Ranger Spec Question

Jaina

Fledgling Freddie
im planning to spec 50 Blades on my ranger, my question now is, if i should put +11 Blades in template or better use those imbue points for better resists?

i know the dmg return for everything over 50 is not that great, but i read somewhere that the +11 in template will help when weaponskill debuffed.

anyone that can enlighten me on this matter? or maybe point me to some tests?

thanks

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
There seems to be some change in ws mechanics after the ws/con according too some people (higher dmg behond +51 blades), however i'm sceptic on whoever says what about this.

Anyways go for resists and I'd recon you wanne purge that ws/con debuff anyway.

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
Quick answer is, yes definetly put the +11 Blades in temp.

If you were a BM who had speced 50 Blade and 50 CD and planned to use soley CD styles, then you could start to make an arguement for and against using the util in temp for +11 Blades or not (slight increase in base dmg, supernova taking dmg from blade skill, would you solo much and fight assasins and thus be WS debuffed much?,etc)

Anyway back to a 50 Blade ranger, long answer:

a) You will increase your style dmg. The style component of your Blade styled swings will rise by the same % your overall composite Blade spec rises. So depending on your RR , and hence overall Blade skill it will vary a bit.

E.g. RR5 Ranger 50+4 Blades or 50+4+11 Blades. So from 54 to 65 Blades =
(11/54) * (100/1) = 20.37% increase in composite Blade skill = 20.37% increase in the style component of your mainhand dmg when using Blade styles (and supernova).

b) You will increase your base dmg slightly. Since the patch that introduced WS/con debuff poison, wyrd's 50/51 weapon spec maximizing your base dmg variance no longer applies. You still get most of your base dmg variance capped at 50 weapon spec, but testing has shown you still get increased avg base dmg going over 50 weapon spec now (all be it at a slower return compared to increases under 50 composite weapon).

c) When WS debuffed you stop your base dmg being totally nerfed and (probably more importantly) stop your to hit chance being totally nerfed also. Instead they get nerfed but not so drastically. The WS debuff from memory reduces effective WS by 24% iirc. So a ranger with (50/0.76) = 65.8 composite Blade spec after being debuffed will end up with roughly the same WS as someone with 50 composite Blade spec. ie

Then the obvious followup question is, what yields the most dmg:

50+11 CD and 50/51 composite weapon spec pre and after w/s debuff or

50+11 blades and 50/51 compsite dual wield spec.

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:

blades taunt got medium bonus to hit, CD taunt got low bonus to hit and the dmg style increased by your CD haste effect changes with your weapons speed, it's a dificult test :) .

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Matriarch|Sneakers said:

50/51 celtic duel! :p composite doesnt exist, it gets counted behond 50. On what does more dmg, hmm i'd say 50blades + a total of 50cd. Although you'll be missing on ice storm to supernova and the more dmg you get from doin more dual swings.

Tuthmes said:
50/51 celtic duel! :p composite doesnt exist, it gets counted behond 50. On what does more dmg, hmm i'd say 50blades + a total of 50cd. Although you'll be missing on ice storm to supernova and the more dmg you get from doin more dual swings.

Yah I meant 50 CD, and chosed to call it compsite aswell.

Anyway the question is just that will 50 BLADE spec yield more dmg then a 50 CD spec, taken into account offhandswings, diff to hit bonus and diff style dmg bonus from the two style trees.

Lots of yapping on VN/US n A forums about 50 blades VS 50 CD specs, just curious what you guys thought.

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
On ranger (low style dmg), with fotm slow weapons Malice/CW, I'd go blades.

Meradesh said:
On ranger (low style dmg), with fotm slow weapons Malice/CW, I'd go blades.

Isn't the low style dmg and slow weapons a reason in itself to go high CD?

More offhand hits making up for the lower style dmg, and also profits the slow offhand alot more, since it will hit quite hard?

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Isn't the low style dmg and slow weapons a reason in itself to go high CD?

More offhand hits making up for the lower style dmg, and also profits the slow offhand alot more, since it will hit quite hard?

unstyled dmg is the same nevermind of offhand speed the only important thing is dps dmg, yes sure you sacrifice offhand dmg with faster weapons, but then you hit faster with mainhand by the same amount of dps sacrificed, so the only real difference here would be .... mainhand proccing more with faster offhands and offhand proccing more if it's slower.

And about the CD and dmg style look at the table to get an idea about the dmg style % bonus with some CD values and weapon speed choices.

CD/DW skill ---- %swing ---- R-4'2/L-4'1 ---- R-4'2/L-3'4 ---- R-4'2/L-2'5

----20 ------------ 38'6 -------- 0'35% -------- 3'78% -------- 9'43%

----30 ------------ 45'4 -------- 0'41% -------- 4'45% -------- 11'1%

----40 ------------ 52'2 -------- 0'47% -------- 5'12% -------- 12'76%

----50 ------------ 59 -------- 0'53% -------- 5'78% -------- 14'42%

---- 60 ------------ 65'8 -------- 0'59% -------- 6'45% -------- 16'08%

---- 70 ------------ 72'6 -------- 0'65% -------- 7'13% -------- 17'75%

----LA user -------- 100 -------- 0'9% -------- 9'8% -------- 24'44%

as example I'm running around 60 composite CD and 4'2/4'1 weapons, so CD mechanics grants me, 0'59% style dmg boost!, on a 4'2/2'5 pair I'd get 16'08% dmg style boost. Hope it helps you.

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Solari said:
CD swings are calculated at 25 + (0.68*spec)
yes, at %swing numbers are calculated with 25 + (0.68*DWskill)

down R-4'2/L-4'1 ---- R-4'2/L-3'4 ---- R-4'2/L-2'5 numbers are the % dmg style boost granted by DW haste mechanic, it increases with higher DW becouse the more often you swing with offhand the more often you'll benefice from haste effect.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
imo 50 blades is utter sh1te.

and I dont give a rats arse what anyone else says about it.

50 cd is a must for a melee ranger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom