Radeon 9800 vs 9700

L

LazyJim

So, when HL2 comes out and GAME sends me my pre-ordered copy, I want to play it in high quality.

I also will not want to spend any money on my computer again for a very long time, (only cos of a tight budget, I always want to spend money - just can'ti).

So, anyone got any views or links about if going for 9800 is necessary, or if the 9700 will suffice?

C

.Cask

My 9700 does alright. But you aren't really saving all that much money over the 9800 non-pro anymore. But then the performance gap between the two cards isn't exactly a ravine.

I'd say think about the other things you might want to upgrade in the future. Buying midrange is way more economical and if something breaks or you want to upgrade again then you won't be stuck.

From a students point of view, go for the cheapest option :)

C

Ch3tan

If you want to play hl2 in high quality wait until it is released and see what it actually requires for good performance and quality.

It may be a cynical view, but I am sure ati and nvidia have something up there sleeves that isnt cheap and is specifically designed to perform well on hl2 and doom3.

E

ECA

Originally posted by Ch3tan
If you want to play hl2 in high quality wait until it is released and see what it actually requires for good performance and quality.

Thats what I'm planning on doing :-]

L

LazyJim

good advice from everyone, thanks, :)

I will wait till I've tried HL2 before deciding what card I need. It's a good idea, and the price will have all the time it can to drop.

I heard somewhere that some-one will release the radeon 9900 with a copy of HL2! When this happens, buying a 9700 or a 9800 will probably be the level of technology / price compromise I usually end up with. But I fear I probably won't be able to wait quite that long! Only time will tell. :D

Users who are viewing this thread