Quick question, while I'm at work.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Where can I get distilled water from? I think that's what you call it... the water that conducts electricity less well than other water does.

I need to get some on the way home.

Cheers.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
Where can I get distilled water from? I think that's what you call it... the water that conducts electricity less well than other water does.

I need to get some on the way home.

Cheers.
Some deparment stores sell it for ironing, tho most off that stuff is just deminiralised (bit less clean then distilled)

or try car part shop, they might have it to refil car bats

Tzan

Fledgling Freddie
Don't know how you call them there but here we call them Super Markets (big department stores basically for house needs). They are selling distilled water there. Check also shops that sell paints and stuff.
Dont drink it! ;)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
Some deparment stores sell it for ironing, tho most off that stuff is just deminiralised (bit less clean then distilled)

I thought it was called deionized ?

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'll try the nearest petrol station. I couldn't find it at Sainsburys :/

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Is this similar to de-ionised water? I see that a lot in the science class-rooms around here.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
I thought it was called deionized ?
and you are right i think, deminiralised is used to cool nuclear reactors and is verry corrosive :)

lets call it a hickup in translation :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Maybe. I need some to put in my computer at home :eek:

Vae

Resident Freddy
I think you'll find distilled water at Garden centres e.g. Homebase or somewhere like Halfords or other car part shops.

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I remember seeing any being sold, it was in Halford's for topping up car battery's

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Deionised/Distilled. They changed the name a few years back from distilled to deionised....same shit. :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Scouse said:
Deionised/Distilled. They changed the name a few years back from distilled to deionised....same shit. :)

No it isn't the same. Distilled is when you boil and recondense it, whereas Deionized is passing the water through an electrical process. Both purify the water in different ways but Deionized is faster and cheaper, but less effective and less "pure" than Distilled.

Both methods will remove the necessary minerals required, particularly for things like car batteries.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
I couldn't tell you where to get one but what we use here is a cylinder which you connect to the tap and it de-ionises the tap water. :)

I'm guessing this is for a water-cooling system? I'm far too much of a girl to let too much water anywhere near my pc. :D

Mr.Monkey3

Fledgling Freddie
Get it from halfords/homebase/DIY etc.

Distilled water is obtained by distillation, and is "pure" water. Tainted only by its container.

De-ionised water has all the reactive ions removed. It should be totally unreactive. Use it incombination with some anti-algea and corrosion inhibitor, and it'll work a treat with your watercooling system.

fyi I use the de-ionised water. Distilled water is harder to come by, but it easy to make yourself if you don't mind buying some chemistry kit.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The end product is essentially the same in both cases (for clown's purpose anyway).

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Mr.Monkey3 said:
Distilled water is obtained by distillation, and is "pure" water. Tainted only by its container.

Not 100% right. Purity of water is measured in electrical resistance (once you get to a certain level of purity - before that you can just use parts per million of dissolved solids) - the higher the resistance the purer the water since there's less ions present to carry a charge.

Simple distilled water done "at home" as it were will possibly hit 1-5 megaohms (can't do the symbol dammit, it's a capital M and a capital omega), laboratory grade distilled & double-deionised water will get up to 10+ megaohms but stick a reverse osmosis system on that and a polisher cartridge and you'll get 18 megaohm water which is clean enough for most laboratory applications. For molecular biology people often UV treat that too and pass it through a 22 micron filter to ensure it's RNAse and DNAse free and sterile but tbh at 18 megaohms that's a bit belt-&-braces.

God that was possibly the geekiest thing I've ever posted here :p

Gumbo

FH is my second home
When I left Halfords they charged £3.99 for 5 litres of De-Ionized water. Where I currently work we charge a little over a quid.

Go to your local motor factor, rather than retail car parts place and save yourself lots. This especially applies to those wishing to fill those big bubble lamp things etc.

Mr.Monkey3

Fledgling Freddie
granny said:
Not 100% right. Purity of water is measured in electrical resistance (once you get to a certain level of purity - before that you can just use parts per million of dissolved solids) - the higher the resistance the purer the water since there's less ions present to carry a charge.

Simple distilled water done "at home" as it were will possibly hit 1-5 megaohms (can't do the symbol dammit, it's a capital M and a capital omega), laboratory grade distilled & double-deionised water will get up to 10+ megaohms but stick a reverse osmosis system on that and a polisher cartridge and you'll get 18 megaohm water which is clean enough for most laboratory applications. For molecular biology people often UV treat that too and pass it through a 22 micron filter to ensure it's RNAse and DNAse free and sterile but tbh at 18 megaohms that's a bit belt-&-braces.

God that was possibly the geekiest thing I've ever posted here :p
tbh purity is measured by how much "other stuff" is in the "pure" stuff you want. Ie H2O in this case.
Add a non-ionic substrate, and you still have "impure" water.....

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Mr.Monkey3 said:
tbh purity is measured by how much "other stuff" is in the "pure" stuff you want. Ie H2O in this case.
Add a non-ionic substrate, and you still have "impure" water.....

Yes... but the usual contaminants of water after the usual purification processes used in laboratories don't include non-ionics, they're relatively easy to remove. It's the small ions that are a bitch to get out. Also resistivity of your water is easy to measure in real-time so you get an indication on an ickle readout on your reverse-osmosis system of how well it's working and if it's time to change the cartridges yet :)

Utini

Can't get enough of FH
I presume to fill his watercooling system wij

Clown

Part of the furniture
I went to Shell petrol station, and got some Battery Watey. I didn't know batteries needed water. This is de-mineralised water, hopefully that shouldn't fuck up my shit too much. I never was planning to spill the water, but as long as the insides of the system doesn't corrode or whatever from all that chemicals.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
I realise it's too late now, but the only place I've ever managed to buy distilled water was from a chemist, and the looked at me kinda odd when I asked for it. It was in the old Amiga 500 days, and I used it to flush out 3 empty Canon Bubblejet cartridges so I could refill them with colour ink. Ahhhhh... the joys of experimenting with full colour printing... the hard way.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Another quick question.

Clown said:
(19:03:26) (_Clown_) if i buy an oem sata hard drive, and a brand new mobo, do you think i would have to buy that cable to connect it to the mobo?
I needed a quickish reply because I'm getting ready to buy something... I wonder what ;)
I'm getting this motherboard, if it helps.
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard

Cheers, sorry, thanks.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The motherboard should come with 2 SATA cables, mine did.

You will need to get a MOLEX - SATA power connector, I bought one from PC World for a few quid.

You will also need the SATA controller drivers when you're installing windows. When you first get that blue screen and it loads up some drivers, you see 'hit F6 to install a 3rd party hd driver', hit F6, shove the floppy in containing the controller drivers, and it will load them into memory before installing.

I have them somewhere if you want them.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Thank you, you're a star. I dont have a floppy disk though :(
Do you know where I can read about what drivers I will need to get for my Samsung drives?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its the driver for the controller you're after. Are you on MSN messenger? If so, I'll send you the drivers that way. Clicky the linky under my avatar.

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
granny said:
Yes... but the usual contaminants of water after the usual purification processes used in laboratories don't include non-ionics, they're relatively easy to remove. It's the small ions that are a bitch to get out. Also resistivity of your water is easy to measure in real-time so you get an indication on an ickle readout on your reverse-osmosis system of how well it's working and if it's time to change the cartridges yet :)
The usual contaminants of water after an electrolysis purification are non-ionic. Simply because the only molecules this treatment will remove have to be electrically charged (ie ions). Filtration will only get rid of much larger...items in your water.
Neutral contaminants are much harder to remove. Infact, short of distillation, it's impossible to get rid of these impurities (without resorting to complex antibodies or compunding systems, which are usually massively expensive and suitable only when distillation isn't an option).

BUT no-one really cares about neutral molecules, as they don't cause corrosion (but they can be poison to you or I, but this is still for watercooling). :D

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Deionised water has had the ions removed by gel filtration and reverse osmosis/ UV treatment. Generally how well this is done is measured by electrical conductivity. Good quality deionised water is usuallly 18 Mega Ohm. Water like this usually is quite acidic, pH 4 ish in my hands. Distilled water is recondensed water from a still. Generally you can use a combination of both the get ultra pure water.

Oops, what they said above is right really. I should read more of the posts before answering.

On a side note you can order a liter of really pure water (from Sigma Aldrich) for £18. This water is guarenteed DNAse/ RNAse free, 18 MegaOhm distilled.

But... a couple of quid will buy what you want. Use garage/halfords battery top up water.

I use water from where I work for our iron and also for PC coolant, as things dont grow well in deioinised water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom