Racism in eastern countries.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
What is everyones experience when it comes to racism / general disliking of foreigners in eastern countries such as Russia, Japan, Korea etc? How were you treated?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You're comparing russia as a similar eastern country as japan or china? o_O

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
What is everyones experience when it comes to racism / general disliking of foreigners in eastern countries such as Russia, Japan, Korea etc? How were you treated?
Saw a documentary yesterday about russia, the "ethnic pure" russian nazi's seems to hate everyone within their own borders who are not "ethnic pure" all the different people who came to russia during the Soviet era and after.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
An old friend's brother has just spent 2 years out in Japan. He's 6'2 with light colored hair in a nation where the average height is about 5'6 and there's no such thing as a natural blonde, so gets started at a lot very openly by the native populace. Apparently a few people have even said "Wow look at that giant Gaikin isn't he a freak" in Japanese sat right next to him on buses etc, as they assume all foreigners can't speak the language. However, in general they're a polite, non-intrusive people who will treat you well if you speak the language, and largely ignore you if not!

Couldn't comment on Russians as my one experience was on a competition tour in FSU most of which we spent in the competition hall or in the bar in the hotel. The ones we spent time with all spoke English and were well-travelled so probably not a good sample of the populace.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
I know for a fact that Russia is one of the most racist countries on earth right now.

China is very xenophobic but i would say in a different way than Russia. Russians are very hatefull when it comes to minorities whereas chinese just generally consider themselves above everyone else. They have done so ever since the days of confucius. The idea that China is the centre of the world is a big part of confucianism.

I really dont know about Japan or Korea these days. Although, their immigration policies do give a hint. Even though Japan is in desperate need of foreign labor they dont even want japanese immigrants from Brazil to move back. :p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Come to think of it, Sweden must be the most non-racist place. Well, further up north in Sweden, many people are even anti against their fellow countrymen from the far south, then i haven't even mentioned how they treat foreigners. But lets say middle / south Sweden, people seem open minded. Of course, there are always a group of immigrants that makes immigrants look bad, and same goes for the permanent residents.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It always comes down to where in a country you are. With a few exceptions.

Well, for example, Helsinki might seem as anti-racist and tolerant as the next "hippie community". But the fact is, especially scandinavian, have deep roots in tribal culture and different always causes unease.

It's not a racism of "kill all brownies!", while cookies can go unharmed, but more of a "Ooh...better sit on that bench three rows later, 'cause there sits a darker man" thinking and acting.

It's subtle, but if you're really looking for it, and listen for it, it's there.

It's more "depends on person".

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
HAHAhaha ha a...ha....

Yeah, i could also quote a single sentence and laugh at it, without it making sense. Let me hear your own thoughts so i can comment on it. Well, i exaggerated by saying Sweden is the "most non racist place", thou i think its far down on the list of most racist countries. But, of course there are many factors that comes into play.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
You people have got to be kidding me. :p

Scandinavia is the most liberal and tolerant place on earth. Yes im sure there is racism but compared to the rest of the world its nothing.

For some reason we never give ourselves credit for anything. Scandinavia, along with some other western european countries, is the best place on earth on any scale. Yet people are so eager to hate their own countries here. Ive never quite found out why..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Politically tolerant and personally tolerant are two very different things.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Politically tolerant and personally tolerant are two very different things.

And obviously we're all nazis on the inside while the rest of the world "just express their emotions more"

I know you think its trendy to hate everything thats white and love everything thats black (especially if it preachers religious intolerance and anti-semitism)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And obviously we're all nazis on the inside while the rest of the world "just express their emotions more"

I know you think its trendy to hate everything thats white and love everything thats black (especially if it preachers religious intolerance and anti-semitism)

Hmm, interesting assumptions.

I never said people are nazis, or even close to that. Just racist. I even explained how.

Nor did i say "hate whitey", nothing to that direction.

And religious intolerance and anti-semitism? That's so absurd when considering who you're talking to.

gohan

FH is my second home
well done toht jolly good show old fellow

Attachments

• 6thbook.jpg
    6thbook.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom