QW noob needs help !

T

throdgrain

Hi, well I dusted down me Quake 1 cd , last used on me 486, and installed quake, then patched it to Quakeworld. I can get online no problem, but I have 2 questions.
1. Can you run it in opengl? Only it looks a bit cak in software mode :(
2. How on earth do you get the mouse to look up and down, as well as left to right ?
Thanks if anyone can help :)

S

Shocko

I believe stuff about opengl and other modes, can be found in a readme file that comes with qw... I think it can be set in the dos script that starts qw.

To enable mouselook, enter "+mlook" in the console... :)

I'm not sure about how suitable it is for Windows, but QuakeForge is a port of NQ/QW, which includes stuff such as spangly particle effects... I use it for Linux, and it really is the business :)

T

throdgrain

If I enter +mlook it looks up and down, but now it wont look from left to right ??
Ps that u alberto ? Why you change ur name, have I missed something ? :)

S

Shocko

Aye... I accidently deleted my forum account, after trying to migrate it to 2 differant BW accounts(sort of, anyway)... However i would have changed name anyway. Shocko has been my main online name since like May last year; I'm not totally sure why i used my older name, when i reg'd here in august :)

As for your mouselook problem, you could try
freelook "1"
However just doing +mlook has allways sorted it for me...

H

HangTime

There is a guide to setting up QW here: http://www.challenge-smackdown.com/qwguide/

Probably the most common client used these days is MQWCL, which you can get from http://mqwcl.n3.net

To run in opengl mode, simply use glqwcl.exe (or glmqwcl.exe for morequakeworld). You can set resolution at command line using -width and -height, eg
c:\quake\glmqwcl.exe -width 800 -height 600 -zone 2048 -heapsize 33333

gamma will probably be too dark so use gl_gamma 1.5 or something, all the info is in the docs anyway.

if you cant look left/right, goto the menu and turn off "lookstrafe"

Users who are viewing this thread