Ram

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Ello there, I just wonder if anyone here could help me out. My question is : Can ram that has been damaged be a threath to another computer if you would put the ram in there. The case is that I have 1 gb ram just laying around and Ive only used it once and then I put it backwards in the socket (dont ask me how) and the motherboard died. So I wonder if its any chance the ram could damage my new motheboard. Would be nice with some help. Thanks!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Probably not if there is no physical damage apparent. Only thing I can think you might have done is shortcircuited the old motherboard. That is unlikely to create a new pathway on the memory to shortcircuit the new one.

Most likely though, the ram just won't work.

Part of me wants to ask how anyway ? Broke off the protection on the socket so you could do so ?

Darzil

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Probably not if there is no physical damage apparent. Only thing I can think you might have done is shortcircuited the old motherboard. That is unlikely to create a new pathway on the memory to shortcircuit the new one.

Most likely though, the ram just won't work.

Part of me wants to ask how anyway ? Broke off the protection on the socket so you could do so ?

Darzil

ah, but Im so afraid that if it damage the mb I need to spend more moeny to buy a new :p , well, actually when I was suppose to put down the ram, I thought it was the correct way but the ram was in the wrong way if you see what i mean and therefore I only had one of thoose "holders" down and then i started up the computer. Anyway, This was pretty uuuber noobish so It's a bit embarresing :p

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, if you're really unlucky you then get arcing between the memory and motherboard that usually fries both.

Not fun.

Darzil

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
CocaCola said:
ah, but Im so afraid that if it damage the mb I need to spend more moeny to buy a new :p
If both your motherboard and ram has warranty just try it out :p

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
Generally i find it a bad idea to put siegecraft in my machine... seriously though, if ram was put in backwards, could easily have damaged the ram, would say however, from working in tech support, its rare for components to fry other parts,

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
razeredge said:
Generally i find it a bad idea to put siegecraft in my machine... seriously though, if ram was put in backwards, could easily have damaged the ram, would say however, from working in tech support, its rare for components to fry other parts,

ahh allright, well. Still concidering if I should try it or not :p

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Highly unlikely that anything will happen. Even if the ram is REALLY fucked up.

with 99% chance you wont damage anything. At least if youve been using your ram normally (ie. not putting them in water or physically damaging them.)

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
crispy said:
Highly unlikely that anything will happen. Even if the ram is REALLY fucked up.

with 99% chance you wont damage anything. At least if youve been using your ram normally (ie. not putting them in water or physically damaging them.)

oh, thanks for the response. Think I gonna try it out when I get home. The only differnce between the ram is that the new is Kingston and the old are something else which i cannnot remmeber. But I hardly think this gonna make any difference. The only thing else that I can think of is that the Kingston ram is "CL2" meanwhile the other is "CL3" but guess its nothing particual about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom