ranger spec

Eiv

Fledgling Freddie
Used RBow:21, Stealth:19, Pierce:12, CD:6, PF:11 - myself. In "no BB-mode" n was quite happy with it... :) Not alot of melee dmg ofc :/ but bow did perform well!

Krom

Fledgling Freddie
dunno really, I started ranger (uber ofc ;) ) on Ys and atm planning 19pierce (heat azge) 19rbow 19stealth 5cd 0pf
while I have no expirience with rangers (still trying to find arcanister and level all ranger+hero+dru), but think that 9pf for speed only (no sweety pet) is too much
p.s. lureekin ranger

Xplo

Banned
That thingie to speed away is rly handy try to keep it in template.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Max your Bow, sniper spec is still viable in the BG's
at 24 bow you will get crit-shot VIII
Just as important would be a MP Heartwood Heavy Recurve, SC to capp your DEX and QUI.
The speed-burst at 9 PF is over-rated, don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but I cant tell you how often it broke on me just because someone sneezed in my vicinity, I prefered end pots to it, and didnt spec to 9 PF until BG3, even unbotted you will do fine with low PF in the BG's.

Rangers are immense fun in the BG's, having a laugh while dropping a poor savage who's trying to charge into melee range is great, 2 shotting, or even 1 shotting casters who are dumb enough to stand still without bubble up is even better.

This was my BG1 spec

Pathfinding 6
Stealth 15
Bow 24
Pierce 15
CD 7
no points left over

This will give you the best bow dmg, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that because rangers may have the best melee of the 3 archers you should go down that route. It will also give you the first STR and DEX/QUI self buffs and stealth resonable enough to snipe, and hopefully not get popped by Infs and SB's every 2 mins.

Best to stick fire proccs on your piercers, you're gonna meet a whole lot of assassins (and grow to hate them). Be ultra careful of pet classes (I hated BD's and Cabalists)

Stick with the TOA client, the /quiver is soooo handy. Nothing worse than shooting ppl with the wrong arrow type, If I remember correctly, I shot your skald in BG3 with blunts because I didnt change arrows in time, and then you turned me into an elf scented smear on the ground
:)

make a groundset distance macro for 2000 units, very handy when stealthed to ensure you get max shots into a standing target after he charges you when you first shoot him.

oh, and above all patience.
wait for the mids/albs to start ripping each other new ones, you can easily make 2 - 3 kills before anyone notices you, by that time you'll be running away to restealth.

SiddlesVonHell

Fledgling Freddie
all +5

18 Bow - Good bow damage and allows you to allocate spare points nicely
16 weap - Good weapskill and with PF your dmg will be higher than other stealths (don't expect to win though ofc).
10 PF - You can't really spec high in PF and I thought getting 2nd dmg add would be a good stopping point
19 stealth - speaks for itself
8 CD - Snowshower is invaluable, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hamro

One of Freddy's beloved
if someone knows a ranger spec for bg. its me..dont know anyone who have had as many rangers as me tbh.. :m00:

for my first ones i went 24 bow 12 pf 19 stealth

then i did 21 bow 9 pf 19 stealth 8 pierce and rest CD..both worked well if you had dex cap increase on the 21 bow one imo..the first one hits much better though..often one shot casters for capped dmg(493)

other one is slightly lower..highest i had was 473 on a fire wizz ^^

Helme

Resident Freddy
Lower stealth.. assasins will see you far away anyways waste of speccpoints. With 15+5 stealth you still do fine the 19stealth is just to much for something that gets spotted miles away.

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
Krom said:
dunno really, I started ranger (uber ofc ;) ) on Ys and atm planning 19pierce (heat azge) 19rbow 19stealth 5cd 0pf
while I have no expirience with rangers (still trying to find arcanister and level all ranger+hero+dru), but think that 9pf for speed only (no sweety pet) is too much
p.s. lureekin ranger

OMFG!!! it's bg1 ffs, leave legwpn behind

Tinneth

One of Freddy's beloved
I prefer to go

19 stealth
21 bow
9 PF
15 peirce

:) works oki for me

Krom

Fledgling Freddie
Good balanced spec Tinneth.
I made last 12th Nekrosniper almost same, 16spear 7bc
Can once again state that bow>19 don't have any noticable effect on damage, 19cb -> 21cb +5dex (from race) resulted only +9 weapon skill, what is only 1.1% bow damage
But! bow >19 gives you much less chance to drop from stealth when you nock crit, it's quite important.
And 16 spear (pierce) - I live with it because I have heat spear and maxed gear/BB...w/o it even n00b infi's will eat you
I still not sure what better: speed or 17pierce + 4 CD after evade style with good growth rate.

Formia

Fledgling Freddie
I've had 3 bg1 rangers.

19+5 Bow - I like to keep combat skills at toons lvl
19+5 Slash - Handy anytime style at 18 spec.
14+5 stealth
8+5 Cd - Snowshower , behind snare
10 PF - Gives 2nd dam add , speed burst

Can solo almost anything with this spec (BD's/Cabbies/ Well played necro's are still tough).
Buffbot'd i'd only lose 1 on 1 vs the uber tweaked SB's/Infils.

SiddlesVonHell

Fledgling Freddie
Krom said:
p.s. lureekin ranger

I am trying something similar to that spec too mine is:

18 bow
19 stealth
16 pierce
8 CD (snowshower)
10 Pf (2nd dmg add)

I can't put any input on how it is working because I only played ranger once and used bow only a few times.

Nerf instas though, I lost to a blue BD because I did everying wrong.

Shades

Fledgling Freddie
my ranger spec

Blackrain is 21 bow, 18 stealth, 18 pierce, 5 pf all +5 with 24 BB =)

sadly capped bg1 today after 1 week.

now for the long hall to 50<sigh>

been a fun week thou.

Krom

Fledgling Freddie
feel fre to get my /rude Shades
even with BB/SC you only can shot my BB and call you friends for backup when I fiting my spear in your ***

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Hamro said:
if someone knows a ranger spec for bg. its me..dont know anyone who have had as many rangers as me tbh.. :m00:

for my first ones i went 24 bow 12 pf 19 stealth

then i did 21 bow 9 pf 19 stealth 8 pierce and rest CD..both worked well if you had dex cap increase on the 21 bow one imo..the first one hits much better though..often one shot casters for capped dmg(493)

other one is slightly lower..highest i had was 473 on a fire wizz ^^

I know a few bg1 rangers who are in their 7-8th incarnation, you'd be surprised how many cap, delete, reroll and reuse their kit (one guy capped twice in a weekend like that, afaik he's still rolling bg rangers).

Imho.

24 Recurve, 19 Stealth (only if you plan on having +5, if not you need to make 24 or get used to dying a lot) 9 PF, 5 Pierce, 8 CD.

Shades

Fledgling Freddie
ah nekrosniper what a fun hour that was picking on your BB after making u eat dirt :twak:

still try not to take it too personally!!

And yes Blackrain/Mil/Milss were 3 rangers working as a team, and pretty successfully id say with the amount of death spams we produced in the last few days. we have a kills to deaths ratio of 5 to 1 which aint bad considering the lack of hib activity and the constant alb/mid zergs roaming.

It is sad when after u drop an enemy out of the middle of a full grp then u die and get the usual /rude /slit /laugh spam<sigh> such lack of respec!!

Krom

Fledgling Freddie
if you remember, I was respectful to you and Mil, /hug&etc, but after you twice tryed to kill my BB when I ressing myself my respect amost gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom