Random rebooting.

J

jaketo

Abit Ka7-100 motherboard (VIA chipset)
AMD Athlon 800
Asus Geforce 3 Ti500
Windows XP Pro

Right, this is really annoying me now!

This system has been superbly well behaved since about March, until last night when it suddenly rebooted itself for no reason. Came back up O.K. then rebooted itself again about 15 mins later. After that it just sat there and did very little. Both the power and HDD LEDs were on, but neither the power or reset buttons did anything. The CD was also thrashing away and the PSU was making an odd whirring noise. There was also no screen output.

After about 5 minutes of this, it started booting again of it's own accord, but only got half way through boot before it rebooted again and sat there again etc etc etc.

Strangely, during the 'just sitting there' phase, unplugging the primary IDE cable can sometimes start the boot process, but not always.

I've tested all the connections and I've taken out all the drives and swapped the PSU, but with no real difference. I've also cleaned the heatsink/fan on the vid card and the CPU. Vid is running at about 65 deg C and CPU at about 30-35, not that I often get the chance to tell..! I have a nicely cooled case, so I don't think it's a heat issue. Although if I try it againa nd again without shutting down, the 'up-time' does seem to get shorter and shorter.

Atm, sometimes it'll reboot during the POST, sometimes I get to logon for a few minutes. Nothing in Event Viewer, no error messages or anything anywhere. There's no obvious reason why this should have started, it just has, and it's incredibly annoying.

Anyone got any suggestions????

J

jaketo

Yep, it's a combi-DVD-Rom/CRRW. Been in the PC for about two months with no probs.

More info - it's not the vid card, as I've tried an old one and the prob still happens, and it's not the NIC or sound card either.

Running out of bits to test.....

J

jaketo

Not the DIMMs either. Swapped all those out. Anyone think it's time for a new motherboard?

G

GDW

Hardware conflicts aside Id boot her up in safemode and give her a full virus scan.

J

jaketo

Hmm, thought of that, but actually getting past the POST screen is a rarity, let alone choosing boot mode, let alone getting anywhere near running an AV scan... :)

J

jaketo

And don't forget, this PC's config hasn't been changed for months...

Y

Yaka

have you cleared the bios?

and i had a booting prob on me past 2 diff abit mobos, the layout for the connecters fer leds,rest an power buttons were different in the manual. in other word they were left to right on the mobo. long shot but it wont hurt to check

Users who are viewing this thread