Rampant Speculation

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
So, according to the latest grab bag, EA Mythic is adding 10 people to their Camelot staff. Seems a lot for a dying game.

Anyone else suspecting a relaunch with the next expansion, with real advertising ?

Would the introduction of a lot of new players (rather than just a few), overcome most of the hurdles to new players joining the game ?

How would it change the game ?

Darzil

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Well it was actually 1 vacancy for a light bulb changer and censi applied and got the job but ofc he had to bring 9 friends.............

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i doubt it would be a relaunch, with War 18 months-2 years away there would be little point in relaunching (potentially) 6 months before. it wouldnt really surprise me if the expansion had been canned. sure people will say DooooOOOOOOoooom etc but the games population is dropping by the week and has been for some time. EA are in the industry to make money (who isnt?) supporting a dead game or supporting a game that could be a contender to their MMO golden goose would not make sence.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
i doubt it would be a relaunch, with War 18 months-2 years away there would be little point in relaunching (potentially) 6 months before. it wouldnt really surprise me if the expansion had been canned. sure people will say DooooOOOOOOoooom etc but the games population is dropping by the week and has been for some time. EA are in the industry to make money (who isnt?) supporting a dead game or supporting a game that could be a contender to their MMO golden goose would not make sence.

Blablabla

- EA doesn't own Mythic yet so they couldn't have that kind of influence on them yet.
- No way the expansion is gonna be canned seeing as how far done they are with it.
- What do you call a dead game? UO is old as dirt, hasn't had a new player since before dinosaurs roamed the earth. But it's still making them a nice steady flow of income.

On topic: I doubt it will be relaunched. Other mmo's have tried this (recently Horizons failed horribly after signing a deal with a new distributor.) and I don't think it's worth it.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Darzil said:
Anyone else suspecting a relaunch with the next expansion, with real advertising ?

No. I'm assuming that the majority of existing DAoC developers are primarily working on WAR and they're letting some new employees work on DAoC. Get the most talented developers working on the newest game which is quite important to the future of Mythic.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Darzil said:
So, according to the latest grab bag, EA Mythic is adding 10 people to their Camelot staff. Seems a lot for a dying game.

Would the introduction of a lot of new players (rather than just a few), overcome most of the hurdles to new players joining the game ?

Darzil
These could be new devs who need to experience how an MMO is put together, DAoC is still a great flagship of the genre, so what better example is there? Before someone says something like "WoW is better pwndshit", DAoC put more things first in MMOs than any other game.

This could be a like a practice run for them, getting things like global patching, fixes, new engines and so on out there before they go to work on WAR when it goes beta and beyond.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Why relaunch? What benefit would they get from relaunching an already running game? Even with oodles and oodles of uncontrolled advertising, you can´t seriously expect to draw the attention of too many new players to a 4+ year old game. Relaunch makes sense at a point where the game is being revised and when critical changes are about to be introduced (introduction of NF for example). But at this point, there´s no reason why they should bother with the hassles of a relaunch.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:

Darzil

its just familiarisation of mythics tools for when they move them to WAR, you will see bit and bobs gettting added to the CS team's as WAR starts to make more progress..

:m00:

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
we need a lot more content and removal of the /level command - new classes, and new reasons to level.

unfortunatey the real issues is that seasoned players dont want to pve - they want to get to 50 as quick as possible, get their arti's / mls etc so that they can go rvr, whereas a new player wants to explore - but who wants to explore a deserted place with noone to talk or group with?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
rampant said:
unfortunatey the real issues is that seasoned players dont want to pve - they want to get to 50 as quick as possible, get their arti's / mls etc so that they can go rvr, whereas a new player wants to explore - but who wants to explore a deserted place with noone to talk or group with?
Or, the seasoned players don't like what RvR have turned into and are playing something else entirely. The "I only PvE so I can RvR" people are not the only people playing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom