am never seen,
I will be with you at all times and you will never know it.
My Bow will sing it's song of death to all who invade our sacred land.

Durrell Lvl 2X Ranger (Na Suinn Catha)

I have just 1 thing to add to any realms that ignore the danger that a shadowblade can bring.

I see the ones that are never seen
I hear the ones that are never heard
I have a blade and it's thirsty for blood
I invade your frontier and go unseen mostly stealthed
I ownz y00 Rangers

(this is a joke btw, do'nt get upset lol)

N

Novo

Gorguss

For the record, Gorguss has been a constant support for Novo in his efforts to lvl from 1-50. We have been in the same guilds from Beta and he has always supported me, squeezed me into groups and helped me with items.

The reason i even made my first Fins group was down to Gorguss's honest management of the Fin's list. It was a miss post and thats it! :)

Gorguss is an honourable and thoughtful Chimpion.

H

hiane

LOL

Nice 1 gorg.

I will cry and never a tear will be seen

Bring on the clowns dont worry there here

Durrell

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom