Radar Love

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Lets give it two or three weeks and see how many people have been banned for using radar, if any people actually get banned :touch:

Thats if,

1) The radar detction is compatible with Euro servers
2) Radar users using the latest version can still hide
3) GOA finds too many radar users and doesn't want to lose money

etc etc

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
Lets give it two or three weeks and see how many people have been banned for using radar, if any people actually get banned :touch:

Thats if,

etc etc

if they didn't test that during the closed NF beta atleast ... ouch.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
If radar detection code is fixed in the patch they won't catch radar, and in some cases they won't catch radar variants. Yet some radar versions they can catch, and if they can check for runing processes that meet a given criteria and they can change this crtieria without patching the game, etc. they will catch some radar users.

I don't RvR so I am not realy interestedin the radar issue, but I know how radar can work. Lets see. Since server side cannot check what to display with your camera setting what shouldn't be displayed, all such stuff are left to your client. All the information used by radar is sent in your way by zone servers. It happens in similar way in FPS games, etc. as well. If you know how to understand this communication, you can display all the data in various formats, including the ones you see as radar. Of course, radar is only one of the cheats, you can create automated PL bots, automated crafti8ng, farming, etc. based on similar knowledge. This happened to many MMO games and DaOC isn't an exception.

The netrowk communication with this program is undetectable, but daoc can detect the running process. Most newbies can get caught unless the updated radar doesn't have tricks that can be used to hide its presence. Like renaming executable file, changing some random data in it, to change cheksum of it, adding some random stuff to increase size of the process, etc. or running it on another computer. Packet sniffing can help you, and to controll the keyboard / mouse of a computer, you might need some cheap hardware. With SSL, etc. you can exchange sniffing with man in the middle attacks, yet they are still very hard to detect. And I haven't spoke about VMWare and other solutions you can see.

If you see people who PL for money, get RPs for money, get plats for real money, some of them use similar ideas to make money. It is bussiness for them, and by banning one of their accounts you don't win much, they will open new ones. Results: Inflation in the game, and you pay more for your SC, etc.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I'm putting bets on them banning a certain percentage of those they catch, making an example out of em etc, its one way to make it appear they are anti cheaters, but at the same time not losing as many players.

The reason I'm not sure they'll ban everyone that is cheating is because, of the incoming new games being released and in the works atm, which will harm their custom.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Esselinithia said:
If radar detection code is fixed in the patch they won't catch radar, and in some cases they won't catch radar variants. Yet some radar versions they can catch, and if they can check for runing processes that meet a given criteria and they can change this crtieria without patching the game, etc. they will catch some radar users.

I don't RvR so I am not realy interestedin the radar issue, but I know how radar can work. Lets see. Since server side cannot check what to display with your camera setting what shouldn't be displayed, all such stuff are left to your client. All the information used by radar is sent in your way by zone servers. It happens in similar way in FPS games, etc. as well. If you know how to understand this communication, you can display all the data in various formats, including the ones you see as radar. Of course, radar is only one of the cheats, you can create automated PL bots, automated crafti8ng, farming, etc. based on similar knowledge. This happened to many MMO games and DaOC isn't an exception.

The netrowk communication with this program is undetectable, but daoc can detect the running process. Most newbies can get caught unless the updated radar doesn't have tricks that can be used to hide its presence. Like renaming executable file, changing some random data in it, to change cheksum of it, adding some random stuff to increase size of the process, etc. or running it on another computer. Packet sniffing can help you, and to controll the keyboard / mouse of a computer, you might need some cheap hardware. With SSL, etc. you can exchange sniffing with man in the middle attacks, yet they are still very hard to detect. And I haven't spoke about VMWare and other solutions you can see.

If you see people who PL for money, get RPs for money, get plats for real money, some of them use similar ideas to make money. It is bussiness for them, and by banning one of their accounts you don't win much, they will open new ones. Results: Inflation in the game, and you pay more for your SC, etc.
Over 700 players in the US will tell you to stop talking shit, and help them get their accounts back as they got caught using something you say is unstoppable. Thats JUST the banned ones, not including the sensible ones who took a freindly wanring from Mythic and stopped using it. Even the pay for radar forum sees its members dwindle daily as idiots get caught, including one of its developers who lost 2 accounts, lol.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
No bans yet, think its a bit too early to tell, cant remember how long it took Mythic to post on the herald how many people were suspended/banned.

Am still wondering if GoA wiill even put how many people have been banned on the news section.

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:

Thats if,

etc etc
i doubt it since mythic had a "special team"? to catch cheater so wont happen here i bet ;o

Herjulf

Banned
Well according to Rumour Erivoss and Requiel have been quite active in sniffing out radar users. The Ingame way.
infact i heard rumoured that some ppl got bannzored.

Personally i very much hope they implenent some "privacy intrusive" way to detect the "known" radar types.
Isnt just about anything legit aslong as they inform in the Eula or smt?
And by accepting we agree?.

Something like showing running processes etc.

Something similar to Punkbuster. i for one would welcome this as it might stop everyone more or less, if it runs on the same machine that is.
Odins eye or what the hell its name was, whatever think its discontinued anyways packetsniffed i believe. so might be hard vs those. unless crypto.
That kind of privacy infringment is something i am very much ready to take to feel that i can play fairly. Without getting run into from behind by those "l33t" grps out there.
Amazing how that happen often ^^.

Edaemos

Fledgling Freddie
I think goa have certainly started the bannings, i mean look at the excal rvr forum, see how many hibs quitting :)

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Punkbuster has more holes in it than a midgard warship. The only way they catch people is by checking certain forums. Private home made stuff is pretty safe as theres so many ways to hide what your doing. You just need to know certain stuff when they update the PB client.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Edaemos said:
I think goa have certainly started the bannings, i mean look at the excal rvr forum, see how many hibs quitting :)

There does seem to be a lot of high RR people quitiing, there are probably many number of reasons, but it makes you wonder why......

:m00:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No need to ban, eventually these dimwits will realise what sad fuckers they are.

Surely to God there is nothing sadder than opting to play a game, that has no prizes and purely exists for the fun of the competition and then cheating at it.

If you can't stop yourself, go and dress up as a schoolboy and enter the under 11's 100m race....ooh the glory.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:
No need to ban, eventually these dimwits will realise what sad fuckers they are.

Surely to God there is nothing sadder than opting to play a game, that has no prizes and purely exists for the fun of the competition and then cheating at it.

If you can't stop yourself, go and dress up as a schoolboy and enter the under 11's 100m race....ooh the glory.

is life not a game?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Edaemos said:
While we're going for idiotic stereotypes.... Do you play alb? :p

Minimez

Fledgling Freddie
DoaC needs its own radar.. People are making money out of making radar programmes and then selling them to Gamers.. They actually are pro-active radars with updates and patches applied to them regually..

Basically someone will WAIT for it to be safe again and then run it..

When will Game makers realise this and implement one thereselves, Its common sense ;o

Minimez

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
There does seem to be a lot of high RR people quitiing, there are probably many number of reasons, but it makes you wonder why......

Other games incoming makes people leave :O

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Ok its been 15 days since NF went live. Are we going to see anything in the news this friday about GoA banning radar users?

It would be nice if a GM could say Yes or No we are not going to put who many people we have banned on the news.

I am assuming that no news on bannings means that you dont have any or cant detect radar.

So GM's are you going to put the number of bannings on the news section?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Rumour has it people have been banned for radar...

rumour is good, it produces doubt, and gives no clear idea if GoA can detect radar and to what extent.

If for instance GoA say they have banned 40 people for using radar, then people will be more cautious about using it, and they will know to some extent that radar is detectable with the new code that came with NF.

Now if GoA are unable to detect radar or if the number are that low say 2, then it would be in the best interest not to post anything on the news, Why well it will show how uneffective it is and more people might start to use radar. By not saying anything, in essence not accepting or denying or even commenting on the subject they are political juxtaposing.

Which brings me to the conclusion that the cannot effectively detect radar either due to

lack of resouces/time/manpower
Updated Radars code is not detectable
NF anti radar code does not work
They do not want to lose any more revenue by banning players

Please GM's feel free to say i am wrong, althought i don't think any of you will comment.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge said:
Please GM's feel free to say i am wrong, althought i don't think any of you will comment.

I imagine they'll say something about it in the news if they say anything.

That aside it's quite possible the whole "Not mentioning anything about accounts" thing is going on - they've not given numbers in the past about numbers banned for exploiting etc.

Mythic broke from their own tradition of that when they started with the herald announcements.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:

The bans arent just to teach them a lesson, they are to help the other normal players

Flimgoblin said:
That aside it's quite possible the whole "Not mentioning anything about accounts" thing is going on - they've not given numbers in the past about numbers banned for exploiting etc.

depends on how they say it, they could tell us if "any action have been taken against the radar cheaters" without talking about accounts or numbers :p

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
Araudry said:
i doubt it since mythic had a "special team"? to catch cheater so wont happen here i bet ;o
Good for you then Ara ;) :clap: And where you been lately havent seen you in NF yet.. read deathspam of some Araud though is that you perhaps? hmm just checked your sig and apperantly it is you..

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
i dont really care how many they ban or if they ban anyone as long as they make the radar users stop or find a way to make radar useless.
As long as the obvious radar users get caught, wich btw is the only good thing about NF until now, strangely enough Camlann BB's don't get found so often anymore when hidden in a strange place... geee i wonder why?
if it's the anti radar code that's working or radar users is laying low atm i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom