Radeon problems?

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
From what I hear a few people have "problems" with daoc on radeons. I just got a 9600xt and had a couple of random crashes and bsods while playing daoc (mostly at semi-crucial points on MLs ofc), though haven't really tried it with anything else. Just wondering if this is the sort of thing other people have experienced, i.e. is it a problem with the game, or with something else?

Spudgie

Fledgling Freddie
I was getting the symptons youve mentioned when I built my comp a while back. Turns out it wasnt the 9600xt at all. Before you mess with drivers/BIOS/vid settings run a RAM test.

Use this http://www.memtest86.com/

I had a faulty stick of RAM, in so far to say that it produced 100 errors over a 5hour test. Only 0 errors is acceptable. Playing DAoC(and other gfx intensive games) stretches your memory more than surfing and playing solitare :p

Make sure you have the new Catalyst drivers on (4.9 now i think), previous versions (3.9 and under) did have some issues causing gfx glitches in DAoC. At this time my 9600xt runs solid as a rock, also make sure you disable fast-writes in your Bios and write-combining on the windows advanced gfx setup as this also causes some (not all) radeon 9600/9800's to lock.

After that try running it at 4x AGP instead of 8x. Then switching VPU recovery off. Then try 3rd party Omega driver etc, although the current offical catalyst driver seems the most stable so far.

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
Well I never had any problems with my old card, so hopefully its not the RAM. I'll try all that stuff though, thanks for the suggestions.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
I also have quite big problems with my 9800 pro, VPU recover being the main. I have tryed more or less everything to find out how to stop it. Turning fast writes off, diffent drivers, diffrent agp speeds(4x 8x) etc but still nothing seems to fix it.

Turning VPU doesnt realy help, it makes my pc work for awhile longer compared to if VPU recover was on but in the end the whole PC just crashes instead of the vpu recover kicking in.

Downloaded that ram test thing, maybe it will shead some light on the problem... once i get my floppy drive working.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i had a radeon 9200 and had few problems, using a radeon 9800 pro and have even less :)

i just used the gfx drivers that came with CD (cba to download newest ones, if its not broken, why fix it? :p )

Litmus

Resident Freddy
hmm i changed the DRAM clock speed in my bios and now it seems to be stable, atleast no VPU recover bollox in the last 2/3 hours.

harm

Fledgling Freddie
Running a good old Radeon 9700Pro. No problems what so ever.

I did however have afew problems when running with my old via based system. Obviously that was just the chipset/motherboard.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
coren my 9600xt runs fine.
did you put the latest drivers on it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom