Radeon 9700 vs GF4/FX

S

Sar

Which is the better card, as regards value for money, performance etc.

Are ATI's drivers up to snuff yet?

Tempted to get the 9700 Pro ya see, and defect from the Nvidia camp for the first time in 4/5 years.

T

Testin da Cable

ati's drivers are just fine. I have a 9700pro and it pees on my old ti4600 in high rez and eye candy

J

Jonty

Hi Sar

Just a flying visit :( TdC is right :D In short, the 9700 Pro is the way to go. Prices are dropping with the release of the 9800 Pro, so value for money is increased in that sense. Performance wise, the 9700 Pro is a strong contender, and is only substantially beaten by nVidia's highest-end products, which (generally speaking) cost more. Features wise, the 9700 Pro is effectively a generation ahead of the GeForce 4 series, and whilst the GeForce FX range makes up for this, you'd be looking at a high-end, and thus costly solution, if you were to try and match the 9700 Pro's level of performance. Drivers wise, ATi's aren't great in terms of their intuitiveness, but with regards stability, performance and compatibility, they're far better than they used to be.

Anyway, as much as I love nVidia, the 9700 Pro is probably a good buy right now. If you want some prices, I'll have a look for you (name any specific manufacturers you'd prefer).

Kind Regards

E

Embattle

Go to dabs.com and enter in the following in the quicklinx- 251VWS = £210

N

Nazgul

9700 beats GF4 hands down but in value for money terms not sure cos GF4 are mid range cards now and 9700pro is high end so value for money in the different markets needs to be compared....anyway I will stop this rambling

PS 5800/Ultra FX could be an option but are noisy in high end, and in mid range 5600 /Ultra FX but dont know about these hence my thread :)

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Nazgul
PS 5800/Ultra FX could be an option but are noisy in high end, and in mid range 5600 /Ultra FX but dont know about these hence my thread :)
Hello again :)

Just to clarify, the 5800 Ultra is pretty much unavailable now (if you want an insanely expensive card, which is admittedly rather cool, then your best bet is the 5900 Ultra). The 5800 (non-Ultra) is still available, but the 9700 Pro probably surpasses it in most areas. The 5600 Ultra is a cool card, but is aimed squarely at the mainstream market, whereas the 9700 Pro, although 'old', is still considered fairly high-end kit, and would outperform the 5600 Ultra.

And Deadmanwalking, do we really need those kind of posts? :(

Kind Regards

X

Xavier

For the money, without question I'd go for the 9700, it's definately the current DX9 sweet-spot, if you're not buying for a month consider the low-end NV35 which should be on shelves late-july and will have equal poke but a lower price tag >£200 (and Ultrashadow ;))

C

.Cask

Only drawback I can see is that the ATI TV-OUT software seems to be a lot worse then the nVidia flavour.

Might just be me but the picture on my TV is much worse with this 9700 standard then it was with my Ti4400. I believe it's because there is no option to select the type of cable used. With nView you could choose between SVideo and composite but with the ATI it seems to only allow SVideo. Which means bad quality when using a Currys TV-OUT kit like me.

Prolly a way to fix it but it was so simple with nView :(

X

Xavier

heh, do you want a ferrari for £50 too sir? :p

E

Embattle

Originally posted by .Cask
Only drawback I can see is that the ATI TV-OUT software seems to be a lot worse then the nVidia flavour.

Might just be me but the picture on my TV is much worse with this 9700 standard then it was with my Ti4400. I believe it's because there is no option to select the type of cable used. With nView you could choose between SVideo and composite but with the ATI it seems to only allow SVideo. Which means bad quality when using a Currys TV-OUT kit like me.

Prolly a way to fix it but it was so simple with nView :(

I find it the other way round, the output on my GF4 Ti4600 was horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread